T Nation

Feeling Fat, Need Some Encouragement

So getting “sick abs” is easy for me, bulking not so much.

I’m at the most I’ve ever weighed which is still puny by T standards but I feel fat as anything. I look better than I’ve ever looked and lifting more than I’ve ever lifted but my stomach is constantly making noises, sleeping isn’t going as well as it usually does, and I just generally feel fat.

I’m only 160lbs which is more than I’ve ever weighed but I would like to get up to the 185lb mark. I usually sit naturally between 7-10% bf but right now I’m guessing I’m closer to 12%.

Just looking for someone to tell me this is natural while bulking and to just keep going… or to tell me I’m doing something wrong and what that might be, cause I feel like shit right now.

Are your lifts goin’ up? If so, that is good and you shouldn’t worry about anything. Just keep eating and keep lifting. Taking on some body fat is normal and if it really bothers you, start keeping a food log.

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:
Are your lifts goin’ up? If so, that is good and you shouldn’t worry about anything. Just keep eating and keep lifting. Taking on some body fat is normal and if it really bothers you, start keeping a food log.

[/quote]

how would you know whats normal for bulking? If thats you in your avatar then not much I would guess.

and to the OP… if you’re “bulking” then you’re going to gain a little bit of fat. You need a large calorie surplus in order to gain a good amount of muscle and that will usually lead to a little bit of fat gain. Dont worry about it too much and just keep lifting hard and eating a little bit cleaner with more than maintenance calories.

.greg.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:

[/quote]

how would you know whats normal for bulking? If thats you in your avatar then not much I would guess.

and to the OP… if you’re “bulking” then you’re going to gain a little bit of fat. You need a large calorie surplus in order to gain a good amount of muscle and that will usually lead to a little bit of fat gain. Dont worry about it too much and just keep lifting hard and eating a little bit cleaner with more than maintenance calories.

.greg.[/quote]

Considering you basically agreed with what I said, how was your first comment necessary? Don’t try and discredit my knowledge by my avatar that is two years old.

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:

[/quote]

.greg.[/quote]

I wasnt really trying to discredit your knowledge, I was legitimately asking what you knew was normal for bulking? but after re reading it it did come across as a dickhead type of comment, which I didn’t really intend it to, so I apologize.

.greg.

Considering you basically agreed with what I said, how was your first comment necessary? Don’t try and discredit my knowledge by my avatar that is two years old.[/quote]

I would say that Bulking does not have to equal Fat gain.

If you work to make your bulk a “clean bulk” the majority of the weight you gain can and should be muscle mass.
This means don’t be eating a bunch of crappy food because your “bulking” All the good food like learn protein, healthy fats and clean carbohydrates are bulk foods it all depends on the amount and ratios of food.

As a naturally lean guy you are going to need a bunch of food to bulk that is true, 500 above maintenance adjusted for exercise and lifestyle is where i personally would aim but this changes depending on the person.

A couple things if fat gain gets out of control you can do:
Cut back slightly but make sure that you keep ample protein and really quality para-workout nutrition
Add 1-2 HIIT sessions to your schedule, HIIT training can actually help with controlling fat loss without tapping into muscle fibers.

Another thing to remember is that as you try to gain weight you will gain water weight, alot of times people will see about a 1:1 ratio of water weight fat weight. So some of your bloating and loss of “hawt abz” is water.

All that said if anyone wants to flame me cause i am new to the site enjoy!
Bulk clean, workout hard and you will make mass gains.

encouragement
It’s allllll good. I think the hardest part for naturally skinny people is learning how to eat. But as long as you’re training hard and your lifts are going up, you’ll do fine and you won’t end up like that “Bulk Fail” demotivational.

So yeah. Don’t get discouraged. I tried to eat “super clean” or as clean as possible on a limited menu, and that didn’t turn out to well. I was dragging ass in the gym. I say this because I get the feeling you might be tempted to cut or recomp in the middle of a bulk lol.

I too feel fat at times, but it’s all good.

encouragement

[quote]JudsonFit wrote:
I would say that Bulking does not have to equal Fat gain.

If you work to make your bulk a “clean bulk” the majority of the weight you gain can and should be muscle mass.
This means don’t be eating a bunch of crappy food because your “bulking” All the good food like learn protein, healthy fats and clean carbohydrates are bulk foods it all depends on the amount and ratios of food.

As a naturally lean guy you are going to need a bunch of food to bulk that is true, 500 above maintenance adjusted for exercise and lifestyle is where i personally would aim but this changes depending on the person.

A couple things if fat gain gets out of control you can do:
Cut back slightly but make sure that you keep ample protein and really quality para-workout nutrition
Add 1-2 HIIT sessions to your schedule, HIIT training can actually help with controlling fat loss without tapping into muscle fibers.

Another thing to remember is that as you try to gain weight you will gain water weight, alot of times people will see about a 1:1 ratio of water weight fat weight. So some of your bloating and loss of “hawt abz” is water.

All that said if anyone wants to flame me cause i am new to the site enjoy!
Bulk clean, workout hard and you will make mass gains.

[/quote]

Are you big?

i was feeling fat as a house the last few days. My trainer got to me with the calipers before I jumped off a bridge and found me at 8%, so I didn’t jump.

Encouragement: Eat clean, lift hard. Make sure you are getting enough good protein and some good complex carbs: sweet potato, oats, brown rice. Keep a detailed food journal, every day, no matter what. You’re doing fine. get calipered, keep a journal and be patient. If you feel like shit after a couple of weeks of clean eating and journal keeping, you can talk to somebody and fine tune what you are doing. Be patient. Have fun. If you feel like shit at night with a full gut, eat a little less in the evening. Try some different things and see what works for you. I like having a small protein shake before bed, some guys hate it. You’ll find your way…and remember, it will be YOUR way, nobody else’s. Good luck.

[quote]PDJD wrote:
i was feeling fat as a house the last few days. My trainer got to me with the calipers before I jumped off a bridge and found me at 8%, so I didn’t jump.

[/quote]

gheeeeeeey

You are not fat at 12% sweetie so stop beating up on yourself.

Also, if you look better than you’ve ever looked that should mean much more than some silly number.