T Nation

Feeling Drained While Cutting

I am on the third week of my first serious cut. I am feeling a bit drained and I’m wondering how much of that is to be expected. Is that something that just happens and you just have to live with it? Or should I back off a bit on the training and/or up the cals a bit?

I think some should be expected.

but if you are finding it hard to stay awake or are getting headaches then you may need to re-examine the diet. maybe an extra cup of coffee or tea at the right time of the day would help. I know it does for me.

Buy yourself a nice BCAA powder supplement from either Universal or Scivation (Xtend). It staves off the headaches and keeps you from going catabolic. It’s a nice treat too, considering it’s pure protein and the taste is pretty good.

Check your hydration as well drink lots of liquids

Phill

The main issue was that I was feeling less motivated to train, a possible symptom of overreaching. However, I wasn’t sure whether it was that, or just normal fatigue.

It’s kind of weird though. I mean, I want to train when thinking about it, but on the other hand, when I was lifting yesterday, I didn’t really want to. If that makes sense to anyone.

I did notice though, when doing some HIIT sprints that my legs had less juice in them, something I’ve noticed when I’ve been low on carbs for a bit. So I did a carb-up after working out. Maybe the issue was glycogen depletion.

[quote]Phill wrote:

Phill[/quote]

I think it would be a huge assumption on this board to think he is eating enough food.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

I think it would be a huge assumption on this board to think he is eating enough food.[/quote]

I can’t believe so many people have responded with anything other than: “You’re on a diet. Deal with it.”

It’s like Oprah around here.