T Nation

Feeling Bench Press More on Delts

When i Bench, i feel the exercise more on my Delts than my Chest and Triceps.

How can i perfect my form to feel the tension more on the Pecs ?

Pre-exhaust on the pec-dec?
Use dumbells?
Lower the weight and actually feel the chest contracting as you push the weight?
Arch in the back slightly, chest up and shoulder blades piched back?

[quote]ESX wrote:
Use dumbells?
Lower the weight and actually feel the chest contracting as you push the weight?
[/quote]

All good suggestions. I’ve made use of them all at various times due to my natural inclination as an arm bencher. Understanding how to pinch your shoulder blades back and truly contract the pecs will make a world of difference IMO.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]ESX wrote:
Use dumbells?
[/quote]

All good suggestions. I’ve made use of them all at various times due to my natural inclination as an arm bencher. Understanding how to pinch your shoulder blades back and truly contract the pecs will make a world of difference IMO.

S[/quote]

this. Go slow, with the blades back and pinched, hold it on the chest for a second, then press up moderate slowly, using ur pecs. If you cant feel it doing this, then you just dont know how yo use your pecs period, not just with benching.

Thanks everybody for the advice, i feel the tension in my pecs when i bench. Just was wondering why i felt it more on my shoulders. Chest day today, time to try arching my back a little bit, & pinching my shoulders back.

[quote]ESX wrote:
Use dumbells?

[/quote]

It’s a common problem and the list above are the things to try.