Feeling a Little Sick on Low Carb Diet

I have recently started a low carb diet where I’m getting around 30g carbs/day. I don’t know my bodyfat % but I would estimate it is over 25%. I’m 5’9" 221 lbs. I have been feeling slightly nauseous and feeling hot then cold throughout the day today. Is this pretty normal? I’m assuming my body is adjusting to the very low carbs/higher fat/high protein diet. Before my diet consisted of eating whatever I wanted including lots of pizza, burgers, fries, pasta, rice, potatoes, pop and chips.

I have been eating eggs, chicken, steak, variety veggies, almonds, and very little fruit
cooking with butter or vegetable oil or EVOO…

supplements are Flameout and ON whey

Any thought on this?

Thanks in advance!

i have just done two weeks of 20g carb per day - and that was incidental from protein shakes, with no ill effects whatsoever - it was great. Main foods were steak and eggs.
However, previously the only difference was dextrose powder around training and potatoes post, so the change wasnt so severe as yours seems to have been.

Stick with it for at least two weeks, if you still feel like crap, try something else.
Could you write out exactly what you eat?

Drink Plenty of water. (4 liters/day)

If I am cutting down on the carbs I like to have zero calorie drink that is sweet during the day. My opinion is that the sweetness tricks my body into thinking it is getting carbs.

Ive never had those issues on low carb diets. I found when I get in a fog though, its usually because I need to eat more fat.

+1 for knowing exactly what you are eating.

Im not an expert by any means, but if you just started eating like that after eating total crap previously, you’re not going to feel normal. Give it some time, you should start feeling better then you did before you started eating this way.

Hey guys,

I haven’t been keeping numbers on my diet other than staying at 30g carbs/day. I took a nap and I feel a lot better even though I got 8hrs last night.

Today I’ve had:

6 scrambled eggs with salt and pepper. Pan coated in butter.
1 cup steamed broccoli

2 scoops ON Whey

1/2 plate of leftover rotisserie chicken white and dark meat (store bought)

I haven’t had anything else today—I haven’t decided what I’m doing for dinner but I was thinking either chiken with onions and g. peppers and a salad w. oil and vinegar or chicken stir fry (onions, g. pepper, snap peas, zucchini, broccoli) with no rice.

Edit: I lost 5lbs in the first week. Maybe I’m not eating enough?

I have had the same issue on low carb diets, considering glycolysis is how energy is produced it makes sense that if you cut your carbs you will be low on energy/light headed. I will say it gets better if you stick with it. I did a modified atkins diet and went from 280lbs to 226lbs in about 6 months.

I would recommend adding some complex carbs (whole grains,Sweet potatoes) and natural sugars (Fruit) and stay away from diet soda/drinks when I stopped drinking diet soda while on atkins I noticed a huge difference in energy level.

Hope this helps

You will experience low energy at points but you combat that with healthy fats for energy.
As far as feeling sick, in my opinion it has nothing to do with the low carb “diet”

Make sure you keep water intake high, your body could be flushing out bad toxins causing your ill feelings?

Thanks, I appreciate all the replies.

Up your fats and green veggies

I felt exactly the same way when I started on very low carb diets. Hang in there it should go away in less than 2 weeks.

I just dont think you are eating enough fat.

[quote]ARBAUGH wrote:
Hey guys,

I haven’t been keeping numbers on my diet other than staying at 30g carbs/day. I took a nap and I feel a lot better even though I got 8hrs last night.

Today I’ve had:

6 scrambled eggs with salt and pepper. Pan coated in butter.
1 cup steamed broccoli

2 scoops ON Whey

1/2 plate of leftover rotisserie chicken white and dark meat (store bought)

I haven’t had anything else today—I haven’t decided what I’m doing for dinner but I was thinking either chiken with onions and g. peppers and a salad w. oil and vinegar or chicken stir fry (onions, g. pepper, snap peas, zucchini, broccoli) with no rice.

Edit: I lost 5lbs in the first week. Maybe I’m not eating enough?[/quote]

That doesn’t sound like a lot of food at all. Did you have a big dinner?