Feedback Wanted

I would like to read about plyometrics to develop lateral movement, and jumping spin kicks. How to integrate that plyo. training with weight training for power (snatch, etc…) and with martial arts technique training. Thanks.

A follow-up article on how to write a maximal strength program based on body type/limb length would be great.
I can’t wait to hear you speak at the SWIS symposium!

The article on limb lengths was interesting, but what about articles based on shorter lifters? I never see articles geared for the vertically challenged. Not all of us are 5’10" or taller. And some of us are short with long arms and short torsos and legs. So maybe something geared toward us would be good.

Or training programs geared toward individuals who have more slow-twitch fibers but would like to find a way to become stronger (more fast twitch) or bigger (hypertrophy). Example programs would be great. And an article on injury prevention or better yet, an article on how to train while being injured!

Got two suggestions. One would be to write an article on how different training variables (volume, intensity, training density, stuff like that) determine the effects you’re going to get. Maybe just an overview or something. Another cool thing would be how to customize CPT for different goals (PL, sports, OL, whatever).

Im with Nate Dogg how about some help for us SHORTY folks.

Charles, I have enjoyed your articles in the past and look forward to more. My suggestion is directed to T-Mag in general but I would love to see you address it. How about an article on how chronological age (as opposed to training age) should impact one’s routines: Intensity, Volume, Reps, TUT, Recovery Time, etc. After all, we all age but we all don’t change our routines to accomodate it.

Hey coach. I was just thinking about this today in fact. I think a follow up to the optimal training for your limb type would be nice. Either that or something else I was pondering today…A precise method of determining one’s optimal individual time under tension for muscle growth, strenght, or explosiveness.

Charles:

I almost forgot. I guess this really doesn’t require and article but what are your thoughts on Chiropractic care and ART? I didn’t think either were of much help to me. Your thoughts. Thanks Charles. :slight_smile:

Keago

Thanks everyone, I’ll chew on your suggestions and see what I can come up with. Keago asked me about my opinion of ART— I’ve had it performed on me about 6 times with absolutely no result. The problem is this: ART is a tool, so when it is used by a skilled practicioner in an appropriate context, it will work. When used by an unskilled practicioner in an inappropriate context, it won’t work, simple as that. The best bet find a skilled massage therapist (good luck!) with multi-disciplinary background, who knows when to refer out to other skilled professionals such as DC’s, PT’s, orthos, etc., etc.

One other point I’d like to bring up since it was part of someone’s response to my query for article suggestions—TUT. There is NO optimal TUT for any situation or context, and in fact, what TUT usually means is lifting weights more slowly than what is possible— bad idea. I’m all for monitoring TUT, and in fact, i’s a key component of my training practice. However, MY goal is to always reduce it, not increase it!

Charles,
Your ideas about TUT (or lack thereof) are intriguing enough to merit an article! You yourself mentioned that some body types could benefit from slow lifting, and we don’t know how you feel about emphasizing the eccentric for different training goals. And as for using acceleration in place of TUT, how does the everyday lifter, without expensive machinery monitor that power doesn’t reduce from set to set? Your opinions on TUT and related topics would definitely be a fascinating read.
Brian

i vote for a football article as well

No optimal time under tension? I disagree. I think there’s several ways of determining whether or not one’s set duration is optimal.

I think you should write articles regarding your methods for hypertrophy and body composition. Also, an article trying to explain how to figure out the numbers of sets or exercises required for Hypertrophy, Power or Strength would be very original. However, I have a doubt… Is that thing possible to write down?
The last one: Periodization training for strength and/or hypertrophy. This would include your take about frecuency of training, muscle combinations, etc. I think that´s a lot of info, but just suggesting here

I am getting into this one a little bit late but here it goes… I would like to see an article addressing the almost never discussed third element… recovery. There are oodles and oodles (technical terms, of course) of articles on training and nutrition, but a paucity of articles on recovery techniques. I would like to know about E-stim, contrast baths, restorative workouts, saunas, different types of massage (including methods of self massage), stretching as it relates to recovery, how to periodize recovery (I understand from a discussion with a top track and field coach that he believes that recovery techniques should be changes and periodized like training because the body adapts to them), etc. I think such an article would go a long way to shore up a very obvious gap in information.

BTW, do you know Brandon Greene? I met him (via the internet) and he claims that he introduced you and coach Schroeder to one another.

Sincerely,

Matthew A. Levy

Thanks for your suggestions everyone…I’ll consider these and any more that are added over time.

(Matthew: Yes, I certainly know Brandon and have actually encouraged him to do an article for T-Mag)

Biceps tendinitis – how to treat, what movements are safe, what movements to stay away from, how to avoid atrophy.

Man I SECOND Matt Levy’s suggestion about recovery. I too think that there is so much info on training and nutrition, but not so much on recovery. I did order, Matt take this down, Mel Siff’s Sport Restoration and Massage from elitefitness. I hope this will answer most of my questions and what Matt wants to know also.

Thanks for the reply. Can’t wait for the article whatever it is. Keago. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion Sisko, but… I already have it! :slight_smile: It is an excellent (albeit very dry) resource which essentially republishes a representative sample of fromer Soviet papers re: restoration. However, it is still lacking in an application sense. It’s kind of like Siff’s “Supertraining” book and group, great as a reference, but somewhat short on practical application. I was hoping for something aimed at a level below slightly below sport-scientist.

Sincerely,

Matthew A. Levy

P.S. [to Charles] I just sent a message to Brandon also bugging him about writing an article :slight_smile:

Hey Dude I’m aware of Davies’s success (although I thought Kent Johnstone was the guy who worked with Green Bay?). I was just saying that some of his ideas, e.g. really short rest intervals, even no rest as in the 8 mins of gpp before his workouts would negatively impact upon the subsequent olympic lifting etc. It would also appear to work the type I and IIa fibers more than IIb. I’m guessing maybe his routines work mainly for fat guys who by getting leaner become faster. I would wonder how well they would work for lean guys since they don’t seem geared especially to increasing RFD, relative strength, or maximal strength. I maybe wrong and perhaps someone should tell me where.