T Nation

Feedback on Technique?

40 years, 190cm/108 kg. Learned from YouTube, no instruction, trained for a few months. How bad is this?

Its actually not bad as such.

The deadlift looks fine. I’m not a fan of dropping them personally but outside of a competition there’s no law against it. At the start try pointing the base of your ribcage down at the floor - that’ll get a batter arch in your back. Also try pulling the bar into yourself and getting your shoulders more behind the bar, but honestly those are just niceties that’ll improve a pull that is better than many I’ve seen. If you’re going 120 kg for reps, I’d recommend finding out your max and working more in the 1-5 rep range. Just make sure your technique stays broadly the same as you pull heavier. If you can’t maintain decent technique, the weight is too heavy. Good pointers for technique breakdown are: lower back rounds, shoulders come in front of the bar, hips shoot up too fast.

The squat needs a bit of work, but it also isn’t terrible. Overall, get tighter: make sure your upper back, midsection and glutes are locked in before you go down. What’s worked for me has been:

• drive your head back into the bar
  • pull the bar down into your back and pull it apart
  • pull your elbows under the bar
  • breathe into your lower back and squeeze down on that air
  • squeeze your glutes hard
  • you are now ready to squat: drop your butt down and push your knees out.

Coming up, lead with your chest and keep it up, keep driving your head into the bar and pulling the bar into your back and your elbows forward while you push your knees apart.

You do have buttwink, but it isn’t shocking.

Power clean I can’t help much with I’m afraid. It doesn’t look terrible though I don’t think.

Thanks! Just the specific feedback I hoper for. Mostly trying to make sure I don’t hurt myself being selg taught and all…

My pleasure. You’ll be fine as long as you’re careful. On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, also don’t be afraid to push yourself.

In other words, push your limits in a careful way.

This site is pretty good for information and feedback.

Check out your starting position on that power clean. Your shins aren’t vertical, and your knees are kinda in. As you begin your pull, the knees collapse in like Bambi.

Step to the bar with your heels a little closer together. Keep your shins at least straight up and down. Then push your hips back to get to the bar, don’t just hunker over. As you push your hips back, keep your back super flat and straight. You should feel your hamstrings “load up” with tension. Try to push your knees back if you can. So your shins are beyond vertical almost. You should feel really tight at the bottom. Like your hamstrings are the string of a bow.

When you grab the bar, think about bending it. Imagine rotating your pinkies “out” in front of you, and your index fingers “in” towards you. You should feel your back tighten, and your chest puff up. Your arms will be hanging straight down. In this slightly internally rotated position, you can’t really row with your arms. They will be kinda locked out straight. It should feel pretty tight across your traps/upper back.

When everything is lined up, you should feel very fast and strong. It should feel like your hamstrings start the lift.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
Check out your starting position on that power clean. Your shins aren’t vertical, and your knees are kinda in. As you begin your pull, the knees collapse in like Bambi.

Step to the bar with your heels a little closer together. Keep your shins at least straight up and down. Then push your hips back to get to the bar, don’t just hunker over. As you push your hips back, keep your back super flat and straight. You should feel your hamstrings “load up” with tension. Try to push your knees back if you can. So your shins are beyond vertical almost. You should feel really tight at the bottom. Like your hamstrings are the string of a bow.

When you grab the bar, think about bending it. Imagine rotating your pinkies “out” in front of you, and your index fingers “in” towards you. You should feel your back tighten, and your chest puff up. Your arms will be hanging straight down. In this slightly internally rotated position, you can’t really row with your arms. They will be kinda locked out straight. It should feel pretty tight across your traps/upper back.

When everything is lined up, you should feel very fast and strong. It should feel like your hamstrings start the lift.

[/quote]
No. This is not a deadlift. The width of his stance is fine. Knees going in BEFORE the hip extension is fine.

The 1st pull is initiated with the quads. This is just for momentum and to set up the 2nd pull. This means knees back, same torso angle until the shins end up vertical ONCE THE BAR IS PAST THE KNEES. That is where the 2nd pull starts. The hip explosion starts THERE. He is starting the 2nd pull too early.

All valid d.t.

Let’s agree he should not bend his arms, or row his arms, or start his 2nd pull too early.

We can also agree that the first pull is about momentum, and setting up the 2nd pull. So if you heave too fast off the ground, or blast too fast with your quads, to get lots of momentum, you will be out of position to use the hips and traps to finish the lift.

All valid d.t.

Let’s agree he should not bend his arms, or row his arms, or start his 2nd pull too early.

We can also agree that the first pull is about momentum, and setting up the 2nd pull. So if you heave too fast off the ground, or blast too fast with your quads, to get lots of momentum, you will be out of position to use the hips and traps to finish the lift.

[/quote]

I’m not sure why you are saying he shouldn’t bend his arms. This is a clean, not a snatch. How is he going to get into the catch position?

His problem is he’s trying to hinge from the start, like a deadlift, not just blasting off the ground too fast with his quads. This is why he ends up starting his 2nd pull too early.

I agree on all the rest definitely.

Deloading week now. Will try to get a new Powerclean vid with improves form next week :slight_smile:

OP-
you’re doing a good job. You lifting environment is awesome. Your squat rack, and your front rack/catch position are both cool.

d.t.
I just mean if there is slack in the arms at the beginning of the second pull, you can’t pull as hard. Of course you have to pull with your arms to get the bar up to you to rack it. But in my experience, for myself, the arms don’t bend until my hips get really close to the barbell. This helps me keep my shoulders over the bar, and keeps me from banging off my thighs.

[quote]blundby wrote:
Deloading week now. Will try to get a new Powerclean vid with improves form next week :)[/quote]

For now you might want to just work on cleans from the hang. A lot of beginners do not consistently initiate the second pull from the same position every time they do a clean. This is a difficult thing to get right just by mimicking videos since it happens so fast. Focusing on hang cleans will fix the timing and technique involved in the second pull. Once your form on those is decent, doing power cleans from the floor is a lot easier

OP-
you’re doing a good job. You lifting environment is awesome. Your squat rack, and your front rack/catch position are both cool.

d.t.
I just mean if there is slack in the arms at the beginning of the second pull, you can’t pull as hard. Of course you have to pull with your arms to get the bar up to you to rack it. But in my experience, for myself, the arms don’t bend until my hips get really close to the barbell. This helps me keep my shoulders over the bar, and keeps me from banging off my thighs.[/quote]

Dude, there is slack in the arms because the bar is ballistic too early, because he is ALREADY HINGING FROM THE START OF THE LIFT. This is why I keep saying ITS NOT A DEADLIFT. And you don’t pull with your
arms ffs. The arms just need to bend so you can catch the bar. Whose clean technique are you following? Ripples’s?

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:

[quote]blundby wrote:
Deloading week now. Will try to get a new Powerclean vid with improves form next week :)[/quote]

For now you might want to just work on cleans from the hang. A lot of beginners do not consistently initiate the second pull from the same position every time they do a clean. This is a difficult thing to get right just by mimicking videos since it happens so fast. Focusing on hang cleans will fix the timing and technique involved in the second pull. Once your form on those is decent, doing power cleans from the floor is a lot easier[/quote]
This.

Also, the 1st pull is a leg press without a change in torso angle.

You can second guess my advices.

You can criticise my lifting.

But never say I use Rip’s techniques.

Hang cleans are awesome. Like facepalm says, they help with the timing of the confusing, contentious portion of the lift. This is great insight.

You can second guess my advices.

You can criticise my lifting.

But never say I use Rip’s techniques.

Hang cleans are awesome. Like facepalm says, they help with the timing of the confusing, contentious portion of the lift. This is great insight.[/quote]
Hahaha okok that was too much. Way below the belt. I apologize.

No respect in this thread.

blundby-
I hope you listened to dt about the beginning of the power clean. I looked at some Power Clean Progression Line Drawings to see what was going on. The drawings showed the exact positions/ technique he mentioned. It was much easier to see in the drawings than in videos. Those guys move fast.

blundby-
I hope you listened to dt about the beginning of the power clean. I looked at some Power Clean Progression Line Drawings to see what was going on. The drawings showed the exact positions/ technique he mentioned. It was much easier to see in the drawings than in videos. Those guys move fast.[/quote]
Dude, I appreciate the fact that you actually went and read up more on clean technique because of what I wrote. I didn’t intend to argue or post for the sake of proving anyone wrong, nor am I claiming tbe an expert at any of this, just sharing what was taught to me by some good coaches long ago.

I take every one of your posts pretty seriously. It’s important to “do no harm” to other lifters by passing bad info. I have done at least 200 “air cleans” during the past week or so and your way is better.

I spent some time in the spring/early summer doing deficit deads with a pause at the knees. It was great for the bottom of my deadlift, but it really distorted my power clean. I’ve definetly just been hinging reeaalllyyy slowly instead of “leg pressing” the weights off the ground.

Thanks, man. Glad I could help out.