T Nation

Feedback on Supplements & Diet

I’m 37
240lbs
BP 1RM 300lbs+
Squat 1RM 445lbs
Deadlift 1Rm 500lbs

I lift weights three days a week and do HIIT’s twice a week or mountain bike 15-30kms.

I have 1 protein shake in the am and one following work out. I Eat no dairy other than Whey Protein. No red meat other than game (moose, deer, ect.) Mostly lean turkey and chicken

I take 5g of creatine and 5g of glutamine both prior to after my work outs.

I also have been taking 8% Ephedrine 400mg at breakfast and 400mg preworkout along with 400mg caffeine.

I’d like to get stronger for sure but I also want to lean out a bit.

I have also looked into Testosterone Boosters like Zeus and wounder if anyone has had any success with this.

[quote]Madhue wrote:
I’m 37
240lbs
BP 1RM 300lbs+
Squat 1RM 445lbs
Deadlift 1Rm 500lbs

I lift weights three days a week and do HIIT’s twice a week or mountain bike 15-30kms.

I have 1 protein shake in the am and one following work out. I Eat no dairy other than Whey Protein. No red meat other than game (moose, deer, ect.) Mostly lean turkey and chicken

I take 5g of creatine and 5g of glutamine both prior to after my work outs.

I also have been taking 8% Ephedrine 400mg at breakfast and 400mg preworkout along with 400mg caffeine.

I’d like to get stronger for sure but I also want to lean out a bit.

I have also looked into Testosterone Boosters like Zeus and wounder if anyone has had any success with this.[/quote]

Unless on a serious diet and unless for purposes of buffering stomach acid, drop the glutamine. It’s a total waste.

I would lower your caffeine and eph. consumption and limit it to just prewo. Zeus has good feedback on other boards. Give it a go.

I would add more red meat to your diet and more protein in the form of shakes. What’s wrong with eating dairy? Milk does a body good.

I lift weights every day. You can lift more than just 3 times a week. Any particular reason you only lift 3 times per week.

No sure what you ea by a serious diet.

What about my creatine intake I have read some folks take on more?

Milk doesn’t sit all that well with me lately I use mostly rice and almond milk.

I began lifting about 6 months ago and that was just the program that was adopted.

day 1
BP 5x5x5
tricep pull downs, dips

day2
HIIT’s

day3
Squats 5x5x5
chin ups/ good mornings

day4
off

day5
deadlifts 5x5x5
hammer curls/ preacher culrs
day6
HIIT’s

[quote]Madhue wrote:
No sure what you ea by a serious diet.

What about my creatine intake I have read some folks take on more?

Milk doesn’t sit all that well with me lately I use mostly rice and almond milk.

I began lifting about 6 months ago and that was just the program that was adopted.

day 1
BP 5x5x5
tricep pull downs, dips

day2
HIIT’s

day3
Squats 5x5x5
chin ups/ good mornings

day4
off

day5
deadlifts 5x5x5
hammer curls/ preacher culrs
day6
HIIT’s

[/quote]

By serious dieting I mean getting ready for a contest where your body fat has to be 3-5%.

As far as creatine goes, I know some people swear by 5-10 grams per day. I’ll leave how much you figure you need up to you. I personally never go above 5 grams per day and I’m 245 pounds.

Your routine is fine if you are mostly concerned with strength, but if you want more mass I would suggest adopting a more “bodybuilding” like routine.

Eg. Monday is back, Tuesday is chest, Wednesday is legs, Thursday is Arms, Friday is shoulders/traps.

Edit: I should add, based on experience, that lifting weights more often (as apposed to doing more cardio) is a better way to lean out.

I’ll throw in a couple of pennies…

The amino acid profile of meats varies from one to another and this is why top nutritionists like John Berardi recommend you get your protein from a different source at every meal. Eggs, fish, beef, foul, pork, dairy; all have something to contribute.

As for the shakes, I recommend you read “Nutrient Timing” by Ivy and Portman. You’ll find that your shakes do you the most good immediately before and after your workout. I drink half of a shake 15 mins before my workout and sip the rest of it during my workout.

For post workout, I add a tablespoon of fruit jam to my shake to boost the high glycemic carbs when they work for you instead of against you like they do at other times.

Also, a couple of tablespoons of high casein (slow absorbing) protein like non-fat cottage cheese just before bed helps keep you from going catabolic while you sleep. This all has to be figured into your calorie budget for the day.

Keep your fat intake proportionally high when trying to lean out. You want your body “fat adapted” so it’s geared up to burn fat for the energy it needs. Of course you still need to be in calorie restriction, but lots of guys cut their fat way back because it is calorie dense and this is a mistake.

The fat in whole eggs is good for part of this with the added benefit that the cholesterol helps support testosterone production. Testosterone is made from cholesterol.

Personally, I don’t feel that the expense of “testosterone boosters” justifies the small boost they give you. You’d do better to use a very small amount of an aromatase inhibitor like anastrozole, but that is something you should research a lot before you get into.

Good luck!

thank you all for your feedback and you have given me some good places to begin researching.