Feedback on Routine

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
Keeping it simple is picking a proven program, doing it as written with all the intensity and focus you can muster, it will work.

Learning about the details of training and building a plan from the ground up is not simple, but will also work.[/quote]
This is a very important point.

I personally think it’s important to learn the details and understand how a lot of this stuff works, that way you have that knowledge to use in the future. But you can easily crash and burn if you try to apply that knowledge too soon, before you know enough.

My recommended course of action is to pick one reputable program and follow it to the letter for a long time. While doing that, go ahead and learn as much as you want about other programs and other training, but don’t change your training. Then, eventually, pick another prewritten reputable program that fits more in lines with how you want to train, based on what you learned, and follow that to the letter. And keep learning more and more.

And then eventually you’ll have a much better idea of what you want, how to train for it, how other people have trained for it, and can start designing parts of your own program.

If you try and apply the things you learn too soon, you’ll probably get sidetracked from your goals.

Also, the important rule of thumb from above… if something’s working for you, don’t change it (too much) until it stops working.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]sweet-t wrote:
Oh, I’m giving it everything that I have.

These bits of information from the experienced will only make me better. So far I see the need to focus less on the details and push. My routine is heavy in the abs department, consider less moves, Texas method may be a wise choice for my next routine, go for low impact and high reps one day, a link to a helpful thread and other great stuff. All useful and precisely why I started the thread.

Probably obvious to most here but good stuff for a beginner.
[/quote]

I’m not questioning your work ethic for a second, my point is that while all the things you listed above are undoubtedly useful, trying to factor all of them into your training is not “keeping it simple”.

Keeping it simple is picking a proven program, doing it as written with all the intensity and focus you can muster, it will work.

Learning about the details of training and building a plan from the ground up is not simple, but will also work.[/quote]

Sounds orderly and efficient. Fastest route from point a to point b. Thank you.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

This is a very important point.

I personally think it’s important to learn the details and understand how a lot of this stuff works, that way you have that knowledge to use in the future. But you can easily crash and burn if you try to apply that knowledge too soon, before you know enough.

My recommended course of action is to pick one reputable program and follow it to the letter for a long time. While doing that, go ahead and learn as much as you want about other programs and other training, but don’t change your training. Then, eventually, pick another prewritten reputable program that fits more in lines with how you want to train, based on what you learned, and follow that to the letter. And keep learning more and more.

And then eventually you’ll have a much better idea of what you want, how to train for it, how other people have trained for it, and can start designing parts of your own program.

If you try and apply the things you learn too soon, you’ll probably get sidetracked from your goals.

Also, the important rule of thumb from above… if something’s working for you, don’t change it (too much) until it stops working.[/quote]

I feel that this is a road map to success for a beginner. Your time and expertise are profoundly appreciated.

I’ll keep doing what I’m doing until I plateau, start the Texas Method and follow this plan.

[quote]sweet-t wrote:
I feel that this is a road map to success for a beginner. Your time and expertise are profoundly appreciated.

I’ll keep doing what I’m doing until I plateau, start the Texas Method and follow this plan.
[/quote]
I think your heads in the right place in that you’re willing and keen to learn. If you can keep the balance between this and keeping the simplicity and focus in your training, you will go far.

Texas Method is a great program, but depending on your strength levels Starting Strength may be more appropriate for you.