T Nation

Feedback on My Planned Fat Loss Program

I’m going to start doing Thibaudeau’s War Room Strategies for Maximizing Fat Loss here:

He doesn’t get super specific about exactly what to do, so I’ve picked exercises from his suggestions to come up with the following program. I was wondering if anyone could/would offer feedback/critiques and help me tweak it.

My goal is to … maximize fat loss. I’d like to shed 10% body fat in the next 9 weeks (25% to 15%)
I’m 35, 5’8" and currently 210lbs.

Day 1: AM Alactic work (interval sprints)
PM Heavy lifting chest/back
A1. Incline DB press - 4-6 reps
A2. DB flies - 6-8 reps
B1. One-arm row - 4-6 reps
B2. Straight-arm pulldown or lat pulldown - 6-8 reps
Perform each superset 5-6 times.

Optional:
C1. Incline dumbbell curl
C2. Lying triceps extensions

Day 2: Lactate-inducing workout 1
CIRCUIT A (12-15 reps per set)
A1. Horizontal pushing exercise – bench press
A2. Quads-dominant exercise – split squats
A3. Horizontal pulling exercise – bent-over barbell row
A4. Hamstrings-dominant exercise – deadlift
A5. Abdominal exercise – crunches

CIRCUIT B (15-20 reps per set)
B1. Vertical pushing exercise – military press
B2. Quads-dominant exercise – step-ups
B3. Vertical pulling exercise – lat pulldown / inverted row
B4. Hamstrings-dominant exercise – romanian deadlift
B5. Abdominal exercise – leg raises

CIRCUIT C â?? OPTIONAL (15-20 reps per set)
C1. Biceps exercise - hammer curl
C2. Calves exercise - Standing calf raise
C3. Triceps exercise - decline triceps extensions
C4. Abdominal exercise - reverse crunches
C5. Shoulder isolation exercise - seated dumbbell shoulder press

• 20-30 minutes of steady-state aerobic work

Day 3: AM moderate swimming

Day 4: Heavy lifting quads/hams
A1. Squats - 4-6 reps
A2. Reverse lunges - 6-8 reps

B1. Romanian Deadlift - 4-6 reps
B2. Good Morning - 6-8 reps

Day 5: AM moderate swimming

Day 6: Lactate-inducing workout 2
CIRCUIT A (12-15 reps per set)
A1. Horizontal pushing exercise – bench press
A2. Quads-dominant exercise – split squats
A3. Horizontal pulling exercise – bent-over barbell row
A4. Hamstrings-dominant exercise – deadlift
A5. Abdominal exercise – crunches

CIRCUIT B (15-20 reps per set)
B1. Vertical pushing exercise – military press
B2. Quads-dominant exercise – step-ups
B3. Vertical pulling exercise – lat pulldown / inverted row
B4. Hamstrings-dominant exercise – romanian deadlift
B5. Abdominal exercise – leg raises

CIRCUIT C â?? OPTIONAL (15-20 reps per set)
C1. Biceps exercise - hammer curl
C2. Calves exercise - Standing calf raise
C3. Triceps exercise - decline triceps extensions
C4. Abdominal exercise - reverse crunches
C5. Shoulder isolation exercise - seated dumbbell shoulder press

• 20-30 minutes of steady-state aerobic work

Day 7: OFF

On day 1 I would do flat bench press for A1 and I would switch B1 and B2. If you can do pull ups you should do pull ups or assisted pull ups instead of pulldowns.

On circuit A I would switch A3 with A1 although the program says you should do it in the order you’ve got already. I would switch it because if you do a bent over row followed by a deadlift your lower back will probably get fatigued and you might get lumbar spinal rounding which is bad so either switch A3 and A1 or do t-bar rows instead of bent over rows.

With regard to both circuits you need to be more concerned about getting from one exercise to another quickly than you do with which exercise you are doing. Think of the circuit days more like cardio with weights. My gym is sometimes crowded, full of idiots, and has limited equipment so I picked things I could switch to in a hurry and pretty much do with a barbell.

Everything else looks pretty good although I don’t know about moderate swimming. This program is really hard especially on a restricted calorie diet.

I think in another thread you asked me about doing the get jacked program. I will take a look at it.

Good points all around. I had already pretty much decided to flip the incline DB bench to the circuit day and move the flat BB bench to the heavy day, but good callout.

I’ll also definitely make the switch with A3 & A1.

I can’t do a pullup to save my life yet, so I’ll try targeting my back/lat workouts to really get myself strong enough to do them.

With the heavy days, is getting from exercise to exercise an issue, too? I definitely kept that in mind with the circuits, and feel pretty confident that I’d be able to keep it cardio-based with regard to how rapidly i can go from movement to movement… but i’m less confident I’ll be able to get from exercise to exercise with minimal rest at my gym depending on how busy it is while i’m there. That’s the sucky part.

[quote]ziggy55311 wrote:
I think in another thread you asked me about doing the get jacked program. I will take a look at it.[/quote]

Yeah, that was me. I’ve actually been looking at that one, too, while putting this program together… they actually look pretty similar in a lot of ways, as if Get Jacked Fast came about as a fine-tuning of the war room strategy article (not sure the timing of which came first), but there are elements that seem so familiar between the two in the first couple weeks.

I did my circuit work standing in one spot on the floor with a light barbell for most of the exercises.

Changing quickly is not an issue on the heavy days.

I can’t do a pull up to save my life either (I weigh 285) so I did them by putting my feet on a bench to take some of the weight off. If your gym has one of those spring things with the counterweight that you stand on that would be ideal.

I have since embarked on a German Volume Training program and I think I am going to get incredible results with that.

What is the get jacked program like?