Feedback on HP Mass Program Design

I finally found a gym that will allow all members to use the prowler, which will now enable me to try the HP Mass program as originally designed.

The only question I have on program design is how to think about the upper body exercise on the lower body pressing days. OH pressing is my weak area so that is my current thinking for the upper body lift on the lower body pressing days.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

Upper:

1. OH Press Standing
  2. Bench
  3. Bench from top half of pins

Lower:

1. Back Squat
  2. Deadlift
  3. OH Pressing Standing

For the back/foundational day, I’ll use a similar sequence to the back days in the Indigo Program. I’ll also do a ton of face pulls and band pull-aparts on the upper body pressing days.

Any feedback or tips would be appreciated

This is very similar to how I do it. I personally use the push press instead. I add in the back squat after my main upper body pressing day too. I also train with a friend, and because of a large strength gap between the two of us, we add 2 max reps circuits at the end of the main pressing portion but before the sled work consisting of Paused face pulls w/ external rotation (Rope Seated Face Pull - YouTube), seated cable rows with the attachment shown above (one of the few rows that I can use a lot more weight and focus on the rear delts and the mid traps while taking the lats out of the movement), bent over rear delt raises, and voyeur shrugs.

Also, instead of using a prowler, I use a tire sled that I built with my dad found here: (Build Your Own Sled).

On lower body pressing days, when it comes time to do the overhead press, I would precede it with an activation exercise for the upper body. Incline plyo push-up, push press, overhead toss, etc. I personally do this and would recommend it to you as well.

Keep on lifting man.

Colby

I found a blank template here on T-Nation that I think you would really appreciate too. It helps organize the program a little bit better. I did in no way shape or form contribute to this article, but here you go.

Colby, thank you for the tips! I was working on my own spreadsheet and that will save me a good amount of time. The home tire sled is bad ass too. I live in MN and somehow it doesn’t sound like fun to pull a sled outside this time of year :slight_smile:

I like your suggestion of adding the back squat to the upper body pressing days. I’m coming off of the Indigo program and I will miss squatting 4 days a week. I’ll probably give the HP Mass a good 6 weeks as written and modify from there.

I was rethinking my upper body pressing days after watching CT’s videos again. It made sense that the 3 upper body exercises should work in order as one long continuous ramp.

I think my new program will be:

1. OH Press
  2. Low Incline Press
  3. Flat Bench Press

Thanks for the feedback.

[quote]jpg2219 wrote:
Colby, thank you for the tips! I was working on my own spreadsheet and that will save me a good amount of time. The home tire sled is bad ass too. I live in MN and somehow it doesn’t sound like fun to pull a sled outside this time of year :slight_smile:

I like your suggestion of adding the back squat to the upper body pressing days. I’m coming off of the Indigo program and I will miss squatting 4 days a week. I’ll probably give the HP Mass a good 6 weeks as written and modify from there.

I was rethinking my upper body pressing days after watching CT’s videos again. It made sense that the 3 upper body exercises should work in order as one long continuous ramp.

I think my new program will be:

1. OH Press
  2. Low Incline Press
  3. Flat Bench Press

Thanks for the feedback.[/quote]
Squatting 4 days a week DEFINITELY feels awesome. I could do it everyday I think.

I’m glad I’m not the only T-Nation member still enjoying this program.

One more thing I would personally suggest is adding some lower body activation work after those main 3 movements (which look like a good 3 by the way) but before your squats.

And no problem! I’m glad I could help.

I am 3 weeks into the HP Mass program and I thought I’d just give a quick update on my experience with program.

Insights:

It’s another great program from CT. I wish I would have picked it up sooner.

The number one lesson learned from the program for me so far is the benefit of volume accumulation. By setting the same exercises and increasing the volume in the max training zone from week to week, you really get a feel for how volume accumulation impacts your body. On traditional programs, volume accumulation is typically paired with changes in exercises and changes in rep/sets so at least for me, I lose track of volume accumulation.

In HP Mass, the exercises are fixed, the reps are fixed and the main variable that changes is volume from week to week. It’s a great way to build work/strength capacity on the core lifts.

Another aspect of the program, I really like is the density of the work. Besides volume accumulation, another variable that can change as you progress with the program is to reduce the amount of rest time between sets. I find that I get into the “zone” faster on HP Mass than any other program and I can push myself to be highly efficient with the workout by really limiting the rest time between sets.

For those of you that work out with a friend with a meaningful difference in strength capabilities, I would highly recommend taking up 2 stations at your gym. By constantly removing plates and switching up the weights, you lose the ability to reduce rest time and increase the overall density of your workout (i.e. # of sets in given amount of time).

Finally, I really like the addition of the Prowler work and Weighted Carries as it builds both strength capacity and an element of conditioning work. I find that the sets of 3 are fantastic for the core exercises but I still crave a bit more extended work sessions (i.e. sets of 1 min). Prowler pushing on leg days and Weighted Carries on upper body days fill this gap nicely.

Just to review, here’s where I landed on my exercises:

Upper Body Days:

1. Standing Military
  2. Incline from pins
  3. Bench
  4. Alternate back squats and trap bar deadlift
  5. Added in Weighted Carries

Lower Body Days:

1. Back Squat
  2. Trap Bar Deadlift
  3. Alternate Standing Military and Bench
  4. Prowler Work

Thanks again for another great program. I’m constantly learning more about myself and training by reading and applying the principles outlined on this forum.

[quote]jpg2219 wrote:
I find that I get into the “zone” faster on HP Mass than any other program and I can push myself to be highly efficient with the workout by really limiting the rest time between sets.

For those of you that work out with a friend with a meaningful difference in strength capabilities, I would highly recommend taking up 2 stations at your gym. By constantly removing plates and switching up the weights, you lose the ability to reduce rest time and increase the overall density of your workout (i.e. # of sets in given amount of time).

Just to review, here’s where I landed on my exercises:

Upper Body Days:

1. Standing Military
  2. Incline from pins
  3. Bench
  4. Alternate back squats and trap bar deadlift
  5. Added in Weighted Carries

Lower Body Days:

1. Back Squat
  2. Trap Bar Deadlift
  3. Alternate Standing Military and Bench
  4. Prowler Work
    [/quote]
    The “zone” is amazing. It feels like no one can stop me from pushing that weight.

Noted - we do this often anyway, but thanks for the perspective regardless.

I love the addition of carries too BUT. Here’s how I do it instead. I am NOT saying either is best, but I did like to see that you gave an exercise list so I’ll do the same:

Lower Body Pressing:

1. Power Snatch or Vertical Jump - Activation
    2a(optional). Leg Curls - John Meadows style
  2. Olympic Back Squats
  3. Conventional Deadlift
  4. Push Press (Secondary Emphasis)
  5. Rear Delt Work (just one movement) - I usually opt for the rows using the attachment I posted above, but I often will do the Thib ‘Rear Delt’ Pulldown, shown in the video of the Assistance Work for Upper Body.
  6. Sled work for legs

Upper Body Pressing

1. Power Snatch or Incline Plyo Push Up variation - activation
  2. Push Press
  3. Bench Press
  4. Slight Decline Top Half Bench Press from Pins (crazy name I know, but it’s cool)
    4**. Decline Press (Sometimes I substitute it for “4” if the power racks are taken)
  5. Vertical Jump Activation
  6. Olympic Back Squat
  7. Upper Body Assistance Work CIRCUIT (4 movements usually - External Rotation Face Pulls, Rear Delt exercise, those rows, and voyeur shrugs)
  8. Sled work for Legs

Lat/Biceps Day:

1. Kayak Row
    1**. Thib LAT Pulldown (depends on whatever I get a better feel for that session… I often alternate either just to get a feel with light weight and determine it before I start my real work)
    SUPERSET 2:
    2a. Lat Pulldown (pronated)
    2b. Straight Arm Lat Pulldown

2. EZ-Bar Preacher Curls
    3*. EZ-Bar Preacher ISO-holds (Usually for at least one set, I’ll pick a heavier weight, curl it once and lower it half way down until I feel the most tension and flex them hard for as long as possible)

3. Rope Hammer Curls (1&1/2 reps sometimes, sometimes with a pause)

4. FARMER’S CARRY - I don’t go for 60 seconds. Probably closer to 15. It’s not the CT prescribed time, but I don’t care. I do 4 sets usually. I’m currently up to the 80s in each hand (This was quite the accomplishment for me because I’m 155lbs, 16 years old, and used to do the 60s for the same distance and time).

Anyway, cool stuff man. Keep it up!

Colby