T Nation

Feedback on deadlift program

Wanna get your guys input on this deadlift program. Saturday - 6 sets of 2 at 85-90% 1RM, slowly increasing resistance over 4 week period…Monday - dynamic day - 8 sets of 3 at 55-60% 1RM, increasing in 5% increments over 4 week period…Wednesday - good mornings - 6 sets of 3 at 80-90% 1RM, increasing resistance over 4 weeks…other exercises done on each of those days after deads/good mornings with emphasis on maintenance…fifth week do a max workout and then take rest of week off to recuperate…any advice and/or critique would be appreciated…thanx guys!

i would think that is (1) too much deadlifting and (2) too much heavy work on your posterior chain. deadlifting is very hard on your lower back and so are good mornings. try doing one max effort exercise a week - either deadlifts or good mornings. you would be better off alternating between the two or doing more good mornings.

I agree with pete. That is way too much posterior chain work, especially since you are going near max. I think that the traditional westside breakdown of two squat/dead workouts a week is a better set up. Do your max effort work one day and then 72 hours later do your dynamic effort work. Fill in the rest of the workout with more traditional repeated effort stuff. Plus, I have seen Dave Tate say that for dynamic effort work, bench is 3 reps per set, squat is 2 reps per set and deads are 1 rep per set.