Feedback for This Split?

so, in the past i mentioned that i would like to learn to design training programs and in a couple of years i might start taking into consideration becoming a coach (or, as they are addressed as here, a personal trainer). i still have to decide what i want to do with my life, but that could be an option.

anyway, yesterday i started putting some effort into designing a routine, trying to put together everything i learned so far (which many could argue isn’t very much, but still). i don’t plan on actually using this routine, not anytime soon that is. i’d rather not play dices and just go with one designed by a proven coach, like i’ve been doing so far. i just want to get some feedback as to if this routine is anywhere decent and what could be improved on.

so it’s kind of a bro split, and it goes like this:

Mon Legs and Abs
Tue Back (lats emphasis)
Wed OFF
Thu Chest and Abs
Fri Back (rhomboids and traps emphasis)
Sat OFF
Sun Biceps and Triceps
Repeat

Monday
Back Squat 3x8-10
Leg Press 3x12-15
Leg Curl 3x12-15
RDL 3x8-10
Leg Extension 3x12-15
Calf Raise 5x12-15
2 ab movements

Tuesday
Straight Arm Pulldown 3x15-20
Prone Lat Pulldown 3x10-12
Cable Row 3x6-8
Seated DB OHP 3x8-10
Seated Lateral Raise 4x12-15
Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise 4x12-15

Thursday
Low Incline DB Press 4x6-8
Smith Machine Guillotine Press 3x10-12 – hold the stretched position for 10 s at the end of every set
Low-to-High Cable Fly 3x15-20
Pec Deck 3x15-20
2 ab movements

Friday
Snatch Grip High Pull 5x3
Cable Row 3x6-8
Kroc Row 3x12-15
Prone Row Machine 3x8-10
Cable Lateral Raise 4x12-15
Cable Upright Row 3x10-12
Face Pull 4x12-15

Sunday
Rope Curl 3x10-12
Standing BB Curl 3x8-10
Incline Curl 3x12-15 – hold the stretched position for 10 s at the end of every set
Multi-Hold Cable Curl: 1 set of 20 s hold + 10 rep + 15 s hold + 8 rep + 10 s hold + max reps (this is from CT)
Neutral Grip Chest Press 3x8-10
Rope Pushdown 3x12-15
Multi-Hold Overhead Rope Extension: same as biceps

i can see a weak point of this routine being that there isn’t a whole lot of heavy work. i should also note that this is intended to be a bodybuilding/hypertrophy program.

now… i’m ready for being roasted

Stronglifts is better than this lol

1 Like

More legs plz…

1 Like

It’s all over the place tbh…find a simpler, tried and tested routine IMO.

Care to be more specific?

As I stated, I don’t plan on using this program, I designed it for learning purposes

Jesus christ how many more of these threads are you going to start?

Just do 5/3/1

1 Like

Jesus Chris, did you even READ my fucking post? I never asked for advice as to what program to do. I’M TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO DESIGN PROGRAMS.

You can either give me advice on how to improve my designing skills (or, I’ll admit, lack thereof) or gtfo

yeah, and the way you learn to design a program is to do a bunch of written programs to learn the basic principles. Then you can apply them to your own training.

You won’t learn it by asking a million questions, so just do 5/3/1.

Or a different program.

But not one you wrote.

Or gtfo.

EDIT: have a glance at all the other responses in the thread so far, all telling you to do a program written by a professional. Not think the fact that all the more experienced people than you are telling you to do that might mean something?

3 Likes

You need to present your objectives and rationales. There’s nothing here to judge your skills on.

1 Like

Got you. Will post my thought process and the sources tonight.

I’ll explain further.

I think programs are overrated. Never cared for most of them. I’ve seen noobs go to competitive levels using simple bodypart splits. Therefore, if you are going to program something beyond that, there has to be a specific purpose for everything you’ve put in that will, for example, yield vastly superior results or perhaps it may be customised to an individual’s specific needs or comprise of certain principles for long term progression in which future variations can be based on.

1 Like

Hey you want to learn about programming…run the shit you build and see what it does. How the imbalances pop up and screw up skeletal positioning or how it creates perfect body form. Lots more to program design than just throwing some exercises and rep ranges together. Not knowing what it is doing will screw up some folks. Best to run it yourself and see how you respond.

2 Likes

Stop doing this. One arm dumbbell rows @ load for X-reps aren’t Kroc rows.

They’re just one arm dumbbell rows.

2 Likes

So when is one allowed to call them Kroc rows?

When their name is Matt Kroczaleski.

What makes them Kroc rows and not just plain ole one arm dumbbell rows? (this goes to program structure and function)

Why are they where they are instead of where Kroc actually used them?

1 Like

2 Likes

Very glad you linked this video because I learned a couple things. Thank you.

But also, I’m confused about Kroc rows. He said that a Kroc row is heavy weight for high reps (I think he said 20+) but then he did sets of 6. I know Wendler said Kroc rows were essentially just high rep DB rows, is this correct?

Stop there. Look at everyone who gets paid to coach. They nearly all have 2 things in common.

1. They wrote programs/diets etc… for themselves and others for free for years.

2. They accomplished something themselves. You don’t have to be world class, but at least compete in something. The process of training yourself for sport will teach you how to help others.

If you can do more than 1 set, it isn’t a kroc row.

Kroc’s article on Kroc rows is probably the best answer here-

But the basic point is that Kroc started doing Kroc rows simply because she ran out of DBs to progress to, so she just kept adding more and more reps to a single set.

It’s just doing DB rows with the heaviest available DB in a true AMRAP fashion. Nothing fancy.

2 Likes