Fedor?

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
idk The New York Culinary Union have kept him at bay in New York for quite some time…he may have no choice but to give in if a combination of super stars like the Rousey Jones and etc. say they will boycott until they get their collective ways[/quote]

First off the person that was keeping MMA out of New York Sheldon Silver the powerful head of the Assembly has been indicted on bribery charges. So, I think New York will be opening up soon.

As for Rousey or any of the other big names that Dana White has actually taken care of, don’t look for a rebellion from them. They know which side that their bread is buttered. [/quote]

Perhaps not, but it takes a fighter with that kind of pull to keep a movement going…the Jason highs and Ben Askren’s aren’t enough to make headway [/quote]

I totally agree with you.

Interesting you mentioned Ben Askren, one of, if not THE best wrestlers to ever fight MMA. Why do you think Dana White did not sign him?

It has to do with something that I said in an earlier post. White is convinced the only way to please the majority of the AMA fans is to keep the game standing as much as possible. Therefore, Askren who is a real talent was not even considered by Dana White to fight in the UFC.

So, when you think of the UFC don’t think that they are the best of the best they most assuredly are not. That isn’t to say that they don’t have some of the best at certain weight classes, they do. But when you have such a bias against wrestlers you are never going to have every weight class with the very best.

Once again, a sign of Dana White’s manipulation of the sport.
[/quote]

I think the reason Askren’s stock isn’t higher in MMA is due to his tendency to win via Decision earlier in his career (ala Jon Fitch). Lately though he has been finishing people, so if he keeps it up that should change regardless of White’s shenanigans. Dana is all about the money, as you noted, so if he thinks he can cash in on PPV buys for an Askren title run you can bet he’ll find a way to sign him.

As for calling Askren THE best wrestler to ever compete in MMA, I would disagree, but I will say that his style of wrestling has transitioned to MMA exceptionally well.[/quote]

For the record I said “Ben Askren, one of, if not THE best wrestlers to ever fight MMA.”

One can argue if he is the best or one of the best, it matters not. The point is the same, Dana White is not interested. And if you look at the people he has removed from the UFC many of them are wrestlers or ground fighters. He wants stand up action not the best MMA fighters.

It’s not all about the best mma fighters it’s about how much money greedy Dana White can stuff in his pockets.

[quote]idaho wrote:
A question for my own education:

I am neither a critic or supporter of Dana White, but, I follow MMA very closely, in fact, MMA is second only to American football with the American military. A huge, huge following. So, who could lead the UFC or “MMA” better? Who would be a better leader? [/quote]

Anyone who didn’t try to “help out” (not fix) certain fights for certain fighters ona regular basis. He really helped MMA in the beginning and now he is really hurting MMA with his shenanigans.

[quote]Panopticum wrote:
And most slick business men wouldn’t care too much about fighters.
[/quote]

You just described Dana White.

[quote]idaho wrote:

I am neither a critic or supporter of Dana White, but, I follow MMA very closely, in fact, MMA is second only to American football with the American military. A huge, huge following. So, who could lead the UFC or “MMA” better? Who would be a better leader? [/quote]

Assuming and its a big assumption here, but a guy Like Rich Franklin. A guy who was a former fighter and turned promotional president I believe in OncFC. He has a huge fan base and is uber intelligent. Perhaps Couture as he has more mainstream appeal as a “movie” star and bigger name fighter

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
idk The New York Culinary Union have kept him at bay in New York for quite some time…he may have no choice but to give in if a combination of super stars like the Rousey Jones and etc. say they will boycott until they get their collective ways[/quote]

First off the person that was keeping MMA out of New York Sheldon Silver the powerful head of the Assembly has been indicted on bribery charges. So, I think New York will be opening up soon.

As for Rousey or any of the other big names that Dana White has actually taken care of, don’t look for a rebellion from them. They know which side that their bread is buttered. [/quote]

Perhaps not, but it takes a fighter with that kind of pull to keep a movement going…the Jason highs and Ben Askren’s aren’t enough to make headway [/quote]

Interesting you mentioned Ben Askren, one of, if not THE best wrestlers to ever fight MMA. Why do you think Dana White did not sign him?

It has to do with something that I said in an earlier post. White is convinced the only way to please the majority of the AMA fans is to keep the game standing as much as possible. Therefore, Askren who is a real talent was not even considered by Dana White to fight in the UFC.

So, when you think of the UFC don’t think that they are the best of the best they most assuredly are not. That isn’t to say that they don’t have some of the best at certain weight classes, they do. But when you have such a bias against wrestlers you are never going to have every weight class with the very best.

[/quote]

I think the reason Askren’s stock isn’t higher in MMA is due to his tendency to win via Decision earlier in his career (ala Jon Fitch). Lately though he has been finishing people, so if he keeps it up that should change regardless of White’s shenanigans. Dana is all about the money, as you noted, so if he thinks he can cash in on PPV buys for an Askren title run you can bet he’ll find a way to sign him.

As for calling Askren THE best wrestler to ever compete in MMA, I would disagree, but I will say that his style of wrestling has transitioned to MMA exceptionally well.[/quote]

For the record I said “Ben Askren, one of, if not THE best wrestlers to ever fight MMA.”

One can argue if he is the best or one of the best, it matters not. The point is the same, Dana White is not interested. And if you look at the people he has removed from the UFC many of them are wrestlers or ground fighters. He wants stand up action not the best MMA fighters.

It’s not all about the best mma fighters it’s about how much money greedy Dana White can stuff in his pockets.

[/quote]

I don’t think it’s about him dropping wrestlers as much as him dropping fighters who don’t finish people regularly or produce “exciting” (which I agree is a totally subjective term) fights. Weidman is a wrestler, Demetrius Johnson is a wrestler, Dillishaw and Cruz are both wrestlers, Lawler is a wrestler, Cormier is a wrestler, and Cain is a wrestler. None of those guys are going to get dropped any time soon though (even if they lose their belts) because they are dynamic fighters who produce exciting fights.

The guys who are wrestlers who have been dropped have been largely unable to produce exciting fights (Fitch, Shields, Phil Davis, etc…). As I said, earlier in Askren’s career he looked to be on the same track. Lately he has been finishing people though, so I think his stock will rise and the demand to see him fight in the UFC will increase.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ratings, and rankings are what will keep the UFC and all of MMA from really getting into mainstream Media. Boxing tied to some due part of rankings and cherry picking the UFC is beginning to follow suit sadly
Askren finishing people in a class below Bellator isn’t helping his stocks any unless he splits time in the middleweight AND welterweight divisions, make him a dual champion would add to his resume ALA Bibbiano Fernadez if I spelled that right, Dana wanted him, but he turned it down for more money with ONEFC

[quote]idaho wrote:

I don’t think it’s as much about White being a crook as it is with the fighters having really no unity or collective bargaining rights. One of the major reasons you don’t see athletes in the other major sports getting shit on/exploited while you do see it in boxing and MMA is because those other sports have players unions that can demand they be treated respectfully, paid what their market value warrants, etc… Without such “strength in numbers” it winds up being every man/woman for themselves against the machine that is the UFC, and unless they are shrewd business people themselves or have the money to hire a top notch agent, they often end up getting the short end of the stick, or you get shenanigans like the McGregor vs Mendes (instead of Edgar).

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

I don’t think it’s about him dropping wrestlers as much as him dropping fighters who don’t finish people regularly or produce “exciting” (which I agree is a totally subjective term) fights. Weidman is a wrestler, Demetrius Johnson is a wrestler, Dillishaw and Cruz are both wrestlers, Lawler is a wrestler, Cormier is a wrestler, and Cain is a wrestler. None of those guys are going to get dropped any time soon though (even if they lose their belts) because they are dynamic fighters who produce exciting fights.[/quote]

Your list of grapplers pretty much proves my point. Each of them are able to strike about as well, some better, than they grapple. There are also many examples of Dana White favoring some on your list. Cain is only one example. They brought the show to Mexico so that Cain could be showcased beating a Jiu-Jitsu (grappler)guy. He did this because he wants Mexican pay per view dollars and new that Cain was going to win. But of course even Dana White can’t get what he wants all the time and Cain was knocked senseless by the grappler. Who could have known?

Also, Lawler rarely takes it to the ground anymore as he has learned that Dana White doesn’t like that. Also, Lawler has become a good enough striker and can take a good shot, so he keeps it standing. Weidman the same thing. What you are saying in essence is if the person grapples but prefers to stand and fight then White will not remove them from the UFC. Once again…a bias exists against good grappling. The words “exciting fight” are merely a euphemism for “stand and punch” to Dana White.

You are a smart guy I’ve read your posts before you know as well as I do that McGregor would have never beaten an in shape Mendes. Mendes was winning every round until he ran out of gas and tried a desparation submission. You also know that there will never ever ever be a rematch between the two. Mendes will be cheated out of a title shot because he is primarily a grappler and would beat McGregor who is apparently a money maker for White (his fights are sooooo exciting they are never on the ground).

So, again as a fan of MMA I am disgusted with not only Dana White’s manipulation of the sport and his low pay for fighters. But, also his baias against grapplers. We will never know who the real best fighters are(Mendes being the exception) as long as that bias exists.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

I don’t think it’s as much about White being a crook…{/quote]

That would depend on ones definition of “crook”. Many, many fighters have told me that they have been cheated out of title shots, given inferior dressing quarters, had they walkout music messed with and on and on. Is Dana White crook? Well, he has stolen many opportunities from many fighters!

Well said, you are spot on. short of this there needs to be a rival league that in fact does treat the fighters right and does NOT manipulate the action. If such a league existed in time they would draw the fighters from the UFC and of course attract the new talent as well.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:

I don’t think it’s as much about White being a crook…[/quote]

That would depend on ones definition of “crook”. Many, many fighters have told me that they have been cheated out of title shots, given inferior dressing quarters, had their walkout music messed with and on and on. Is Dana White crook? Well, he has stolen many opportunities from many fighters!

Well said, you are spot on. short of this there needs to be a rival league that in fact does treat the fighters right and does NOT manipulate the action. If such a league existed in time they would draw the fighters from the UFC and of course attract the new talent as well.[/quote]

People forget White comes from being a BOXING promoter…However, I blame as much of it on Bonnar-Griffin, the fight that brought a lot of new eyes to MMA and the UFC from tuf and it was all stand up so people thought well this K-1 on steroids… Striking plus a few slams. People hardly understand good or great grappling either wrestling, BJJ, or Sambo.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

I don’t think it’s about him dropping wrestlers as much as him dropping fighters who don’t finish people regularly or produce “exciting” (which I agree is a totally subjective term) fights. Weidman is a wrestler, Demetrius Johnson is a wrestler, Dillishaw and Cruz are both wrestlers, Lawler is a wrestler, Cormier is a wrestler, and Cain is a wrestler. None of those guys are going to get dropped any time soon though (even if they lose their belts) because they are dynamic fighters who produce exciting fights.[/quote]

Your list of grapplers pretty much proves my point. Each of them are able to strike about as well, some better, than they grapple. There are also many examples of Dana White favoring some on your list. Cain is only one example. They brought the show to Mexico so that Cain could be showcased beating a Jiu-Jitsu (grappler)guy. He did this because he wants Mexican pay per view dollars and new that Cain was going to win. But of course even Dana White can’t get what he wants all the time and Cain was knocked senseless by the grappler. Who could have known?

Also, Lawler rarely takes it to the ground anymore as he has learned that Dana White doesn’t like that. Also, Lawler has become a good enough striker and can take a good shot, so he keeps it standing. Weidman the same thing. What you are saying in essence is if the person grapples but prefers to stand and fight then White will not remove them from the UFC. Once again…a bias exists against good grappling. The words “exciting fight” are merely a euphemism for “stand and punch” to Dana White.

You are a smart guy I’ve read your posts before you know as well as I do that McGregor would have never beaten an in shape Mendes. Mendes was winning every round until he ran out of gas and tried a desparation submission. You also know that there will never ever ever be a rematch between the two. Mendes will be cheated out of a title shot because he is primarily a grappler and would beat McGregor who is apparently a money maker for White (his fights are sooooo exciting they are never on the ground).

So, again as a fan of MMA I am disgusted with not only Dana White’s manipulation of the sport and his low pay for fighters. But, also his baias against grapplers. We will never know who the real best fighters are(Mendes being the exception) as long as that bias exists.

[/quote]

First I was agreeing with you that I think Edgar would have been the better (or at least more fair) choice to have Mcgreggor fight, due to the short notice and Mendes not really being in fighting shape. He showed early in the fight that McGreggor has a definite weakness in regards to takedown defense and could be exploited by a good grappler who could set up takedowns well with striking. Had he not gassed it’s highly possible that Chad would have won that fight.

What I am saying is that it’s MMA, so yes fighters should be able to strike, wrestle, know Jiu-Jitsu and know how to defend against and transition between all of those skill sets. All of the fighters that I mentioned can do so, and all of them mix grappling and striking effectively.

What the average PPV buying fan wants IMO is:

1. above all excitement/entertainment (whether that be total skillful annihilation of edge of your seat action where it looks like the fight could end at any second)

2. finishes (people, both fighters and fans alike, have been burned way too many times by the judges to want to see them decide the winner of the fight)

3. drama (I personally hate that this is so, but the reality is that the average fan eats up the trash talking, tattoo toting, “tough guise”/“bad blood” story lines that some fighters have become masters of creating.

This is what the UFC (and White) are constantly trying to provide in order to maximize PPV buys on every show. If a fighter is not going to provide such things, then not as many people will pay for the card and the UFC won’t make as much money. Like you said, they care only about making as much profit as possible.

Finally, my comment about the fighters rights was not meant as an apology for Whites conduct, but instead as the only means that I see possible to counter such actions and fully legitimize the sport.

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
People forget White comes from being a BOXING promoter…However, I blame as much of it on Bonnar-Griffin, the fight that brought a lot of new eyes to MMA and the UFC from tuf and it was all stand up so people thought well this K-1 on steroids… Striking plus a few slams. People hardly understand good or great grappling either wrestling, BJJ, or Sambo.
[/quote]

True, though I would say that more people are savvy enough to recognize submission finishes. The average fan may still prefer KO’s/TKO’s (probably because they can imagine themselves doing them, whereas submissions are like a foreign language to them), but more and more are becoming educated enough to appreciate sub finishes. Just plain positional grappling though? No, most fans are not going to invest enough time into the intricacies involved in that to really appreciate that part of the sport. Heck, even the Olympic sport of Wrestling (which was one of the actual first events in the ancient games!) was originally dropped off the 2016 Games because attendance and viewership was so low.

“Ratings, and rankings are what will keep the UFC and all of MMA from really getting into mainstream Media”

Would you expand on this? Not sure what you mean here, if a sport is appealing to the public, isnt that what gets it coverage?

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
[/quote]

True, though I would say that more people are savvy enough to recognize submission finishes. The average fan may still prefer KO’s/TKO’s (probably because they can imagine themselves doing them, whereas submissions are like a foreign language to them), but more and more are becoming educated enough to appreciate sub finishes. Just plain positional grappling though? No, most fans are not going to invest enough time into the intricacies involved in that to really appreciate that part of the sport. Heck, even the Olympic sport of Wrestling (which was one of the actual first events in the ancient games!) was originally dropped off the 2016 Games because attendance and viewership was so low.[/quote]

For about the last 3 years, I have observed a more educated stance on the old “knock the SOB out”, at least among the military and civilian contractors. Now, I hear a lot of " Damn, that SOB nearly tore his arm off". IMHO, from my observations, Ronda Rousey has had a large part in bringing this “submission game” to the forefront. Rousey gathers more interest from hardcore military MMA fans than any other fighter, and, it is not because they want to screw her. They really want to see her Judo based ground game. It is an interesting educational experience to watch an UFC event with about 75 to hundred troops and listen to their comments. Active submissions are appreciated if both fighters are working their techinques, comments from"he is going for an armbar or hell, I could get out of that" LOL…Point being, if both fighters are working no problem, its the slow paced “lay and pray” that gets the most negative comments.

From reading the MMA media, it appears the expansion of UFC/MMA into other countries is primarily UFC management driven. This has brought a world wide fan base that , from what I have read, is rapidly expanding. Any opinions on who could drive this expanison
better than White?

Well Idaho on the ranking aspect of it, its simple. If you have a list of 1-10 with the champion being above that list its only fair to assume that fighter A. listed as number 1 is either the second best fighter at that moment in most peoples eye’s, so he should get the next title shot. That’s how it should work, but we all know that isn’t how it works…not at all. guys like Edgar are jumped for mendes and chuckles the assclown McCregor. Doesn’t really make you any more legitimate of a sport. either stick to true the rankings by having outside media rank the fighters like MMAWeekly use to do or don’t have them at all and do like other Orgs do and just throw the hottest fighters together and figure it out post fight.

And as for the female gracie that is Rousey lets just stop WMMA is so GOD awful as a whole its still possible to be one dimensional and get away with it. The Fact that she won a Bronze in Judo is impressive but she is no where near the level of the mens bantam or fly weights. As much as I believe that if she ever fights Cyborg she would get crushed, even Santos is slightly less one track minded and has pure power to overcome her mistakes.

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
People hardly understand good or great grappling either wrestling, BJJ, or Sambo.
[/quote]

No question about that, but they never will learn to appreciate those arts with a greedy guy like Dana White in charge.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[/quote]

First I was agreeing with you that I think Edgar would have been the better (or at least more fair) choice to have Mcgreggor fight, due to the short notice and Mendes not really being in fighting shape. He showed early in the fight that McGreggor has a definite weakness in regards to takedown defense and could be exploited by a good grappler who could set up takedowns well with striking. Had he not gassed it’s highly possible that Chad would have won that fight.

What I am saying is that it’s MMA, so yes fighters should be able to strike, wrestle, know Jiu-Jitsu and know how to defend against and transition between all of those skill sets. All of the fighters that I mentioned can do so, and all of them mix grappling and striking effectively.

What the average PPV buying fan wants IMO is:

1. above all excitement/entertainment (whether that be total skillful annihilation of edge of your seat action where it looks like the fight could end at any second)

2. finishes (people, both fighters and fans alike, have been burned way too many times by the judges to want to see them decide the winner of the fight)

3. drama (I personally hate that this is so, but the reality is that the average fan eats up the trash talking, tattoo toting, “tough guise”/“bad blood” story lines that some fighters have become masters of creating.

This is what the UFC (and White) are constantly trying to provide in order to maximize PPV buys on every show. If a fighter is not going to provide such things, then not as many people will pay for the card and the UFC won’t make as much money. Like you said, they care only about making as much profit as possible.

Finally, my comment about the fighters rights was not meant as an apology for Whites conduct, but instead as the only means that I see possible to counter such actions and fully legitimize the sport.[/quote]

Yes, I understand exactly what you are saying. But, my point is Dana White is ignoring a large part of the game by punishing grapplers for just being grapplers. And as you know there are a good many grapplers that are able to beat a good many strikers simply by taking them down and pounding them. Those are the fights that Dana White does not want because it does not consist of two men standing toe to toe and slugging it out.

And don’t you agree that this type of approach not only cheats the grapplers of the world, but also the many fans who enjoy seeing the very best man actually get to fight?

There are many other Dana White “sins” which I’ve listed in a previous post.

[quote]idaho wrote:

From reading the MMA media, it appears the expansion of UFC/MMA into other countries is primarily UFC management driven. This has brought a world wide fan base that , from what I have read, is rapidly expanding. Any opinions on who could drive this expanison
better than White?
[/quote]

No one on the face of the earth could do this better than Dana White. It’s how he does it that is border line crooked. The example of McGregor hits home again. Irish ppv dollars drove white to put an out of shape Mendes into the cage with McGregor knowing that he would run out of gas and McGregor would win.

And you will see that Mendes will never again be in the cage with McGregor…at least not if he’s actually in shape.

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
Well Idaho on the ranking aspect of it, its simple. If you have a list of 1-10 with the champion being above that list its only fair to assume that fighter A. listed as number 1 is either the second best fighter at that moment in most peoples eye’s, so he should get the next title shot. That’s how it should work, but we all know that isn’t how it works…not at all. guys like Edgar are jumped for mendes and chuckles the assclown McCregor. Doesn’t really make you any more legitimate of a sport. either stick to true the rankings by having outside media rank the fighters like MMAWeekly use to do or don’t have them at all and do like other Orgs do and just throw the hottest fighters together and figure it out post fight.

And as for the female gracie that is Rousey lets just stop WMMA is so GOD awful as a whole its still possible to be one dimensional and get away with it. The Fact that she won a Bronze in Judo is impressive but she is no where near the level of the mens bantam or fly weights. As much as I believe that if she ever fights Cyborg she would get crushed, even Santos is slightly less one track minded and has pure power to overcome her mistakes.[/quote]

I agree with every word. By the way if Rousey ever fights Cyborg it will be under similar circumstances as McGregor fighting Mendes. Cyborg will have just had a baby or been in a car accident or a host of other things that will leave her completely out of shape and ready to lose. Dana White is never going to let his cash cow Rhonda Rousey lose a fight. If anyone believes the contrary they are living in la la land. Easy money for anyone who wants to bet the fights, always bet on Rousy and you will win. There will come a time in the future where a woman as attractive as Rousey and equally skilled will get a shot. and then Dana will begin milking a new cow.

He really is detestable.