T Nation

Fedor - Weight Training?

Does he even do any weight training or does he just do straight running and his grappling/boxing training? Guy is an animal regardless…

search youtube. You will find some workouts of his. He does more than you state.

he does a old school grind it out work out with sledge hammers and kettle bells…

sorry… they call it the “300 epic workout- the secret to having a spartan like body” lmao

sorry, had to stick that in. lol :slight_smile: But its similar, lots of tire flips, rope, chain, and hammer work. You see it on youtube.

But since he’s basicly the worlds number 1 ranked sambo champion since… well… when was the android built? im sure his grapple work helps a lot, the rest is there to help supplement his already freakishly disproportional strength.

I wouldn’t say he has “freakish strength”… he is very fast, agile, and technical. You never see him trying to out-muscle a guy for a takedown or muscle a punch. When he throws his opponents, he waits for them to make a move and then reacts in a way that uses the minimum amount of strength possible.

When he strikes, his shoulders and body are very loose (granted his striking probably makes the boxing crowd cringe). He has said that he built his foundation w/ weight training and then switched to his current regimen to make him more explosive. HOwever, since no one on this site has been lucky enough to train w/ Fedor it is pretty useless to ask us what his training regimen consists of. As someone mentioned, all we have to go on are a few videos and interviews.

As to him being a Sambo champion, yes he has been a Combat Sambo champ (this is different from Sambo as there are no strikes allowed in Sambo and the matches are scored differently) but the talent pool is very shallow so it’s not exactly a big accomplishment… an olympic medal in wrestling or judo is a much more impressive feat. He placed 3rd in Russian Judo Championships and was successful Sambo player as a junior but as we all know he decided to follow the money.

ps… Fedor lost in the semi finals of this years Combat Sambo Championships.

I’ve only seen this guy, training and fighting, in short internet clips. Saying he is good is an understatement. But what amazes me about him, something I just don’t get, it how average and unassuming he looks all of the time (take this with a grain of salt, coming from a guy who knows nothing about the finer points of fighting).

Physique wise, nothing spectacular. Demeanor, he looks bored, even sleepy. His training clips methods looked dated, and performed lazily. The fights I have seen, he doesn’t dominate, and some even look like he is getting pushed around… until he gets that opening and finishes it.
That said, this guy is one of the best, so he is doing things right. Maybe it is a disregard for the fancy things, just a sticking to the basics. Maybe he is an example of smooth=fast. I don’t know.
Just an observation. I am not trying to doubt or put him down, I am just missing something. I know he is that good, but what makes him that good?

[quote]bulldogmedic wrote:
I know he is that good, but what makes him that good?[/quote]

His training.

[quote]bulldogmedic wrote:
I’ve only seen this guy, training and fighting, in short internet clips. Saying he is good is an understatement. But what amazes me about him, something I just don’t get, it how average and unassuming he looks all of the time (take this with a grain of salt, coming from a guy who knows nothing about the finer points of fighting).

Physique wise, nothing spectacular. Demeanor, he looks bored, even sleepy. His training clips methods looked dated, and performed lazily. The fights I have seen, he doesn’t dominate, and some even look like he is getting pushed around… until he gets that opening and finishes it.
That said, this guy is one of the best, so he is doing things right. Maybe it is a disregard for the fancy things, just a sticking to the basics. Maybe he is an example of smooth=fast. I don’t know.
Just an observation. I am not trying to doubt or put him down, I am just missing something. I know he is that good, but what makes him that good?[/quote]

The word you’re looking for is methodical.

I read an interview with him in which he spoke about his training history. He stated that he lifted weights while in the army, and believed that it was good for a developing fighter to do so. He went on to add that he moved away from weight training and focuses mainly on sparring, saying something to the effect that struggling against a live opponent did more for him that lifting weights alone.

And that’s all I got.

The secret to his training is being beat with branches.

?The sauna helps with rejuvenation between practices. We boil the water, then we get the steam. We get massages and beat each other with branches. It helps get rid of all the lactic acid. It helps with restoration so you can start the week full of energy.?

~Fedor Emelianenko

Someone asked Michael Jordan in an interview about how he jumps so high, what were his training techniques.

His simple reply was that he didn’t really train to jump at all. He said I couldn’t dunk when I was younger so he kept trying to dunk. Kept running and jumping trying to dunk until eventually he could.

The big secret is that their are no secrets. Fedor is Fedor because he does what he does every day without fail, without drugs and without the emotional and psychological baggage that we have here in the west.
Effective fighting and training has nothing to do with how you look, how loud you scream or how much of a personality you have on tv.

[quote]humble wrote:
Someone asked Michael Jordan in an interview about how he jumps so high, what were his training techniques.

His simple reply was that he didn’t really train to jump at all. He said I couldn’t dunk when I was younger so he kept trying to dunk. Kept running and jumping trying to dunk until eventually he could.

The big secret is that their are no secrets. Fedor is Fedor because he does what he does every day without fail, without drugs and without the emotional and psychological baggage that we have here in the west.
Effective fighting and training has nothing to do with how you look, how loud you scream or how much of a personality you have on tv.

[/quote]

x2. As Kimura said… the only secret is hard work.

[quote]humble wrote:

[/quote]

Hard work but his muay thai trainer said he was kind of lazy his last training camp. Effective fighting has nothing to do with looking stoic and fat either. It’s all about skills.

He used to practice powerlifting for a while. Saw a recent clip where his main resistance work was pullups dips and practising throws with big jumpstretch type bands.

he doesn’t do typical gym lifts anymore, but you can find pics of him as a teen with his brother posing with some mass builder shit lol.

but he uses extra heavy sledgehammers, kettlebells, bodyweight work, band work, and carries his teammates.

it all depends how you define “weight training”.

Lately I’ve just been doing a lot of ring work and metabolic conditioning. I’m not “weight training” but I am “strength training”. I’m sure somewhere that shit got mixed up in translation.