Fedor Signs with Strikeforce

Sounds like it’s a three fight deal to match his contract with M1. I would love to see him fight overeem. After that, it’s slim pickings. If I were a betting man, I would guess that strikeforce would want the biggest money maker to be his last fight. To me this means Lashley or Randy, unless they can entice another big name HW to leave the UFC. That means they need to hurry up and get Lashley signed and some fights.

If Overeem can’t be the first fight, it should probably be Rogers/Werdum (yawn), Overeem, Randy/Lashley. I guess they could be doing a fight overseas and put one together with Barnett, but I wonder how much interest there is in this fight anymore. Maybe just as much in Japan.

I really don’t see them signing any other big names that are still competitive. You leave the UFC for strikeforce to fight Fedor, and I am guessing you are not coming back unless you beat him. Randy wouldn’t care as he is at the end of his career anyway. I wonder if the UFC will offer ultimatems to those that may want to fight for the UFC in the future like Bigfoot Silva and Lashley?

In the end the UFC would have provided much better fights, but it is what it is. It could have been worse. He could have signed with Dream.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
…I just want to see some damn fights now. [/quote]

ditto!

I’d love for him to fight Overeem at some point!

Everyone’s crying that Fedor doesn’t want to fight the best fighters because he didn’t sign with the ufc. Fedor IS the best. The challengers are meant to go after the champion, not the other way around.

[quote]Count Crotchula wrote:
Everyone’s crying that Fedor doesn’t want to fight the best fighters because he didn’t sign with the ufc. Fedor IS the best. The challengers are meant to go after the champion, not the other way around. [/quote]

The supposed best just turned tail to all his competition. UFC has the top level competition. The guys in the top 10 strike force have are all at the end of the list. The best fight the best. And the best are in the UFC.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Fuck all these businesses…all fighters should be under one fucking roof to see who really is the best.
Period.[/quote]

Yeah. and if that isnt possible they should all be in the Xbox UFC game.

Everyone’s crying that Fedor doesn’t want to fight the best fighters because he didn’t sign with the ufc. Fedor IS the best. The challengers are meant to go after the champion, not the other way around. [/quote]

I don’t really agree dude. This argument gets thrown around a lot, but really, it isn’t about Fedor being the best, not for me and I assume for the majority of people.
Most fans just want to see him fight real competition. The whole buzz around him signing with the UFC was so that we could finally see some fresh, possibly even competitive match-ups. The Timmay and Arlovski fights were a return to form, the Pride HW champ fighting legitimate threats, rather than the likes of Hong Man Choi or Coleman. People want to see that, and right now the UFC is probably the best place to make it happen.

I’m disappointed both parties could not come through with a deal. The one’s that lose out are the fans. Now I can only hope Strikeforce can throw some solid competition his way.

[quote]rundymc wrote:
Count Crotchula wrote:
Everyone’s crying that Fedor doesn’t want to fight the best fighters because he didn’t sign with the ufc. Fedor IS the best. The challengers are meant to go after the champion, not the other way around.

I don’t really agree dude. This argument gets thrown around a lot, but really, it isn’t about Fedor being the best, not for me and I assume for the majority of people.
Most fans just want to see him fight real competition. The whole buzz around him signing with the UFC was so that we could finally see some fresh, possibly even competitive match-ups. The Timmay and Arlovski fights were a return to form, the Pride HW champ fighting legitimate threats, rather than the likes of Hong Man Choi or Coleman. People want to see that, and right now the UFC is probably the best place to make it happen.

I’m disappointed both parties could not come through with a deal. The one’s that lose out are the fans. Now I can only hope Strikeforce can throw some solid competition his way.[/quote]

If Fedor signed with the UFC, I’d only be interested in one fight, and that is against Lesnar.
Likewise, the only fight in Strikeforce I’m interested in is against Overeem.

The amount of disrespect being throw Fedor’s way amazes me. This is the most dominant fighter in the history of this sport. People (John. S) who say Fedor is ducking the ufc or running away from other fighters have most likely never set foot in any ring and hang on Dana White’s every word.

[quote]John S. wrote:
Count Crotchula wrote:

The supposed best just turned tail to all his competition. UFC has the top level competition. The guys in the top 10 strike force have are all at the end of the list. The best fight the best. And the best are in the UFC. [/quote]

I hear this a lot and I’m thinking, which UFC heavyweight, not-named Brock, is top class or interesting match-up for Fedor, when compared to Strikeforce’s Overeem and Rogers?

Kongo? He is good striker, not great but good, and he has toughened up, but he looks like a bad matchup for Fedor. The Velazquez fight showed that Kongo has trouble getting the fight where he wants it, and I don’t think he will be a challenge against the Russian.

Couture? He is a legend, but he has always been more of a LHW than HW. Whether he is or is not in his prime, I can’t say, but I think that the younger, bigger guys are more dangerous for Fedor.

Carwin? I think he’s great, and I would love to see him fight Brock or Fedor, but if you look objectively at his accomplishments, Rogers’ record is comparable to his. I have to admit though, from the first time I saw Rogers (against Thompson) the WWE fan in me has always wondered what would it look like if Mr. T fought the top heavyweights, so I’m a little biased about Fedor-Rogers match.

Mir? I can’t see an area where Mir would have an advantage over Fedor. Not that he is a bad fighter, he just doesn’t seem to have the consistency to be considered that great.

Velazquez? He will be a good heavyweight (he already is), he has a good chin and is the typical American wrestler, which means he’s tough as fuck and knows his game and how to implement it, but he’s also doesn’t seem to have that special something, that can help him against Fedor.

Brock has the strength and explosiveness, Carwin and Rogers have the KO power, Overeem has the great stand-up and has improved by leaps and bounds physically and technically. These are the guys I wanted to see against the Russian, after his match with Barnett.

Are some of these worse in some technical aspects than say Couture and Mir? Yes.
Do they have better chance against Fedor than, again, say Couture and Mir? Absolutely, yes.

In order if interest for me:
Mir - Well rounded. Weakness may just be big wrestlers with sub defense. I think he has the best chance out of anyone. I really can’t stand the guy personally, but he may be my favorite HW right now. Out of all the fights I most want to see, he is most of them. Mir/Fedor, Mir Couture, Mir/Barnett, Mir/Overeem, Mir/Cain, Mir/Carwin, Mir/Dos Santos. I can’t believe I starting to like this guy as much as I am and he’s not even a wrestler.
Lesnar - Beast. I honestly don’t see anyone he can’t take down and seems to have good sub defense.
Couture - might even move this one up before Brock.
Barnett - Well rounded but probably not better than fedor at anything.
Overeem - Hard to say as he has had mixed results facing the best and hasn’t had any noteable MMA fights in over two years. I am not sure if this would be a good match-up or not, which is why I want to see it. Gotta love a big aggressive beast like Overeem though. Would love to see him against Carwin, Silva, or Ivel.

After a one or two top tier wins

Cain - Seems to be a hell of an athlete. Appears to need a few more high-caliber fights to get in a groove. Would like to see him against a submission guy.
Carwin - Beast.
Dos Santos - Same as Overeem. Suspect he is a beast, but not quite sure yet.
Bigfoot Silva - Just always liked the guy and think he should start competing at a higher level. We’ll see.
Lashley - Beast but needs to fight someone worth mentioning. He looks a little stiff to me and am questioning if he will ever be more than just a wrestler. Maybe just a bigger stronger version of Coleman.
Rogers - Not even sure why I put this on my list. I really have no interest in seeing this fight. Maybe I will change my mind after seeing him in a couple more fights, but who would he fight? Probably Fedor’s first fight and the least interesting.

Much more interesting fights in the UFC. At least immediatly.

rundymc wrote:
Count Crotchula wrote:

I’m disappointed both parties could not come through with a deal. The one’s that lose out are the fans. Now I can only hope Strikeforce can throw some solid competition his way.

If Fedor signed with the UFC, I’d only be interested in one fight, and that is against Lesnar.
Likewise, the only fight in Strikeforce I’m interested in is against Overeem.

The amount of disrespect being throw Fedor’s way amazes me. This is the most dominant fighter in the history of this sport. People (John. S) who say Fedor is ducking the ufc or running away from other fighters have most likely never set foot in any ring and hang on Dana White’s every word.[/quote]

I think its more a question of who he fights after the above two. In Strikeforce there’s Rogers and possibly Arlovski 2. The UFC has Gonzaga, Mir, CC, two prospects in Cain and Carwin, CC and Nog (kidding, kidding). Not to mention Randy, a couple years ago a lot of people were talking about this fight, the old man could still put up an interesting fight.

On your second point, I’d have to agree. People on the interwebz tend to blow things out of proportion. The fact of the matter is, Fedor doesn’t see the competition in the UFC as established and varied enough to warrant letting the co-promotional issue slide. Its straight up business. I doubt he feels he needs to prove himself to anyone, he has fought for many years against a lot of legit Top10 threats. His legacy is already there, his priorities have probably shifted.

I think the “average” UFC fan is getting tired of Fedor staying away from the UFC. Even more so now that a contract was on the table and Fedor walked. FEDOR WALKED. F’ Fedor.

I think Fedor is well past his prime and he knows this. Yeah, he beat Arlovski…who got rocked by Rogers a month ago and got his butt handed to him by the most overrated HW of all time Tim “I’m 8 feet tall…and that’s all I got” Sylvia TWICE! Sylvia lost to Ray Mercer recently…that’s all I need to say.

Fedor hasn’t beaten anyone of importance at the top of their game since Cro Cop 4 years ago.

[quote]BantamRunner wrote:
I think the “average” UFC fan is getting tired of Fedor staying away from the UFC. Even more so now that a contract was on the table and Fedor walked. FEDOR WALKED. F’ Fedor.

I think Fedor is well past his prime and he knows this. Yeah, he beat Arlovski…who got rocked by Rogers a month ago and got his butt handed to him by the most overrated HW of all time Tim “I’m 8 feet tall…and that’s all I got” Sylvia TWICE! Sylvia lost to Ray Mercer recently…that’s all I need to say.

Fedor hasn’t beaten anyone of importance at the top of their game since Cro Cop 4 years ago.[/quote]

This is the problem…too many UFC fans…and no real MMA fans. The "average UFC fan are the same people who nut hugged Fedor for years…now they are butthurt that he’s not in the UFC. So naturally,they all want to talk shit as if he is all of a sudden irrelevant. If that was the case,their wouldn’ be such a ruckus over him. His legacy is set…as long as he doesn’t pull a Ken Shamrock,nothing is going to change that. “Fedor isn’t in the UFC…fack that guy!”…No,fuck you…and broaden your knowledge of this sport.

I think Fedor is scared. He has nothing to win and EVERYTHING to lose. If he goes to the UFC, yeah, he’ll make a helluva lot of money (not that he really needs it), but if he goes up against Brock and (somehow) loses…damn that’s gotta be the shits for the Grand fucking Poobah of MMA.

I think he is playing it safe. He doesn’t want to risk losing. At this point in his career, I’m not sure I completely blame him, even though it is kind of cowardly. I mean hell, didn’t he see “ROCKY BALBOA?”

[quote]Eddie_would_tow wrote:
I think Fedor is scared. He has nothing to win and EVERYTHING to lose. If he goes to the UFC, yeah, he’ll make a helluva lot of money (not that he really needs it), but if he goes up against Brock and (somehow) loses…damn that’s gotta be the shits for the Grand fucking Poobah of MMA.

I think he is playing it safe. He doesn’t want to risk losing. At this point in his career, I’m not sure I completely blame him, even though it is kind of cowardly. I mean hell, didn’t he see “ROCKY BALBOA?”[/quote]

You seem to have a very good understanding of the situation…

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
BantamRunner wrote:

Fedor hasn’t beaten anyone of importance at the top of their game since Cro Cop 4 years ago.

This is the problem…too many UFC fans…and no real MMA fans. The "average UFC fan are the same people who nut hugged Fedor for years…now they are butthurt that he’s not in the UFC. So naturally,they all want to talk shit as if he is all of a sudden irrelevant. If that was the case,their wouldn’ be such a ruckus over him. His legacy is set…as long as he doesn’t pull a Ken Shamrock,nothing is going to change that. “Fedor isn’t in the UFC…fack that guy!”…No,fuck you…and broaden your knowledge of this sport.[/quote]

Now you wouldn’t be telling Dana White he needs to broaden his knowledge of the sport would you? And that is pretty much exactly what White said, Fuck Fedor. I don’t agree with those sentiments, but I can see where he or others are coming from.

I think Brock has the best chance of beating Fedor right now, and I want to see fedor put my doubts about him to bed forever. THATS why I want him in UFC. I agree Overeem will be a good fight for him potentially, but he has shown some serious weakness when an opponent with good striking is pressuring him.

Fedor has excellent striking and will absolutley pressure him, plus fedor could take it to the ground and dominate overeem. Brock could have the same weakness on the feet, it is yet to be determined. I just like brock because he has a very real chance to make the fight go to the ground and take top position, and I think brock has the advantage on anyone in that position, even Fedor.

V

Eddie_would_tow wrote:

I think he is playing it safe. He doesn’t want to risk losing. At this point in his career, I’m not sure I completely blame him, even though it is kind of cowardly. I mean hell, didn’t he see “ROCKY BALBOA?”

You seem to have a very good understanding of the situation…[/quote]

AH HA! I sense sarcasm. Internet sarcasm…the hardest to spot. That must mean I am intelligent. :slight_smile:

this guy gets it. let’s see if strikeforce does.

IMO, which ain’t worth shit, Fedor let down all MMA fans worldwide.

I think it’s a bitch move.

He should sign a 1-fight deal, kick Lesnar’s ass (if he can), settle all the speculation, and then do his Strikeforce thing.

Again, JMO, which is only worth as much as anyone elses.

[quote]James_T_Kirk wrote:
IMO, which ain’t worth shit, Fedor let down all MMA fans worldwide.

I think it’s a bitch move.

He should sign a 1-fight deal, kick Lesnar’s ass (if he can), settle all the speculation, and then do his Strikeforce thing.

Again, JMO, which is only worth as much anyone elses.[/quote]

There is no way in hell the UFC would sign a one fight deal!

The UFC has 2 stipulations in pretty much every contract:

1. If you lose, they can terminate the remainder of the contract; and
  2. If you are a champion at the conclusion of your contract they have some sort of exclusive negotiating or matching rights for a perod of time. Basically a Champion can’t leave.