Fedor Emelianenko

He has fought some of the best but not consistantly. More often than not he is fighting someone that isn’t even top ten. Breakdown of fights :

Silvia - dominant

Hong Man Choi - Tomato can

Matt Lindland - up a weight class would have taken fedor down if he didn’t grab the ropes like 5 times and then gained a dominant position.

Mark Hunt - Hunt was able to escape and arm bar and take side control and keep fedor on the ground and controled him until he gassed.

Mark Coleman - well past his prime. still schooled fedor on the ground until the arm bar.

Zulusinho - who?

Cro Cop - Dominant. Fedor won this one before he ever got in the ring. Cro Cop was running away the whole fight. Fedors striking was on point. One of my favorite fedor fights.

Kohsaka - Can.

NOgueira - both great fights. both decisions.

Ogawa - Dominant. Judo stud but not top 10 MMA

Randleman - Great fight. Most unbelievable slam by randleman

Nagata - Pro wrestler with 1 prior fight where he was knocked out in 21 sec.

Goodridge - Not a can but definately not high caliber.

Fujita - Not a can but not top caliber.

Valavicius - who?

Herring - Solid but never really beat anyone of note.

Schilt - decision. Awesome kickboxer but just average in MMA. Many other stopped him.

Chris Haseman - who? Fedor was out wrestled in this one. This guy is not even a HW.

Lee Hasdell - who? 9 and 14. dominant.

Yanagisawa - who? decision

Babalu - decision.

Schall - who?

Apastolov - who?

Arona - decision. Fedor was out wrestled.

Takada - dominant

Lagvilava - who? He had his hand full with this guy.

Lazarev - who?

There’s no question that Fedor is the #1 HW in the world by a country mile. He’s utterly stomped the current UFC HW Champ not once but twice, he just completely eviscerated the recent 2-time UFC HW Champ in 36 seconds (a guy who it took Randy 5 rounds to beat by decision), and every single top-level heavyweight fighter will TELL you Fedor is the best. RANDY COUTURE will tell you that Fedor is the best. That’s why he wants to test himself by fighting him. Are there a couple of other top heavyweights that he has left to fight before he completely clears the board? Yeah. I would say Barnett, Couture and Arlovski. But I’d put big money on Fedor winning each and every one of those fights. No other HW out there right now is even close to relevant.

As for the pound-for-pound argument, everyone always tries to talk about who each respective weight division king has fought, who’s had the tougher competition, etc., which is fair to a degree. But at the end of the day, the way I look at it is like this: We’ve now seen all of the P4P contenders in a LOT of fights and have seen their strengths, weaknesses, styles, etc. After a while you have to look at each of them as an individual, as a skill set, and imagine that you had a magical shrinking/expanding machine.

Now if you magically shrunk some of the HWs, or expanded some of the lighter weight guys, etc. until they were all of exactly the same weight (but of course in the same proportions and body shapes as they all are now), so that they were all in the SAME WEIGHT CLASS, who would be king?

Let’s think bout it:

Fedor vs. GSP:

– Not even close. Fedor’s striking is SO explosive, aggressive and accurate. GSP’s wrestling is great, but what’s going to happen when he gets Fedor on the ground? As Joe Rogan put it – and he’d do it to GSP – “If you get Fedor on his back he will FUCK you up.” And if Fedor gets on top he’d GnP GSP into another planet. But I think Fedor’s standup game alone would do a shitload of damage to GSP, and might even knock him out. If Serra could do it (even if GSP was off that night), Fedor, who is 5 times the striker that Serra is, could do it.

Fedor vs. BJ:

BJ is a very good striker/boxer – very good relative to guys like Sherk and Stevenson. Fedor is a devastating striker. Ask feared striker (with a huge reach advantage) Tim Sylvia about that. BJ’s BJJ is great, but I don’t know if it’s better than NOG’s, and Fedor pounded the ever-loving snot out of Nog TWICE, to the point that Nog has aged 10 years more than he should’ve since then. Any other mortal would’ve been finished. Nog only survived because he’s Nog. Hardest head in the biz. Fedor by GnP.

Fedor vs. Anderson Silva:

This one is not even close in my eyes. Yes, Anderson’s Muay Thai is great, his kicks and knees are SCARY fast and devastating, but he’s been dominated on the ground before, and Fedor is one ground-dominating motherfucker. Anderson might try to clinch up, but when you clinch up with Fedor he grabs your body like a bear and throws you the fuck down sideways. And as great as Anderson is at Muay Thai (and I’m not discounting his BJJ either), lesser fighters than Fedor have given him trouble on the ground, and even submitted him on the ground – his overall game is just too incomplete to beat Fedor. (No, I’m not saying Anderson is an “incomplete” fighter in the broad sense of the word. I’m just saying he’s “incomplete enough,” i.e. has enough holes in his game, that Fedor would crush him).

[quote]dhickey wrote:
He has fought some of the best but not consistantly. More often than not he is fighting someone that isn’t even top ten. Breakdown of fights :

Silvia - dominant

Matt Lindland - up a weight class would have taken fedor down if he didn’t grab the ropes like 5 times and then gained a dominant position.

Mark Hunt - Hunt was able to escape and arm bar and take side control and keep fedor on the ground and controled him until he gassed.

Mark Coleman - well past his prime. still schooled fedor on the ground until the arm bar.

Zulusinho - who?

Cro Cop - Dominant. Fedor won this one before he ever got in the ring. Cro Cop was running away the whole fight. Fedors striking was on point. One of my favorite fedor fights.

Kohsaka - Can.

Valavicius - who?

Schilt - decision. Awesome kickboxer but just average in MMA. Many other stopped him.

Chris Haseman - who? Fedor was out wrestled in this one. This guy is not even a HW.

Babalu - decision.

Schall - who?

Apastolov - who?

Takada - dominant

Lazarev - who?
[/quote]

Every fighter has good and not so good performances. Some opponents simply are a bad match-up as well. That is why virtually every other fighter has losses on his record. On the other hand, Fedor - apart from that loss due to a cut after a few seconds into the fight - has managed to win every (MMA) fight.

To me, that’s what sets him apart from the rest.

[quote]Damici wrote:
Let’s think bout it:

Fedor vs. GSP:

– Not even close. Fedor’s striking is SO explosive, aggressive and accurate. GSP’s wrestling is great, but what’s going to happen when he gets Fedor on the ground? As Joe Rogan put it – and he’d do it to GSP – “If you get Fedor on his back he will FUCK you up.” And if Fedor gets on top he’d GnP GSP into another planet. But I think Fedor’s standup game alone would do a shitload of damage to GSP, and might even knock him out. If Serra could do it (even if GSP was off that night), Fedor, who is 5 times the striker that Serra is, could do it.
[/quote]
First off these would all be incredible fights. These guys are all very skilled and very evenly matched.

Fedor vs. GSP

Very close. Fedor has show a weakness in wrestling. GSP takes him down easily. The question becomes can he avoid an arm bar.

Fedor is an explosive striker but has not consistantly shown knock out power. GSP about the same.

I would probably give this one to fedor as GSP is a bit of head case and Fedor is rock solid.

Every bodies pounded the snot out of nog. How is fedor devistating? He took Babalu to a decision. Babalu got knocked out by Chuck Lidell and jason lambert. He one by decision against Cro Cop. Cro Cop was finished by Gabe Gonzaga and Kevin Randleman. How many knockouts does fedor have.

BJ’s striking and BJJ are incredible. Fedor is not goin to submit him but I would like to see if he could knock him out.

I give this one to BJ if he is in the current BJ form.

This is just complete nuthuggery. Not even close? Fedor dominates on the ground from his back. His takedowns are horrible. Go watch the mark hunt fight again. If Silva wants to keep in on the feet, it stays on the feet. Silva is so hard to get to and his strikes are so accurate. Silva wins this one by decision and only becuase fedor has never even been close to being knocked out. To say anyone would KO Fedor would be a huge stretch.

You really need to go back and watch ever fedor fight you can find. He only fought tough apponents back to back once that I can remember. He did not consistantly dominate great competition. He is incredible and one of my favorite fighters but he is not god. He is very good fighter in a weak division. I would bet most of the people that hang on his nuts have seen two or three of his fights.

Go back and watch them all. Look at all of his decision wins and then look at all the guys that finished the same fighter. Fedor is a great fighter but has not dominated people as much as you would like to think.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:

Every fighter has good and not so good performances. Some opponents simply are a bad match-up as well. That is why virtually every other fighter has losses on his record. On the other hand, Fedor - apart from that loss due to a cut after a few seconds into the fight - has managed to win every (MMA) fight.

To me, that’s what sets him apart from the rest. [/quote]

Very true. That is one of reasons he is so captivating. How can you not watch a guy that has never lost? He is an anomoly in the sport and that is why he is a legend.

When talking P4P you have to look at the level of competition. The level of competition in the HW ranks is not the same as LW, WW, MW, and LHW. It just isn’t.

I’m trying to get away from the “So-and-So fought X opponent and handled him better than Fedor did” because that kind of metric simply doesn’t work, or really matter. Like the previous poster said, it all comes down to Fedor having never lost (save one illegal and accidental cut stoppage). And I have no idea what nuthuggery means, so I’ll just . . . avoid that term. I’ve watched every Fedor fight. And part of that process shows that he has actually gotten BETTER over the years.

We pretty much agree on the outcome with GSP. Fedor wins (I think by ref stoppage, but MAYBE by decision).

BJ’s striking is very good, not incredible. Fedor’s is pretty fucking incredible. He dominated the hell out of the guy who at the time was considered the best HW striker in the world, CroCop (who was ON his game and was much feared then). He dominated the hell out of a known striker, and one with a HUGE reach advantage, in Tim Sylvia. Pretty much could’ve won that fight by sticking to nothing but striking if he so chose, even though it might’ve taken an extra 30 seconds. :slight_smile: On the feet Fedor would pound the snot out of BJ, backing him up and really hurting him.

On the ground it’s definitely closer, but I see Fedor winning by either clear decision or ref stoppage.

Regarding Anderson: Fedor’s takedowns suck? He doesn’t do traditional wrestling “shooting” takedowns – maybe that’s what you’re looking for and not seeing and therefore thinking he “sucks” at it. He does judo/sambo-style takedowns, where he grabs your body and throws you down sideways. Is it easy to execute against Mark Hunt? No, because Mark Hunt is a huge, 900-lb son-of-a-bitch. The last time Fedor fought a devastating striker with particularly wicked kicking abilities (CroCop) he . . . devastated the hell out of the devastating striker at striking. :slight_smile: Let’s not forget that Anderson HAS been beaten on a few occasions; he is beatable, and I reckon that, if the UFC doesn’t protect the hell out of him, he’ll be beaten again within the next year. Fedor WILL eventually get that fight on the ground, and once he does he pounds the shit out of Anderson, but probably finishes it by submission.

I have no personal allegiance to Fedor over any other striker. I’m just trying to look at skill set vs. skill set and I don’t see any of these guys beating him.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
Damici wrote:
Let’s think bout it:

Fedor vs. GSP:

First off these would all be incredible fights. These guys are all very skilled and very evenly matched.

Fedor vs. GSP

Very close. Fedor has show a weakness in wrestling. GSP takes him down easily. The question becomes can he avoid an arm bar.

Fedor is an explosive striker but has not consistantly shown knock out power. GSP about the same.

I would probably give this one to fedor as GSP is a bit of head case and Fedor is rock solid.

Fedor vs. BJ:

BJ is a very good striker/boxer – very good relative to guys like Sherk and Stevenson. Fedor is a devastating striker. Ask feared striker (with a huge reach advantage) Tim Sylvia about that. BJ’s BJJ is great, but I don’t know if it’s better than NOG’s, and Fedor pounded the ever-loving snot out of Nog TWICE, to the point that Nog has aged 10 years more than he should’ve since then. Any other mortal would’ve been finished. Nog only survived because he’s Nog. Hardest head in the biz. Fedor by GnP.

Every bodies pounded the snot out of nog. How is fedor devistating? He took Babalu to a decision. Babalu got knocked out by Chuck Lidell and jason lambert. He one by decision against Cro Cop. Cro Cop was finished by Gabe Gonzaga and Kevin Randleman. How many knockouts does fedor have.

BJ’s striking and BJJ are incredible. Fedor is not goin to submit him but I would like to see if he could knock him out.

This one is not even close in my eyes. Yes, Anderson’s Muay Thai is great, his kicks and knees are SCARY fast and devastating, but he’s been dominated on the ground before, and Fedor is one ground-dominating motherfucker. Anderson might try to clinch up, but when you clinch up with Fedor he grabs your body like a bear and throws you the fuck down sideways. And as great as Anderson is at Muay Thai (and I’m not discounting his BJJ either), lesser fighters than Fedor have given him trouble on the ground, and even submitted him on the ground – his overall game is just too incomplete to beat Fedor. (No, I’m not saying Anderson is an “incomplete” fighter in the broad sense of the word. I’m just saying he’s “incomplete enough,” i.e. has enough holes in his game, that Fedor would crush him).

This is just complete nuthuggery. Not even close? Fedor dominates on the ground from his back. His takedowns are horrible. Go watch the mark hunt fight again. If Silva wants to keep in on the feet, it stays on the feet. Silva is so hard to get to and his strikes are so accurate. Silva wins this one by decision and only becuase fedor has never even been close to being knocked out. To say anyone would KO Fedor would be a huge stretch.

You really need to go back and watch ever fedor fight you can find. He only fought tough apponents back to back once that I can remember. He did not consistantly dominate great competition. He is incredible and one of my favorite fighters but he is not god. He is very good fighter in a weak division. I would bet most of the people that hang on his nuts have seen two or three of his fights.

Go back and watch them all. Look at all of his decision wins and then look at all the guys that finished the same fighter. Fedor is a great fighter but has not dominated people as much as you would like to think.[/quote]

[quote]dhickey wrote:

[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Fujita ROCKED Fedor. This is about the only time I can recall off the top of my head where Fedor WAS hurt and in big trouble.

Fedor beats Silva by flying heel hook Ryo Chonan style.

[quote]

Go back and watch them all. Look at all of his decision wins and then look at all the guys that finished the same fighter. Fedor is a great fighter but has not dominated people as much as you would like to think.[/quote]

Who do you think he has not decisively beat? It’s not like he was ever close to losing a decision.

[quote]dhickey wrote:

Silvia - dominant

Zulusinho - who?

Kohsaka - Can.

Valavicius - who?

Babalu - decision.

Schall - who?

Apastolov - who?

Takada - dominant

Lazarev - who?
[/quote]

You can do the same thing with Silva’s fights. Henderson, Franklin and Marquardt are his only wins of note that come to mind immediately. And he beat horn too, so that’s certainly worth something.

Honestly, what strikes me the most is that on the very same night Fedor, fighting at 231 submitted a top 10 (at least) HW and former champ in under 36 seconds, while Anderson Silva, fighting at 220 (as he was generally agreed upon to walk around at) took a little over a minute to KO the solid but nowhere close to championship-calibre James Irvin.

It’s the song that never ends, it goes on and on my friends,

Somebody started singing it not knowing what it was, and we’ll continue singing it forever just because…

it’s the song that never ends, it goes on and on my friends…

[quote]dhickey wrote:
The best HW, yes.

The best PFP, maybe.

He hasn’t consistantly fought the best and he certainly hasn’t consistantly dominated the best. He should get his chance now. He has shown a bit of a weakness in wrestling so we will see if some of the up and comer wrestlers can give him a run for his money in a couple years.

Him coming over here was the best thing that could happen in the HW ranks. He is going to be really fun to watch. Now if we could just get some of those Dream LWs to come over.[/quote]

hmm, id really like to know when fedor has shown any kind of weakness… especially in wrestling. from what i know, he throws his opponents like they were rag dolls and hits em so hard that they dont even dare ask for a rematch. and those who have, have tasted the same leather over, and over, and over again.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
Damici wrote:
Let’s think bout it:

Fedor vs. GSP:

Fedor vs. GSP

Fedor vs. BJ:

so you’re telling me that a fighter who is undefeated in over a decade isnt dominant at all… so called mma fans like yourself will never be impressed by anything… unless of course fedor fights 2 bears with one arm behind his back after a 24 mile run.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
dhickey wrote:

Who do you think he has not decisively beat? It’s not like he was ever close to losing a decision.
[/quote]

where did i say his wins were not decisive?

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Honestly, what strikes me the most is that on the very same night Fedor, fighting at 231 submitted a top 10 (at least) HW and former champ in under 36 seconds, while Anderson Silva, fighting at 220 (as he was generally agreed upon to walk around at) took a little over a minute to KO the solid but nowhere close to championship-calibre James Irvin.

[/quote]

this is a ridiculous argument. fedor went to decision with babalu while jason lambert knocked him out. by your logic jason lambert is a better fighter than fedor.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

so you’re telling me that a fighter who is undefeated in over a decade isnt dominant at all… so called mma fans like yourself will never be impressed by anything… unless of course fedor fights 2 bears with one arm behind his back after a 24 mile run.
[/quote]

you’re an idiot. where did i say i was not impressed by fedor. why don’t you try to read before commenting. how am i a “so called” mma fan? i put far more thought into my post than you did.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

hmm, id really like to know when fedor has shown any kind of weakness… especially in wrestling. from what i know, he throws his opponents like they were rag dolls and hits em so hard that they dont even dare ask for a rematch. and those who have, have tasted the same leather over, and over, and over again.[/quote]

hmmm, if you really wanted to know you go watch his fights. maybe you don’t really want to know.

If he hits them so hard how come he doesn’t knock them out? He has one ko against a nobody early in his career.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

this is a ridiculous argument. fedor went to decision with babalu while jason lambert knocked him out. by your logic jason lambert is a better fighter than fedor.[/quote]

What’s ridiculous is that you are misunderstanding the argument. I didnt use the “common opponent” argument. I compared their performances (both quick, decisive victories, albeit Fedor’s a bit quicker) and the level of their opponent

(former hw champ and current top 10 hw in sylvia and solid, but underwhelming in James Irvin) on the same night, at this current point in time.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote:

you’re an idiot. where did i say i was not impressed by fedor. why don’t you try to read before commenting. how am i a “so called” mma fan? i put far more thought into my post than you did.[/quote]

you belittled a mans accomplishment, and yet you are impressed by him. thats pretty ugly.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

you belittled a mans accomplishment, and yet you are impressed by him. thats pretty ugly.
[/quote]

I didn’t belittle his accomplishments. I simply see them for what they are. I am a fedor fan, just not a delusional one. A delusional Fedor fan is the same as a delusional Brock fan, is the same as a dilusional Kimbo fan. You can be a fan of any of these guys but if you aren’t realistic about what the have and can do you are delusional all the same.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
[/quote]

His win over Arona was very debatable.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
Damici wrote:
Let’s think bout it:

His takedowns are horrible.[/quote]

Incorrect. Fedor has some of the most impressive upper body greco-clinch takedowns you will ever see from years of sambo. He never shoots in using freestyle wrestling. Would be cool if he added that in, but to say his takedowns are horrible is ridiculous.