T Nation

Fear of Weapons is Sexual & Emotional Immaturity

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.”

“Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

Sigmund Freud

http://thinkexist.com/quotation/a_fear_of_weapons_is_a_sign_of_retarded_sexual/163592.html

I find a link between the two concepts and the thought process underlying the American Democrat Party.

JB with another homerun. Your logic is incredible.

Yep.
But on the other hand, what is not “a sign of retarded sexual and emotional immaturity”, according to Freud ?

[quote]kamui wrote:
Yep.
But on the other hand, what is not “a sign of retarded sexual and emotional immaturity”, according to Freud ?

[/quote]

I am your huckleberry.

[quote]kamui wrote:
Yep.

[/quote]

Yeah, but he kind of has a point there too, because the best we can aspire too is probably a kind of benevolent neuroticism.

Noone is truly emotionally healthy and what is even worse, sanity waxes and wanes.

Hopefully not too much, and depending on the topic at hand, but still.

Let’s not forget this gem: “It is the fate of all of us, perhaps, to direct our first sexual impulse towards our mother.”

I bet if someone had a gun to ole Freud’s head he’d be a little scared himself

[quote]smh23 wrote:
Let’s not forget this gem: “It is the fate of all of us, perhaps, to direct our first sexual impulse towards our mother.”[/quote]

If you believe that some sort of proto sexuality is already present in a newborn, that is necessarily so.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
and most people are frightened of responsibility."

[/quote]

I think this is true. Very true.

It explains a lot, from the individual level to international political issues.

I feel like liberals get the lable because young people tend to be liberal, and tend to be the ones the most afraid of it. But I don’t think it is an exclusively liberal issue, not that you were saying that as such.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
I bet if someone had a gun to ole Freud’s head he’d be a little scared himself[/quote]

He is discussing a “fear of weapons,” in general. Not fear of “A weapon” pointed at one’s head. Different concept, entirely.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

I feel like liberals get the lable because young people tend to be liberal, [/quote]

What are called liberals are not “liberals,” in the sense they want people to be free.

They are libertines who desire themselves to be free from the consquences of their actions, and thus demand no one suffer consequences from their actions.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:
Let’s not forget this gem: “It is the fate of all of us, perhaps, to direct our first sexual impulse towards our mother.”[/quote]

If you believe that some sort of proto sexuality is already present in a newborn, that is necessarily so.

[/quote]

It is not necessarily so. But this is a discussion for another thread.

Regarding the OP, fear of inanimate objects is cowardice, not sexual immaturity.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Honestly, I love being around people and weapons so long as the people know what they are doing. Being around some civilians makes me want it to be a strict requirement to either have had prior military experience, or get some weapon handling training classes.

Some folks have no idea how to handle a weapon safely, either treat it like a toy or fear it.

From Cowering when lightning strikes to “monster” written on unknown sections of maps, ignorance is the breading ground for fear.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
I bet if someone had a gun to ole Freud’s head he’d be a little scared himself[/quote]

He is discussing a “fear of weapons,” in general. Not fear of “A weapon” pointed at one’s head. Different concept, entirely.[/quote]
fair enough nut afraid of weapons unless they’re pointed at me

To be fair, if fearing some inanimate objects is irrational, loving them is surely irrational too.
for the same reason.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

Regarding the OP, fear of inanimate objects is cowardice, not sexual immaturity.[/quote]

Only if said object does not represent a phallus.[/quote]

If guns do indeed represent phalli, the N.R.A. might find even more success in recruiting and fundraising if it were to move its headquarters to The Castro.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

I find a link between the two concepts and the thought process underlying the American Democrat Party.[/quote]

I’ve certainly made the assertion in personal arguments that both require a certain level of cultural respect. The ability to inflict death is no more extrinsic to humanity than the ability to inflict life.

There certainly is a political party that (claims or tries to) advocate weapon and sexual/reproductive responsibility and one that doesn’t.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

Regarding the OP, fear of inanimate objects is cowardice, not sexual immaturity.[/quote]

Only if said object does not represent a phallus.[/quote]

As far as weapons go, Thor’s hammer Mjoelnir certainly did. Explains why he had to dress in drag to retrieve it from the joetunn.