T Nation

Fear Of Future

Hey guys,

I’m a junior at Marquette university, and I’m having some pretty big concerns. I’m very nervous of what I’m going to do when I get out of college. Right now, I’m in the business school, but I don’t know if I really want to do this. There was no specific thing in college that I ever saw and was like “that’s for me, that’s what I was meant to do”. The only thing that I ever saw myself doing was being in some type of military related job, but my parents insisted that I go to college first and then decide. I don’t know if I would be thrilled going into the military now knowing that I would be sent to a terrorist ridden country with suicide bombers. However, I still see myself doing that more than anything. The thought of sitting behind a desk for 50-60 hours a week doing paperwork really scares the hell out of me. I can just imagine sitting in my cubicle one day thinking “so this is what I’ve done in my life, this is what I can look back and remember”. Have a lot of your guys been in the same situation where you don’t know what to do or maybe you feel like you are doing the wrong thing in life?

Stay in school. You can join the military later. I did and it paid for most of my grad school.

It oges in cycles as your career moves upward. Eventually you’ll be able to make you own schedule and get your freedom back…about age 40 or so.

Let me tell you the Army is a lot more fun as an officer then as an enlisted man. It flows down hill as they say and even a junior officer is a little further up the hill.

[quote]hedo wrote:
Let me tell you the Army is a lot more fun as an officer then as an enlisted man. It flows down hill as they say and even a junior officer is a little further up the hill.[/quote]

The same holds true for all divisions of the military. There are many professionals in the military as officers who came in BECAUSE they didn’t want to see the same thing everyday, go to the same building for work and see the same people over and over. I would recommend that route instead of just jumping in as enlisted if the opportunity is available to you.

Don’t throw away your chance at becoming an officer. As a former enlisted who served in the middle east, unless your special forces you want to be an officer. Good luck.

[quote]Mack wrote:
unless your special forces you want to be an officer. Good luck.[/quote]

Or the Doc, take your pick… Being enlisted did suck wang at times, but being the Doc definitely had it’s perks. I’ll never trade the lessons I learned being an enlisted man, I think it made me a much better leader beeing able to learn from JO’s and other senior enlisted who would fuck shit up just because of inexperience, false bravado, or looking for that preverbial “pat on the head” from the skipper. Course there are some strong leaders out there as well, like BH6 here in the forums.

However, if you have your degree in hand already, you should persue being an officer, it just makes sense.

If you’re looking for the action, though, the Military is where it’s at nowadays. Just be sure you persue the type of action that you want and not let yourself be cohersed into a Military cubicle job because of the degree you achieved in college. Just because it’s the Military doesn’t mean that there isn’t paper that has to be pushed around.

Good luck,

GAINER

hey man, you’ve already invested a lot of time and effort into college. having a degree will open a lot of doors to you in life…i joined the Army out of high school and don’t regret it at all. and i’ve been in for 11 years, and would never want to be an officer. it’s too fun to run around and blow stuff up…why would i want to sit in staff meetings when i could do that?

also, after you graduate if you’re set on joining the military, with a degree you can go in with a higher rank as an enlisted soldier (E-4 vs. E-1), or you can do the OCS route and be an officer. good luck…

[quote]BackInAction wrote:
The only thing that I ever saw myself doing was being in some type of military related job, but my parents insisted that I go to college first and then decide. I don’t know if I would be thrilled going into the military now knowing that I would be sent to a terrorist ridden country with suicide bombers. [/quote]

What did you think you’d be doing in the military? Fighting communist superpowers?

haha, the only reds I knew of when I was a kid were the colors of crayons. I just never really saw myself doing a desk type job. Thanks for all the replies everyone. I’m going to finish college (hopefully in 4 years) and then think about my opinions some more.