Fear Holding Me Back in Sparring

[quote]Newboxer wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
You are no different than anyone else who’s ever walked into the gym, ever. We all feel frustrated and humiliated and weak, especially the first time sparring. It’s part of the deal! But it goes away with time and experience.

You have to remember that regardless of all the news headlines, America is generally not a violent country. So for most folks, especially those who start boxing later in life, getting into the sparring ring is probably the first time they’ll feel what it’s like to get punched in the face, and that can be particularly sobering.

I wasn’t one of those guys - I’ve been getting beat up since I was a little kid - but what helped me in boxing was really learning to embrace that “Thud” of getting hit. It sounds weird, but I found that looking forward to it, really letting it happen got me over that “scared” feeling that you get when you first start. I tell guys when doing padwork - if you’re throwing a punch that I’m supposed to be blocking, throw it fucking hard. Aim for my face, don’t aim away. Let it roll. We all have to get used to it.

It’s strange, I know, but it’s the psychological trick that helped me move past that concern. I mean, it doesn’t really “hurt” per se to get hit with headgear on - there’s no sting, it’s just that dull thud. Sure, sometimes it’s a hard fucking thud, but there’s no sharp pain or intolerable sheering pain going on. Again, once you catch on to that, you’ll be fine. You’re not a wimp, you’re not a pussy. Just a guy who hasn’t boxed before.

And the next time you’re in the ring, don’t be so fearful. That dude isn’t going to kill you, but you’re not helping him by shelling up and hiding. What I would say is first, get it in your head that you’re not in there to survive, you’re in there to learn. So learn. Start working one or two basic things you want to do, like getting in good position and throwing a good, solid jab. Concentrate on that. Then work something else- maybe a double jab and a pivot around. Work on not getting hit, and managing your ring presence. Basic shit. Remember - sparring is the classroom. It ain’t a firing squad.[/quote]

Thank you for the thoughtful response. It’s reassuring to know that everyone goes through it. I think as Donny suggested, I’m not so much afraid of getting hurt, as not being able to fight back or execute the punches I’ve learned outside the ring. I will try your trick of looking forward to getting hit. [/quote]

Yea man. It’s like that dream we’ve all had where we get in a fight, and no matter how hard we hit the dude, the punches feel like nothing and we can’t stop the other person.

Again, experience will fix all of this.

I know I promised to stop posting for a while in my last thread, but I sparred again last night in training. It was only one round, with a guy who’s been boxing more than 2 years. Thanks to the encouragement and reassurance I got here, I was much better able to relax, and I was really able to work with the techniques I’ve learned, in the way in which I believe Sento was suggesting I should be able to in such a situation.

Although it was just the one round, I managed to do a lot of really good work, with my feet and my punches. I was really able to push this guy (he’s about 5kg smaller, and shorter than me, so he was being the aggressor) despite the experience gap. We ended up having a bit of a tear up at one point (not out of control, just going for it) and I took a few shots, and it was really exhilarating. The situation I was apprehensive of I ended up really enjoying. Everyone was really encouraging afterwards, and I felt like I took a massive step forwards. Thank you again to everyone who gave their input.

[quote]Newboxer wrote:
I know I promised to stop posting for a while in my last thread, but I sparred again last night in training. It was only one round, with a guy who’s been boxing more than 2 years. Thanks to the encouragement and reassurance I got here, I was much better able to relax, and I was really able to work with the techniques I’ve learned, in the way in which I believe Sento was suggesting I should be able to in such a situation.

Although it was just the one round, I managed to do a lot of really good work, with my feet and my punches. I was really able to push this guy (he’s about 5kg smaller, and shorter than me, so he was being the aggressor) despite the experience gap. We ended up having a bit of a tear up at one point (not out of control, just going for it) and I took a few shots, and it was really exhilarating. The situation I was apprehensive of I ended up really enjoying. Everyone was really encouraging afterwards, and I felt like I took a massive step forwards. Thank you again to everyone who gave their input. [/quote]
Thats the shot mate- well done.

And post as much as you like. We all learn through questions.

Something I used to do with new students is I lined them up, two lines facing each other and ask them to slap each other in the face. At first they were wondering what the heck I was talking about or maybe I was from a different planet but then I showed them. Took a guy, slapped him in the face. Asked him if it hurt? He obviously said ‘yes’ then I say ‘would you die or run for your mommy after that?’ he said ‘no’. Then the guy starting slapping each other in the face, easy at first and then harder and harder. Obviously had to stop them before some really went too far.

That was only to, in some way, teach them not be so afraid of pain. Pain, won’t totally incapacitate you if you can ‘appreciate it’. Kinda!