FDA to Ban Andro!

First off, this isn’t a congressional thing. The FDA is sending this leter out - it requires no law to do this, just that it thinks that the products are unsafe (of course, it’s based on bull-shit evidence that they picked and chose to make Mr. Bush’s case for cracking down on steroid use in sports). Therefore, there’s no veto that needs to be done.

There is a bill in congress supposedly to classify all andro containing products in the same category as steriods. This is a seperate issue, and I believe Bush, in his infinite stupidity will sign this without hesitation if it passes. And he claims he’s trying to stimulate the economy??!

Now for the real meat and potatoes - Biotest was NOT on the list posted by the FDA as receiving a letter (http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/andrlist.html). So, I think we need to hear from the source (somebody at Biotest), will Mag-10, 4-AD-EC and the like be taken off the market in response to this?

I’m looking into things now. Waiting to hear back from Tim or TC.

Good to know we’re not on the list, but that doesn’t mean a whole lot in the long run.

If we read the letter carefully, it only pertains to androsteneDIONE products. However, it would seem that any andro-based product is next, so as Chris stated, we’ll need to wait and see what each companies position is on this.

Here is the new bill — and FYI
At cnn there is an article about arnold opposing FDA supplement
regulations

Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004 (Introduced in House)

HR 3866 IH

108th CONGRESS

2d Session

H. R. 3866
To amend the Controlled Substances Act to provide increased penalties for anabolic steroid offenses near sports facilities, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 1, 2004
Mr. SENSENBRENNER (for himself, Mr. CONYERS, Mr. SWEENEY, Mr. OSBORNE, and Mr. BERMAN) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, and in addition to the Committee on Energy and Commerce, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

A BILL
To amend the Controlled Substances Act to provide increased penalties for anabolic steroid offenses near sports facilities, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004’.

SEC. 2. INCREASED PENALTIES FOR ANABOLIC STEROID OFFENSES NEAR SPORTS FACILITIES.

(a) IN GENERAL- Part D of the Controlled Substances Act is amended by adding at the end the following:

ANABOLIC STEROID OFFENSES NEAR SPORTS FACILITIES

`SEC. 424. (a) Whoever violates section 401(a)(1) or section 416 by manufacturing, distributing, or possessing with intent to distribute, an anabolic steroid near or at a sports facility is subject to twice the maximum term of imprisonment, maximum fine, and maximum term of supervised release otherwise provided by section 401 for that offense.

`(b) As used in this section–

(1) the term sports facility’ means real property where athletic sports or athletic training takes place, if such property is privately owned for commercial purposes or if such property is publicly owned, but does not include any real property described in section 419;

(2) the term near or at’ means in or on, or within 1000 feet of; and

(3) the term possessing with intent to distribute’ means possessing with the intent to distribute near or at a sports facility.'.

(b) TABLE OF CONTENTS AMENDMENT- The table of contents for Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970 is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 423 the following new item:

`424. Increased Penalties for Anabolic Steroid Offenses Near Sports Facilities.'.

SEC. 3. SENTENCING COMMISSION GUIDELINES.

The United States Sentencing Commission shall–

(1) review the Federal sentencing guidelines with respect to offenses involving anabolic steroids;

(2) consider amending the Federal sentencing guidelines to provide for increased penalties with respect to offenses involving anabolic steroids in a manner that reflects the seriousness of such offenses and the need to deter anabolic steroid use; and

(3) take such other action that the Commission considers necessary to carry out this section.

SEC. 4. AMENDMENTS TO THE CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT .

(a) DEFINITIONS- Section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802) is amended–

(1) in paragraph (41)–

(A) by realigning the margin so as to align with paragraph (40); and

(B) by striking subparagraph (A) and inserting the following:

(A) The term anabolic steroid’ means any drug or hormonal substance, chemically and pharmacologically related to testosterone (other than estrogens, progestins, corticosteroids, and dehydroepiandrosterone), and includes–

`(i) androstanediol–

`(I) 3b,17b-dihydroxy-5a-androstane; and

`(II) 3a,17b-dihydroxy-5a-androstane;

`(ii) androstanedione (5a-androstan-3,17-dione);

`(iii) androstenediol–

`(I) 1-androstenediol (3b,17b-dihydroxy-5a-androst-1-ene);

`(II) 1-androstenediol (3a,17b-dihydroxy-5a-androst-1-ene);

`(III) 4-androstenediol (3b,17b-dihydroxy-androst-4-ene); and

`(IV) 5-androstenediol (3b,17b-dihydroxy-androst-5-ene);

`(iv) androstenedione–

`(I) 1-androstenedione ([5a]-androst-1-en-3,17-dione);

`(II) 4-androstenedione (androst-4-en-3,17-dione); and

`(III) 5-androstenedione (androst-5-en-3,17-dione);

`(v) bolasterone (7a,17a-dimethyl-17b-hydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(vi) boldenone (17b-hydroxyandrost-1,4,-diene-3-one);

`(vii) calusterone (7b,17a-dimethyl-17b-hydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(viii) clostebol (4-chloro-17b-hydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(ix) dehydrochlormethyltestosterone (4-chloro-17b-hydroxy-17a-methyl-androst-1,4-dien-3-one);

`(x) 4-dihydrotestosterone (17b-hydroxy-androstan-3-one);

`(xi) drostanolone (17b-hydroxy-2a-methyl-5a-androstan-3-one);

`(xii) ethylestrenol (17a-ethyl-17b-hydroxyestr-4-ene);

`(xiii) fluoxymesterone (9-fluoro-17a-methyl-11b,17b-dihydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(xiv) formebolone (2-formyl-17a-methyl-11a,17b-dihydroxyandrost-1,4-dien-3-one);

`(xv) furazabol (17a-methyl-17b-hydroxyandrostano[2,3-c]-furazan);

`(xvi) 18a-homo-17b-hydroxyestr-4-en-3-one (13b-ethyl-17b-hydroxygon-4-en-3-one);

`(xvii) 4-hydroxytestosterone (4,17b-dihydroxy-androst-4-en-3-one);

`(xviii) 4-hydroxy-19-nortestosterone (4,17b-dihydroxy-estr-4-en-3-one);

`(xix) mestanolone (17a-methyl-17b-hydroxy-5a-androstan-3-one);

`(xx) mesterolone (1a-methyl-17b-hydroxy-[5a]-androstan-3-one);

`(xxi) methandienone (17a-methyl-17b-hydroxyandrost-1,4-dien-3-one);

`(xxii) methandriol (17a-methyl-3b,17b-dihydroxyandrost-5-ene);

`(xxiii) methenolone (1-methyl-17b-hydroxy-5a-androst-1-en-3-one);

`(xxiv) methyltestosterone (17a-methyl-17b-hydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(xxv) mibolerone (7a,17a-dimethyl-17b-hydroxyestr-4-en-3-one);

`(xxvi) nandrolone (17b-hydroxyestr-4-en-3-one);

`(xxvii) norandrostenediol–

`(I) 19-nor-4-androstenediol (3b, 17b-dihydroxyestr-4-ene);

`(II) 19-nor-4-androstenediol (3a, 17b-dihydroxyestr-4-ene);

`(III) 19-nor-5-androstenediol (3b, 17b-dihydroxyestr-5-ene); and

`(IV) 19-nor-5-androstenediol (3a, 17b-dihydroxyestr-5-ene);

`(xxviii) norandrostenedione–

`(I) 19-nor-4-androstenedione (estr-4-en-3,17-dione); and

`(II) 19-nor-5-androstenedione (estr-5-en-3,17-dione;

`(xxix) norbolethone (18a-homo-17b-hydroxypregna-4-en-3-one);

`(xxx) norclostebol (4-chloro-17b-hydroxyestr-4-en-3-one);

`(xxxi) norethandrolone (17a-ethyl-17b-hydroxyestr-4-en-3-one);

`(xxxii) oxandrolone (17a-methyl-17b-hydroxy-2-oxa-[5a]-androstan-3-one);

`(xxxiii) oxymesterone (17a-methyl-4,17b-dihydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(xxxiv) oxymetholone (17a-methyl-2-hydroxymethylene-17b-hydroxy-[5a]-androstan-3-one);

`(xxxv) stanozolol (17a-methyl-17b-hydroxy-[5a]-androst-2-eno[3,2-c]-pyrazole);

`(xxxvi) stenbolone (17b-hydroxy-2-methyl-[5a]-androst-1-en-3-one);

`(xxxvii) testolactone (13-hydroxy-3-oxo-13,17-secoandrosta-1,4-dien-17-oic acid lactone);

`(xxxviii) 1-testosterone (17b-hydroxy-5a-androst-1-en-3-one);

`(xxxix) testosterone (17b-hydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);

`(xl) tetrahydrogestrinone (13b,17a-diethyl-17b-hydroxygon-4,9,11-trien-3-one);

`(xli) trenbolone (17b-hydroxyestr-4,9,11-trien-3-one); and

`(xlii) any salt, ester, or ether of a drug or substance described in this paragraph.'; and

(2) in paragraph (44), by inserting anabolic steroids,' after marihuana,'.

(b) AUTHORITY AND CRITERIA FOR CLASSIFICATION- Section 201(g) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 811(g)) is amended–

(1) in paragraph (1), by striking substance from a schedule if such substance' and inserting drug which contains a controlled substance from the application of titles II and III of the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act (21 U.S.C. 802 et seq.) if such drug’; and

(2) in paragraph (3), by adding at the end the following:

`(C) Upon the recommendation of the Secretary of Health and Human Services, a compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any anabolic steroid , which is intended for administration to a human being or an animal, and which, because of its concentration, preparation, formulation or delivery system, does not present any significant potential for abuse

What I found interesting is they said something about the supplement companies proving that is ok to use. Clearly that at the very least requires some long-term study. It shouldn’t be any more long term than anything the pharaceutical companies do, but clearly that is years.

I believe that the makers of Stacker have filed a lawsuit to attempt to block the ephedra ban which makes sense to me. When there are something like 100,000 alcohol-related deaths in this country every year, they sure are nitpicky about 155 deaths over 8 years relative to ephedra use.

Really…they should be banning high fructose corn syrup.

Well we knew it was coming. I say poop on the FDA when they set the ban date I will do like everyone is doing right now with ephedra and wait till the last minute and buy up all of the Mag10, M1T, and 4AD I can afford at the last minute slashed prices.
And since I am only 21 I will not be doing the andro I do buy for a while and when I do use it I will come off with and the only thing I will be able to turn to for the next cyle will be roids. So thanks a lot for forcing my hand big brother.
FDA SUCKS.
DA

More people die from Tylenol each year than have ever overdosed on ephedra. Nobody dies from Andro.

That’s the simple absurdity of drug prohibition. Prohibition makes drugs more valuable, increases their production and sale, and makes people look for alternatives.

this country is run by educated ignorant fools. laters pk

The ban is unfortunate. Given a choice, many of us would stick with over the counter stuff. When the ban does go thru, a guy won’t consider breaking the law for andro, Mag 10 or whatever; he will simply say, if I am going to break the law, I want the real thing. Steroids.

Another example of the gov protecting us from ourselves. I’m not impressed with prohormones anyway (very limited experience but still unimpressed). IF, I’m going to break the law I’ll do it with something that works, REAL STEROIDS. I’d probably have to have my son in high school find me a supplier though. Ironic isn’t it if something is illegal you can probably get it at a high school.
Remember ya’ll this andro ban is to protect the children, lets all help save the children!!

Perhaps there is a way we can get ourselves classified as minorities?

We can?t help who we are, we were born this way. By taking away our right to purchase supplements that make us bigger and stronger, you are discriminating against who we are! I should be given the same rights as a man who was born with naturally high levels of Testosterone! You are limiting my rights to become the MAN that I aspire to be!

Yada yada yada? get liberal media and the ACLU involved?.

Hire a t-vixen willing to take one for the team and have her seduce Bush and blackmail him? Better yet, have her get up on the dictators of the FDA and convince them to look the other way?

This is war people, this calls for drastic measures.