T Nation

FDA guidelines changing.....

Hey fellas,

I have just heard it through the grapevine (Through my nutrition teacher who is very up to date) That the FDA is changing their guidlines finally for daily allowances. I think they finally realized that they screwed up royally; when graphed the amount of obesity in the US has jumped drastically since the implemented the food guide pyramid and they finally decided to change it. I think the new plan will be out within the next 6 months, or so I have been told.

I cant remember the old caloric %'s from before, but the new ones are if I remember correctly: 15-25%carbs, 40-45% protein, and for fat they didn’t give a reccomendation outright, but they did say that we needs so many grams of omega 3’s and omega 6’s a day, which I can’t remember offhand what they are. But as you all can see this reccomendations are very far off of what alot of our diets are already. Finally looks like they are seeing it our way and realizing their fuck-up. The new food guide pyramid I heard is supposed to be done in like 6 months. Correct me if the %'s are wrong I am writing this off the top of my head.

Pugs

I’ll believe it when I see it.

This country relies on it’s agriculture, which means, grains, pastas, breads and other crap foods are plentiful, cheap and always recommended.

There have been some articles on CNN and The Washington Post about this. I think the pyramid is supposed to be updated every few years and it hasn’t been since 1990. There are a couple articles in the Washington Post archives from a few weeks ago, but I ain’t paying to get them. I don’t recall if they give a specific timeline for revision, but I do know they recognize the necessity of healthy fats and are going to include them in the revision. One of the other big changes was reducing the amounts of breads/starches required daily.

Nate dogg you don’t believe much of anything these days, no matter who posts it or what they post about …always calling bullshit on alot of stuff. Just an observation. Maybe you should take an objective POV instead of a pessimistic view of things.

Pugs

Pugs I can’t imagine the guidelines ever being 40%-45% protein and 15%-25% carbs. I think those two numbers must be switched. Whatever happens though, I’m sure any change would be an improvement over what the reccomendations are now.

The national academy of sciences’s, Institute of Medicine released their Dietary reference intakes for fat, protein and carbs last year (you can read open book from here

www.nap.edu/books/0309085373/html/)
Their recommendations included <35% protein (due to no evidence showing this amount could do anything to health, but no evidence for higher either) carbs were 40-50% from memory and cant actually remember fat.
Basically you could quit easily get a Zone makeup out of it.

They also have a new report on diet planning

www.nap.edu/books/0309088534/html/

Pugs,

I would be surprised if the FDA changed their guidelines that much, even though the research exists to support it–the FDA is a governmental organization that is more concerned about the interests who are giving them money than the people they are supposed to represent.

Though I wouldn’t be surprised if they added in the fat guidelines, and bumped around the ratios a little.

Here’s hoping I am pleasantly surprised, though!

Ill email my professor and ask her where she got the info from and what the new guideline are…ill post back.

Pugs