T Nation

FDA, E. Coli, and Raw Milk!

It looks like the FDA is using the Spinach E. Coli outbreak to shutdown organic pastures Raw Milk company in CA.
4 kids got sick from drinking the raw milk from organic pastures farm(none have gotten sick from drinking their milk in the past,by the way).

The funny thing is the kids also ate a lot of spinach,almost daily.
The funnier thing is the FDA tested organic pastures raw milk and NONE of it contained any E.Coli,or any other toxins/bacteria.
Not even the cows were sick.

Further more,even with all of this proof,the FDA are still trying to debunk raw milk.
Raw milk is a true health food that builds your immune system,so I could see why the FDA would do that.
I was watching the news a few nights ago and it was actually on the news.
All they said was that four kids consumed raw milk weekly and got sick.

They didn’t tell the part that they also ate spinach;
And they didn’t tell the part that the RAW Milk was tested for E.Coli and there were NO traces of E.Coli found.
And people wonder why I don’t trust everything I see on the news.
Guys,we can’t let them take raw milk off the market.If so,we’ll be losing the war on freedom.

They’ve already done this with with our supplements(ephedra,trying to take creatine off the market too,etc.).
It all starts with something small like this,then grows like a cancer tumor.
If we let them tell us what to consume,then we’re losing.

By the way,organic spinach was blamed for the E.coli outbreak,but it turns out it was the unorganic spinach and NOT the organic spinach that contained E.Coli!
It’ll be a cold day in hell before they take away my raw milk.

http://www.mercola.com/LT/track.asp?l=252

Cthulhu

Yeah, stick it to the man!

Fight the power!

Organic spinach wasn’t blamed for the E. Coli. outbreak. Bagged, california-grown spinach was blamed, whether organically grown or not. Exactly the spinach that was infected. Glad the problem seems to be resolved and spinach is coming back on the shelves. I miss my spinach.

Yes,it was blamed.Bagged organic spinach.
One person had the side effects of E.Coli who ate spinach,but it turned out they didn’t have E.Coli.
I watched it on the news the second day the E.Coli broke out.

The point is they’re using the E.Coli outbreak to debunk raw milk,which is wrong and whoever lives in CA needs to take action because even if they don’t drink raw milk,it will hurt them because they’ll start with raw milk then keep going with something stupid like creatine.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Organic spinach wasn’t blamed for the E. Coli. outbreak. Bagged, california-grown spinach was blamed, whether organically grown or not. Exactly the spinach that was infected. Glad the problem seems to be resolved and spinach is coming back on the shelves. I miss my spinach. [/quote]

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
They’ve already done this with with our supplements(ephedra,trying to take creatine off the market too,etc.).
It all starts with something small like this,then grows like a cancer tumor.
If we let them tell us what to consume,then we’re losing.

By the way,organic spinach was blamed for the E.coli outbreak,but it turns out it was the unorganic spinach and NOT the organic spinach that contained E.Coli!
It’ll be a cold day in hell before they take away my raw milk.

http://www.mercola.com/LT/track.asp?l=252

Cthulhu[/quote]

I could not agree more bro - the Fed’s look for any excuse to try and at least slander the holistic/organic industry, if not make an indictment. It’s only really because conventional farmers and food companies pressure the Fed’s through very powerful lobbying and money talks in this country.

Although, this latest bogus accusation is unfortunate, California is the absolute strongest state from a legislative and consumer power standpoint of holistic/organic goods and services. So, I doubt this put a dent in the market out there, but it may make other areas that are not as progressive a little shaky.

I’m going for an ND I wish I could practice in CA since Michigan doesn’t actually recognize ND’s as health care providers. Shit, our lovely liberal governor just signed a bill that says only traditional nutritionists and dieticians can give dietary advice. What a crock…

Yeah, the raw milk thing is amazing. Pasteurization was only started because the milk processing facilities were filthy and spread harmful bugs. But, when milk went to “Grade A” and the whole process was cleaned up, there was really no scientific need for pasteurization. But, the FDA kept these standards as a “just in case” type reasoning, not fully understand that pasteurized milk creates problems on a similar level to the old days of poor hygeine facilies. Same could be said for chlorinated/florinated municipal water.

All I know is that my kids will not touch a drop of milk unless it’s raw. I don’t care if I have to move my family to the middle of the Appalachian Mountains and raise my own goats!!

Good day,

TopSirloin

Raw milk huh?

I guess cattle aren’t susceptible to bacteria or any other type of disease anymore?

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:
Raw milk huh?

I guess cattle aren’t susceptible to bacteria or any other type of disease anymore?[/quote]

While I’m not a proponent in the raw vs pasteurized war, I do believe the technology exists to test for pathogens these days…

There’s also a startup company not too far away that provides flow based e-coli testing, so that liquids (or finely chopped vegetables) could be sampled for e-coli quite easily and in a cost effective manner.

This wouldn’t guarantee food quality on the shelf, but it would certainly help keep contaminants from being distributed in the first place.

However, I am pretty concerned about the FDA and it’s penchant for eliminating anything natural, such as supplements, because they don’t earn patent money for big corporations.

Do some research on the FDA and you’ll be surprised at how they are actually set up to foster commercial development, though all we really hear about is how they are there for our protection, and how they have conducted themselves over the years.

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:
Raw milk huh?

I guess cattle aren’t susceptible to bacteria or any other type of disease anymore?[/quote]

Mel Siff on Raw Milk:
http://www.dolfzine.us/page185.htm

That article is interesting. For a little while I started buying some sort of organic milk, and instead of smelling like shit after a week it just got really creamy and smelled like butter.

This really sucks! I been drinking raw milk and raw whey from this company and I get great results from it. I hope this ban isn’t going to happen…

[quote]jackson44 wrote:
This really sucks! I been drinking raw milk and raw whey from this company and I get great results from it. I hope this ban isn’t going to happen…[/quote]

Raw whey?
What company is it?
I’ve always wanted to try that.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Glad the problem seems to be resolved and spinach is coming back on the shelves. I miss my spinach. [/quote]

Me too!! I (used to) eat spinach at 3-4 of my meals everyday, and I miss it sooo much. No one seems to understand why a green vegetable is causing me so much despair. Sigh. :slight_smile:

[quote]BuckeyeGirl wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Glad the problem seems to be resolved and spinach is coming back on the shelves. I miss my spinach.

Me too!! I (used to) eat spinach at 3-4 of my meals everyday, and I miss it sooo much. No one seems to understand why a green vegetable is causing me so much despair. Sigh. :)[/quote]

From what I’ve read,I believe it had something to do with rinsing the spinach off with water that contained animal feces.
Just another reason why I try to buy organic produce.

[quote]vroom wrote:
itsthetimman wrote:
Raw milk huh?

I guess cattle aren’t susceptible to bacteria or any other type of disease anymore?

While I’m not a proponent in the raw vs pasteurized war, I do believe the technology exists to test for pathogens these days…

There’s also a startup company not too far away that provides flow based e-coli testing, so that liquids (or finely chopped vegetables) could be sampled for e-coli quite easily and in a cost effective manner.

This wouldn’t guarantee food quality on the shelf, but it would certainly help keep contaminants from being distributed in the first place.

However, I am pretty concerned about the FDA and it’s penchant for eliminating anything natural, such as supplements, because they don’t earn patent money for big corporations.

Do some research on the FDA and you’ll be surprised at how they are actually set up to foster commercial development, though all we really hear about is how they are there for our protection, and how they have conducted themselves over the years.[/quote]

Vroom,

Not to get cheezy on you, but it’s nice to see we are on the same page when it comes to the FDA.

As far as the milk thing goes, pasteurization destroys so much of the nutrition in milk that, by some experts accounts, the milk is not only no longer healthy but detrimental to health. Milk or dairy products then become hard on the body to digest which can lead to immune dysfunction which leads to sickness. And since the facilities are much cleaner and technologically advanced now, there is no real threat of contaminated milk. Therefore, pasteurization is like throwing the baby out with the bath water: step forward by cooking all liquids to make them “safer”; step backwards, maybe even twice, by ruining the health benefits of the food.

Have a good one bro,

TopSirloin

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
BuckeyeGirl wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Glad the problem seems to be resolved and spinach is coming back on the shelves. I miss my spinach.

Me too!! I (used to) eat spinach at 3-4 of my meals everyday, and I miss it sooo much. No one seems to understand why a green vegetable is causing me so much despair. Sigh. :slight_smile:

From what I’ve read,I believe it had something to do with rinsing the spinach off with water that contained animal feces.
Just another reason why I try to buy organic produce.[/quote]

Yep - another check in the organic produce column… it’s highly unlikely organic companies would have used compromised water. In fact, I had no quams about eating organic spinach during this whole ordeal.

TS