Favourite/Worst Actors

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Samir wrote:
I can’t stand Nicolas Cage. [/quote]
I just can’t take him seriously. I laughed at his performance in the Wicker Man … literally.[/quote]

Dude, that was a comedy. I refuse to believe otherwise.

If you turn it to mute and play Loony Tunes in the background, tell me you won’t pass out laughing.[/quote]
I’ll have to try this[/quote]

LOL! Really! Seems like fun, actually.
Might even try it during Passion of the Christ.[/quote]
just LOL

[quote]Viernes wrote:
FAVS:

1. Leonardo Dicaprio: I believe him in every movie and he doesn’t go over the top. He’s really a great one, though I haven’t seen the J Edgar Hoover movie yet.

2. Joseph Gordon Levitt: He’s versatile from comedy to drama, and his performance in 50/50 is really remarkable. If any of you have had a major surgery and had that moment before you went under where there’s a fury of activity going around you and all you want is your mom, you can appreciate the headspace he put himself in, especially for that scene. He’s great.

3. Michael Fassbender: I know he’s been wagging his piece around on camera lately, but whatever. In Inglorious Basterds when he drops “Well, if this is it, old boy, I hope you don’t mind if I go out speaking the King’s…” I’m totally in that moment.

4. John Slattery: Plays “Sterling” on Mad Men. Not sure how he is in other roles, but if his whole catalog is nothing but but this character he’ll still be in my top five. Last nights’ episode is a prime example, how he’s trying his damndest to act like an adult but serves more comfortable misbehaving and screwing shit up.

5. Daniel Day Lewis: Last of the Mohicans, The Boxer, Gangs of New York, There Will be Blood, now the Abe Lincoln movie and everything inbetween. He becomes his character, and he kills it. There’s a lot of comparison between Bill the Butcher and Daniel Plainview, but if you watch a few scenes of each, you see the differences and it’s awesome.

Honorable Mentions: Anthony Quinn, Don Cheadle, Russel Crowe, Christian Bale, Alfred Molina (Boogie Nights), and Brian Cox

WORST:

1. Keifer Sutherland
  2. Jude Law
  3. Robin Williams
  4. Martin Lawrence
  5. Finally, worst of the worst, Bill Paxton[/quote]

J. Edgar was really good movie and Dicaprio played him perfectly.

Brian Cox is seriously underrated, also.

I think Tom Hardy is fairly shit-hot at the moment, always nails performances perfectly. Honourable mention to:

Tom Hanks
Ryan Reynolds(for somehow managing to convince people that he can play more than Van Wilder in every film)
Leo DiCaprio
Denzel Washington
Will Smith
Brad Pitt
Michael Fassbender
Gary Oldman

And probably my favourite actor, Edward Norton. I have never seen a guy absolutely own every role he plays to point that I can’t imagine anyone doing a better job.

And I know he’s been mentioned a lot already, but Nic Cage is fucking unbearable.

Ooh! I forgot about Gary Oldman! Good call, Jereth.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Ooh! I forgot about Gary Oldman! Good call, Jereth.

[/quote]
Four60 and I already mentioned GO, ID.

You no read our posts? :frowning:

Sorry, IH. I guess I missed 'em.

I usually do read and enjoy your posts… and usually agree with them as well. Four60 too.

[quote]Viernes wrote:
FAVS:
Michael Fassbender: I know he’s been wagging his piece around on camera lately, but whatever. In Inglorious Basterds when he drops “Well, if this is it, old boy, I hope you don’t mind if I go out speaking the King’s…” I’m totally in that moment.

[/quote]
I didn’t realize who he was until I watched X Men: First Class. I admit I kinda missed it until my GF pointed it out, but his accent keeps changing during that movie. It’s like he can’t decide if he’s British, German or American. That kind of ruined the performance, but I’m willing to give him another chance.

As for Inglorious Basterds, I don’t know the name of the guy who played the Nazi “Jew Hunter,” but that guy did an incredible job. He stole the show in a movie with a lot of great acting. I’d like to see how he does in other roles.

I especially agree about Crowe and Cheadle. Don Cheadle was excellent in Devil with a Blue Dress.

Oh shit i forgot about Edward Norton, i love him.

Same with Morgan Freeman, maybe 5 wasn’t enough.

Dicaprio recenently has been really good, J Edgar, Inception, Shutter Island, The departed…

Samuel L Jackson seems to do a lot of shit as well.

For an Action guy Bruce Willis pretty good as well,

I’m also a fan of Joseph Gordon Levitt and Ben Foster.

Ben Foster in Alpha Dog was awesome.

Denzel is pretty awesome as well. In John Q his performance was sick

[quote]BobParr wrote:

[quote]Viernes wrote:
FAVS:
Michael Fassbender: I know he’s been wagging his piece around on camera lately, but whatever. In Inglorious Basterds when he drops “Well, if this is it, old boy, I hope you don’t mind if I go out speaking the King’s…” I’m totally in that moment.

[/quote]
I didn’t realize who he was until I watched X Men: First Class. I admit I kinda missed it until my GF pointed it out, but his accent keeps changing during that movie. It’s like he can’t decide if he’s British, German or American. That kind of ruined the performance, but I’m willing to give him another chance.

As for Inglorious Basterds, I don’t know the name of the guy who played the Nazi “Jew Hunter,” but that guy did an incredible job. He stole the show in a movie with a lot of great acting. I’d like to see how he does in other roles.

I especially agree about Crowe and Cheadle. Don Cheadle was excellent in Devil with a Blue Dress.
[/quote]

For Fassbender, he’s a German who had to play a brit, and then go into the basement bar and speak German as a Brit would. It was interesting. When he finally breaks with that “Well old boy” line, it’s really cool.

The Jew Hunter got his Oscar for that performance, he’s great in that movie as well. Creepy motherfucker. “Au Reviore Shoshanna!!” seconds after his crew waxes everyone under the floorboards. Brutal.

Best:

Robert Downey, Jr.

Ralph Fiennes — played the most evil character in basically everything, from the Nazi in Shindler’s List to Voldemort to the pyscho killer in Red Dragon.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Dicaprio recenently has been really good, J Edgar, Inception, Shutter Island, The departed…

[/quote]

I like where your head is at Regarding Ben Foster. He’s an up and comer. He played opposite of Woody Harrelson in that bummer of a movie “The Messenger” and did a really good job. Not too bad in “The Mechanic”

But where he really impressed me was 3:10 to Yuma. You love to hate him in that film.

[quote]Viernes wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[/quote]

I like where your head is at Regarding Ben Foster. He’s an up and comer. He played opposite of Woody Harrelson in that bummer of a movie “The Messenger” and did a really good job. Not too bad in “The Mechanic”

But where he really impressed me was 3:10 to Yuma. You love to hate him in that film.[/quote]

he seem to drop into his character perfectly, he was really good in Hostage as well. he seems to do well playing crazy people.

[quote]Viernes wrote:

The Jew Hunter got his Oscar for that performance, he’s great in that movie as well. Creepy motherfucker. “Au Reviore Shoshanna!!” seconds after his crew waxes everyone under the floorboards. Brutal.

[/quote]

Anyone who can make eating ice cream creepy is an amazing actor.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
Best:

Robert Downey, Jr.

Ralph Fiennes — played the most evil character in basically everything, from the Nazi in Shindler’s List to Voldemort to the pyscho killer in Red Dragon.

[/quote]

I agree.

Yet he knows how to be tender and heartbroken in a film like “The Constant Gardener” which I really liked. He’s really impressive.

His Cameo in “Hurt Locker” was pretty spot on as well, albeit about 68 seconds of screen time.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Viernes wrote:

[/quote]

Anyone who can make eating ice cream creepy is an amazing actor.[/quote]

Ah Ah… Don’t forget the creme…

For me, the likes of Nic Cage get a pass because they at least provide unintentional entertainment. Even Keanu has at least one good performance in him: he was excellent as a wife-beating hillbilly in The Gift, and he must have worked his ass off for the fight scenes in The Matrix trilogy.

Three actors I find unwatchable are Sam Worthington, Channing Tatum and Russell Brand.

I actually rate Gary Oldman above Daniel-Day Lewis in some respects: GO has never really capitalized on his early roles and got stuck in Hollywood villain limbo for most of his career. Even Chris Nolan originally wanted Oldman for a villain (he only snagged Gordon when original choice Chris Cooper turned it down).

DDL is known for his meticulous preparation for a role and has said that it’s the main reason he doesn’t do many movies. GO said that many of his choices were made to put food on the table and to fund Nil by Mouth.

Which makes me wonder how DDL can afford to pick roles that require such detailed prep?

For my Top 5 : Johnny Depp, Paul Newman, Marlon Brando, Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis

Bottom 5: Will Ferrell, chris farley, et al… cant devote my brain power to second rate shit any longer : )

Chris Cooper is another good one, good call Roybot.

Though his role in the Muppet Movie is pretty corny. Sposed to be that way, I spose.

Top 5 favorites:
Paul Newman
Leonardo DiCaprio
Harrison Ford
Jack Nicholson
George C. Scott

Least favorite:
Nicolas Cage
John Travolta
Tom Cruise
Arnold
Sylvester Stallone