T Nation

Favourite Book?

[quote]pookie wrote:
Dweezil wrote:
Pssh, gay. I draw animals that would shit Dora the Explorer out in little pieces.

Oh yeah? Well I’m getting a Transformers coloring book next.

We’ll see how your puny animals like to be trampled by super-cool giant robots.
[/quote]

Far from across the universe, the Go-Bots have come to earth to protect our planet, and to guide it to a better future! The unfriendly invaders who create hurricanes, earthquakes, and other disasters are no match for the power of the ultimate form-changing force, the Go-Bots!. With Go-Bots robots, anything is possible, because they have the ability to change - to become something new. Go-Go-Go-Bots!

[quote]pookie wrote:
Oh yeah? Well I’m getting a Transformers coloring book next.

We’ll see how your puny animals like to be trampled by super-cool giant robots.
[/quote]

I take Transformers and raise you whatever the fuck Mandalas are. You don’t know what they are, so not only are they mysterious, but they have the upper-hand. And whatever they are, they’re magic. I hope you’re ready for an ass-whooping of Mandalain proportions.

On Death And Dying by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

[quote]Dweezil wrote:

Non-fiction …

We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda by Philip Gourevitch
[/quote]
This is a must read.

[quote]

and Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.[/quote]

Great book. While it certainly draws heavily from Vonnegut’s own experiences I don’t know that I would call it non fiction. I think the part with the space aliens is fiction.

Does anyone know if Vonnegut is an insomniac? Much of that book really struck close to home.

[quote]vision1 wrote:
Surivor by Chuck Pahlaniuk, I also liked Catcher in the Rye.

For some big project I have a choice of 3 books to read, one of them being Catch 22. Should I pick that one? It sounds the best, but it’s also the longest so I’m undecided.[/quote]

Catch 22 is an absolute must read.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Great book. While it certainly draws heavily from Vonnegut’s own experiences I don’t know that I would call it non fiction. I think the part with the space aliens is fiction.

Does anyone know if Vonnegut is an insomniac? Much of that book really struck close to home.[/quote]

I classify Slaughterhouse Five as non-fiction if only because the crux of the story, which is obviously the war, is non-fiction.

I’ve never heard that he’s an insomniac.

Also glad to see someone that’s read the Philip Gourevitch book. You are honestly only the third person I’ve ever met (well, I don’t know if it counts through the internet) who’s read it.

i like harry potter =(

But if you all think harry potter is gay, i’d have to place down:

The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho

it kills all your books like stingrays

[quote]AKA wrote:
i like harry potter =(

But if you all think harry potter is gay, i’d have to place down:

The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho

it kills all your books like stingrays[/quote]

Krikey! Wait I am not allowed to say that or at least that is what I said on another thread.

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
I take Transformers and raise you whatever the fuck Mandalas are. You don’t know what they are, so not only are they mysterious, but they have the upper-hand. And whatever they are, they’re magic. I hope you’re ready for an ass-whooping of Mandalain proportions.[/quote]

Mandala shmandala.

I’m going righteous Star Wars-like on your Mandalan ass.

I’m coloring Darth Maul, Darth Vader and that phleg-clogged Grievous guy and unleashing a light-saber reaming the like of which has never been seen before.

Magic? I laugh at your pitiful shamanic magic. I’ve got the Force on my side. If the force can make that Yoda muppet a guy to be reckoned with, it trumps your primitive tribal magic any day.

And if, by some miracle, a few shred of Mandala is still twitching, I’m opening - not a can - but a whole Death Star of whoop ass on whatever feeble tremors might still animate your burnt out Mandalan carcass.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Mandala shmandala.

I’m going righteous Star Wars-like on your Mandalan ass.

I’m coloring Darth Maul, Darth Vader and that phleg-clogged Grievous guy and unleashing a light-saber reaming the like of which has never been seen before.

Magic? I laugh at your pitiful shamanic magic. I’ve got the Force on my side. If the force can make that Yoda muppet a guy to be reckoned with, it trumps your primitive tribal magic any day.

And if, by some miracle, a few shred of Mandala is still twitching, I’m opening - not a can - but a whole Death Star of whoop ass on whatever feeble tremors might still animate your burnt out Mandalan carcass.

[/quote]

The power of Christ compels you.

We by Yevegny Zamytatin is easily the most influential science fiction novel of the 20th century. It was written in 1920-1921 by a former Bolshevik about 25 years before Orwell’s 1984.

It has been many years, but I also enjoyed Beneath the Wheel (alternately titled The Prodigy) by Hermann Hesse. Actually almost anything by Hesse is good (Journey to the East, Steppenwolf, Magister Ludi, etc.)

Philip K. Dick wrote some great existential science fiction too. Valis, Flow My Tears the Policman Said, and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer come to mind.

For fun I suggest Bobos in Paradise by David Brooks.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
As far as inspiration goes I’d have to say Chuck Yeager’s autobiography as well as Bo Schembechlers’ “Tradition.”

A book I’m really enjoying right now though is “Kitchen Confidential” by Anthony Bourdaine.

B.[/quote]

“Feed Ze bitch or she will die!!” Kitchen Confidentail is a great book! It definatly gives you an insight into the world of professional cooking. It’s the one book that convinced me that while I love cooking, I don’t want to be a chef.

As for books, I’m currently reading Diary (palahniuk), The Fountainhead (Rand), The Idiot (Tolstoy). I just finished Classic Feynman. If your interested in physics or science in general i highly recomend it.

La’
Redsol1

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
The power of Christ compels you.[/quote]

Who’s your daddy?

[quote]julia87 wrote:

catcher in the rye is a favorite read of sociopaths.
Hey, you learn a lot from watching Criminal Minds [/quote]

Catcher in the Rye is a great book. And yes, I kill people.

If anyone’s interested, I’m reading Knowledge and Decisions by Thomas Sowell whenever I get spare time between classes. First of a few of Sowell’s books that I plan on reading.

You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers.

One of the greatest books that’s ever been written.

Ever.

My list:
Catcher in the Rye
Donnie Brasco
Gates of Fire
To Kill a Mockingbird

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
for fantasy or whatever you want to call it the A Song of Ice and Fire series has made everything else seem like shit to me (including Tolkien) so it wins definitively.[/quote]

I just picked up A Game of Thrones but was reluctant to start it because so many fantasy novels are too cliche. But now I’ll have to start it and see.

[quote]redsol1 wrote:

As for books, I’m currently reading Diary (palahniuk), The Fountainhead (Rand), The Idiot (Tolstoy). I just finished Classic Feynman. If your interested in physics or science in general i highly recomend it.
[/quote]

Isn’ The Idiot by Dostoevsky?

Enders Series
First series:

* Ender's Game
* Speaker for the Dead
* Xenocide
* Children of the Mind
* Ender in Exile: Ganges (working title)

Probably some of the best books of our fucking time thanks.

Yes!
Ender’s Game was badass. Loved that book.

Sci- fi

1. Ender’s Game- Orson Scott Card
  2. The Gods Themselves- Isaac Asimov

INFERNO by Dante is also a favorite of mine. Lastly SHOW ME GOD Vol. 1, by Fred Heeren is extremely good for all of you Intelligent Design types out there.