Favourite Assistance Exercises

Hey people, just wondering what your favourite assistance exercises are to your press days and your high pull days!

@sawinwright - currently for assistance work on pressing days I’m doing 3-4 sets of dips on one of the bench press variation days and 3-4 sets of a ring push up variation on the other BP day. On overhead pressing day I’m currently doing the landmine lateral raises that Ben Bruno has written about recently.

I’ll be switching up assistance movements every 4 weeks or so.

[quote]dave-g wrote:
@sawinwright - currently for assistance work on pressing days I’m doing 3-4 sets of dips on one of the bench press variation days and 3-4 sets of a ring push up variation on the other BP day. On overhead pressing day I’m currently doing the landmine lateral raises that Ben Bruno has written about recently.

I’ll be switching up assistance movements every 4 weeks or so.[/quote]

Are you doing two press days a week then dude? An overhead and bench with layers?

Dips
Kroc rows
Face pulls
Band pull-aparts and pull-downs

sawinwright - 3 pressing days/week at the moment. Split looks like this right now;

1. incline BP + dips
  2. high pull + DS rows
  3. decline BP + ring push up
  4. deadsquat lift + front squats
  5. military press from pins + landmine laterals
  6. high pull + biceps work.
    I do a bit of abs after each pressing workout and a bit of Prowler work after each leg workout at the moment too.

Seventh day is optional conditioning and abs work - although I am thinking about adding in some striking/grappling once per week which will replace that day.

Dave-G I like your setup and I think I’ll give just a one day break in between incline and decline pressing day again but when I first started doing the layer system one day didn’t seem like enough time to recover. Maybe now that I’ve been doing it for awhile it will be better. Do you find that one day is enough time to recover?

@jimjamin - the one rest day between incline and decline sessions has been working thus far. If at some point I notice a decrease in performance that lasts more than a session or two then I may drop the overhead press work for a bit and separate the two benching sessions a bit more. Alternatively I might drop the incline work for a bit and keep the OH press work in. So far my numbers have been acceptable though.