This site is the T-Nation equivalent for Real Estate and yes RE is a good investment right now because it is so fucking cheap.
Dispels a lot of the bullshit from the main media and gives a more unbiased view of the economy and politics that affect it.
1. Don't buy mutual funds they won't make you any money and they charge a ton of fees. ETFs are better/cheaper.
2. Diversity helps limit your losses but it also limits your gains, which hardly anyone talks about. Fully research a few select investments and then load up. It's the only way to make size money.
3. Listen to what everyone else around you is doing (except experts that are currently making money and have a long history of not fucking up) then do the exact opposite. The herd has been getting slaughtered/butt fucked since the dawn of time. If people actually knew what they were talking about then everyone would be rich as fuck. Most experts blow chunks too hence why everyone's 401ks and retirement savings disappeared.
4. IRA/401ks are ok, especially ROTH, but you can't use that money until you are a certain age without huge penalties. Also, the government has and probably will keep pushing that age mark back. With the looming debt I wouldn't be surprised if they taxed the shit out of them even though ROTH has already had taxes paid on it.
5. Keep detailed track of your gains and losses...taxes are so much easier to complete.