T Nation

Favorite Take Down or Throw?

I was talking about throws with a couple of my friends the other night and we were going over a few of our favorites. And then the question, “What is the most popular means of taking someone down?” was asked. We assumed a single leg, or double leg variations for wrestling, and possibly ippon seionage for judo.

Personally, I prefer Kata Guruma. It also happens to be my most effective throw in judo.

instructional: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD09HBiPgEU&feature=related

This last one is my most effective variation, only I keep one knee up as opposed to both down.

I find that most people don’t expect entry for kata from a righty to come in this manner.

at an amateur level I would say outside trip from the clinch is the most common.

As you go up in level you see more double and single legs.

My favourite in terms of how it feels is hip throw from the clinch. There is something about the way the guy wizzes through the air then slams down under you that just says ‘owned.’

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
at an amateur level I would say outside trip from the clinch is the most common.[/quote]

I like Osoto Gari, it’s quite effective against non-judokas at the amateur level :slight_smile:

Also my double leg sucks and my single leg isn’t that bad, so I use the latter quite often.

Kata Guruma is really hard to execute correctly, I like the variation in your last video, something like Fireman’s Carry.

It all depends on if Im fighting in a Gi tourni no-gi tournii or a MMA match…each one is much different for the type of takedown that would be effective IMO…For a GI- tourni I like tai otoshi…its a very non agressive grip on the gi, and its a great defensive move when backing away from a foot sweep or a reap etc…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AndrGzZyQ

If non gi with striking involved I prefer Harai Goshi, its easy to get from doublle under hooks or over under or wrist control and overhook…and in a striking application its much easier to get a guy to stand straight up for this throw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzJvve7g54s

If doing non-gi grappeling It all depends on the opponent…a bit easier to pick a take down or a throw when against a Judoka considering they keep a higher center of gravity…

usuually if i try to set up a throw on a real traditionall bjj guy they sit and pull guard or will jumpp guard…and its normally a waste of time for me to try to go on the offensive and set up a throw against a wrestler…

I guess each thhrow/take down has its own application depennding on the situation and who your fighting…

I have an extensive wrestling back grround so if all else fails Ill change levels and try for a ankle pick or a single/dbl…Just my personall preferences…
Thai.

uchi-mata

anything from the front headlock position

[quote]JRT6 wrote:
uchi-mata [/quote]

seconded

And if I miss with Uchi Mata, I’ve got Harai Goshi and Tai Otoshi right there for a quick combo succession.

Mule kick off underhook to ankle pick…works for me almost everytime I use it.

For BJJ unless I am very sure that I have better takedowns than the other person (which is unlikely) I almost always go for a tameonage (sacrifice throw where you put your foot on their hip, drop under them and throw them over your head.

If the person bases to defend this I will just grab the ankle and go for a basic open guard sweep. If this fails I am in a position to pull guard.

From a strictly grappling perspective I like series from inside control (since that was pretty much the only thing that worked consistently for me for the first few months of grappling practice, I got fairly good at getting it).

So, from there I like to either:
-snap down (either into a front headlock or figure 4 front choke depending on the situation/rules)
-if I get the headlock then I’ll use either a quarter or power half nelson to turn them to their back, or turn it into a knee pick
-if they muscle back up out of it I’ll shoot a double/high Crotch

or

-duck under to side/rear clinch (depending on the energy and the opponent’s reaction)
-knee block takedown, snatch single, drive through with a double, ankle pick, etc…

As far as takedowns that I would love to learn and get good at (and as far as I’m concerned spell total ownage):
-Suplex (especially jumping style ala Randleman vs. Fedor)
-Reverse Body lift/Karelin lift
-Lateral Drop/Salto (not exactly the same I know but both send the opponent flying heels over head)

Rodney Smith showed us some really cool throws, but I can’t remember the names of them.

I also like some of these takedowns by Leo Frincu, haven’t got a chance to try any of them out yet though:

The ankle pick is probably the lowest risk takedown I know but I just don’t like it as I’m slow on the level change and I just don’t find it to be… well, fun.

My higest percentage takedown/sweep is the good ole Osto Gari because most of the guys I takedown are the in and out the door UFC types who don’t know shit about posture.

Pretty sure I tore something that conects my pec and my front delt to my colar bone today…doing http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=qzJvve7g54s Still my favorite take down off the cage…We have a guy training for a MMA fight in Boston in April and Im his sparring partner…I had him up against the cage and tossed a few knees to the belly with a uppercut follow to get him to stand up…when he stood I overhooked across his back did the throw, got the takedown and landed in a scarf hold…

we finished out 2 more rounds and I noticed that I was having issues with my shoulder/pec…as the day has gone on Im having a hard time moving my arm much at all…So off to buy a sling until I can see the DOC on Monday morning…either way its still a great throw and I still got my takedown.

the rock bottom… :smiley:

[quote]thaiclinch wrote:
Pretty sure I tore something that conects my pec and my front delt to my colar bone today…doing Still my favorite take down off the cage…We have a guy training for a MMA fight in Boston in April and Im his sparring partner…

I had him up against the cage and tossed a few knees to the belly with a uppercut follow to get him to stand up…when he stood I overhooked across his back did the throw, got the takedown and landed in a scarf hold…

we finished out 2 more rounds and I noticed that I was having issues with my shoulder/pec…as the day has gone on Im having a hard time moving my arm much at all…So off to buy a sling until I can see the DOC on Monday morning…either way its still a great throw and I still got my takedown.[/quote]

Hmmm, link doesn’t work. Sorry to hear about your shoulder man. Being injured sucks. Hope it heals up fast.

Thanks ma, not sure why the link doesnt work but the throw was Harai Goshi.
Yeah its gay getting hurt, but it comes with the territory, this certainly isnt my worst injury ever and Im sure it wont be my last one either…

I like for her to throw me down and get on top and ride me…;}

For a no holds barred fight (playing around and sparring), an overhand right + hip scoop takedown that Fedor shows in his book seem to work best.

I don’t like shooting in for double legs yet because at my low technique level I don’t like exposing myself to guillotines and knees.

Wrestling!

[Top 3]

-Low Single
-2 on 1 foot sweep
-Shoulder throw

HARAI GOSHI ALL DAY!!