T Nation

Favorite Strength Training Books

Please post your favorite Strength Training Book/Manual/DVD/etc.

(Lets try to stay away form the beginner/novice stuff if we can.)

Thank You!!

Black Book of Training Secrets by CT

supertraining and arnold’s “encyclopedia” of bodybuilding.

lol, just kidding on the 2nd one.

Starting Strength by Rippetoe. Probably the most useful resource I have for strength training.

[quote]Naphta wrote:
Starting Strength by Rippetoe. Probably the most useful resource I have for strength training.[/quote]

I second this. I got the book (and the posters)…full of information. I often find myself simply referencing it every few weeks. Plenty of pictures. Mainly focuses on the big “4” (Squat, DL, Bench, Clean+Press) and how to properly execute them. Definitely helped me pack on some mass to my frame.

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
supertraining and arnold’s “encyclopedia” of bodybuilding.

lol, just kidding on the 2nd one.[/quote]

By no means having a ‘dig’ here but be weary of the supertraining recommendations. Its a post graduate level book and if the base isnt there in science do not even bother. Its not a sit down and read kind of book in my opinion -more a VERY useful reference. Very detailed and not written in a user friendly manner, even for an academic book.

Thanks for all the help!! :slight_smile:

1. Supertraining
  2. any soviet text
  3. www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm

Brooks Kubik’s Dinosaur Training

1. Supertraining

Sidenote: Just bought this book and have been trying to read it. Even for someone with a background in health and medicine it is not the most interesting read, but hell I’m only on page 42. Wouldn’t recommend this book to someone who has not taken a physiology, biology, anatomy class.

Dan John’s From the Ground Up. It’s free, too, on his website.
http://danjohn.org/bp.pdf

[quote]zawa wrote:

1. Supertraining
  2. any soviet text
  3. www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm[/quote]

Saw a new Soviet text over at EliteFitness.

Brawn, Stuart McRobert.

Power to the People

I have Supertraining and some others, but this book snapped my out of my “FLEX” daze.

The Development of Physical Power, by Arthur Saxon.