Favorite Sports Quote!

A friend of mine just sent me this quote. Don’t know who its by but I feel it will appeal to a lot of people on this site:

“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights”

I don’t know if this has been done before but I thought this would be a good chance for people to post their favourite sports quotes.

that is by muhammad ali

The vision of a champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion when no one else is watching

Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill

LOOK AT THAT LITTLE MONKEY GO!
LOL!

HOward Cosell or however you spell his name.

My all time favorite sports quote I heard when watching the Houston Rockets in a NBA playoff game. During a timeout close to the end of the game the Rockets were at the sidelines discussing what they were going to do. A cameraman went over to them just as Hakeem Olajuwon was telling the team what he thought they should do. He said “Give me ball. I dunk it.” Now that’s short, sweet, and to the point.

Carlsbad

[quote]Carlsbad wrote:
My all time favorite sports quote I heard when watching the Houston Rockets in a NBA playoff game. During a timeout close to the end of the game the Rockets were at the sidelines discussing what they were going to do. A cameraman went over to them just as Hakeem Olajuwon was telling the team what he thought they should do. He said “Give me ball. I dunk it.” Now that’s short, sweet, and to the point.

Carlsbad[/quote]

That’s awesome! Hahahha!

That hakeem quote is pretty hilarious. I wonder if they gave him the ball.

My two favorite sports related quotes are both my muhhamed ali:

“If you even dream of beating me, you better wake up and appoligize.”

and

“I’m so fast I can turn out the lights in the bedroom and be in bed before it gets dark.”

My favorite is Rickey Henderson right after he stole his record-setting base. They give him a microphone on the field and he says, in a dead serious manner:

“Today… I am the greatest… of all time.”

Mike Tyson: “I’m gonna pound him into Bolivia.”

For me, winning isn’t something that happens suddenly on the field when the whistle blows and the crowds roar. Winning is something that builds physically and mentally every day that you train and every night that you dream.
~ Emmitt Smith, American Football Player

I believe this is why many of us, not all, push ourselves to the limit in the gym when nobody is watching and nobody is cheering for us.

“Lennox Lewis, I’m coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I’m just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!”

-Mike Tyson

“We couldn’t do diddley-poo offensively.”

-Jim Mora

“[W]e’re talking about our idiot kicker who got liquored up and ran his mouth off. The sad thing is, he’s a good kicker. He’s a good kicker, but he’s an idiot.”

-Peyton Manning

“Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.”

-Joe Theismann

“You can observe a lot just by watching.”

-Yogi Berra

“The day you take complete responsibility for yourself, the day you stop making any excuses, thats the day you start to the top.”

-OJ Simpson

“No one knows what to say in the loser’s locker room.”

-Muhammad Ali

“I?m no different from anyone else with two arms, two legs, and 4200 hits.”

-Pete Rose

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”

-Vince Lombardi

“In 1962 I was named Minor League Player of the Year. It was my second season in the bigs.”

-Bob Uecker

“I’m out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.”

-Kareem Abdul Jabbar in Airplane!

[quote]tumbeh wrote:
Mike Tyson: “I’m gonna pound him into Bolivia.”[/quote]

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

I think his most classic one is:

“One morning I woke up and found my favorite pigeon, Julius, had died I was devastated and was gonna use his crate as my stickball bat to honor him. I left the crate on my stoop and went in to get something and I returned to see the sanitation man put the crate into the crusher. I rushed him and caught him flush on the temple with a titanic right hand he was out cold, convulsing on the floor like a infantile retard.”

And:

“I can sell out Madison Square Garden masturbating.”

“Great pitching always beats great hitting, and vice versa.”

“When you are younger you get blamed for crimes you never committed and when you’re older you begin to get credit for virtues you never possessed. It evens itself out.”

Casey Stengel

“The other day they asked me about mandatory drug testing. I said I believed in drug testing a long time ago. All through the '60s I tested everything.”

Bill “Spaceman” Lee

“The future ain’t what it used to be.”

Yogi Berra

“I wouldn’t ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important - like a league game or something.”
-Dick Butkus

“Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.”
-Steve Prefontaine

“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees”

ok i know im going to catch heat for this but mine is from sports entertanment by Ric Flair. “To be the man you gotta beat the man” i think it can apply to any sport.

When asked about escalating player salaries, Patrick Ewing relplied, “Sure we make a lot of money, but we spend an awful lot, too!”

“Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.”

• Bob Uecker as Harry Doyle in Major League

“Some guys float like a butterfly and sting like a bee,but when I hit you,it feels like you got hit by a Mack truck”
Riddick Bowe in 92 before he defeated Holyfield.

The above quote from Steve Prefontaine reminded me of another one of his quotes, that I think is particularly good:

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
-Steve Prefontaine

“Playoffs?!?!”

-Jim Mora

and

“Practice”

-Allen Iverson