Favorite Song

^haha, I think you busted my chops on that before IH.

I’m sorry, here,s a gift for you I brought in from outside, thought you might like it.

[quote]Hallowed wrote:
Greatest Song of All Time.

Blue Morning, Blue Day
foreigner

My all time favorite song.

Srsly, listen to it, mkay?

I have that in my iTunes playlist, Edgy.

Figure I could give this a more earnest effort.

Hip Hop:

I don’t think I could ever have a truly favorite song but I’ll try. A song about suicide… The pictures El-P can paint with his lyrics. The third verse gives me chills every time. The nearly symphonic instrumental piece at the end is great too.

Rock:

Only word that can describe this guy for me is virtuoso.

With the first song barely resembling a standard hip-hop song and with the second song being an instrumental fusion of many genres I think it’s safe to say I like to see people push the envelope with their music… I listen to a looooot of music so the same old thing tends to really get boring and transparent.

Louis Armstrong-What A Wonderful World

I like the contrast of a slow, pleasant, peaceful song with my training sessions. I can’t get stuff to load on here from YouTube, so here is a link, should anyone want to listen.

A Perfect Circle- Rose

Chris Brown- Look At Me Now

Seal-Kiss From a Rose

Slipknot- People=Shit

Ne-Yo- Beautiful Monster

Karl Jenkins- Un Bolero Azul

Two favorites:

Thrice - Deadbolt

Jedi Mind Tricks - I against I

well at least one of em,

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

Jedi Mind Tricks - I against I

[/quote]

Not many groups had an impact on Hip-Hop as much as Jedi Mind Tricks. In recent, we are seeing their impact in mainstream hip-hop with a huuuuge increase in orchestral-type sampling going on (albeit its done rather whack in comparison). Drake is the prime example of this. I would shit my pants if he actually named them as an influence though lol. Groups like this that are so ahead of their time need yeeaaaaaaaaaars for their impact to really be felt.

For comparison:

Drake

JMT

JMT has been doing this since the goddamn 90’s… lol Ironically it is only as their reign as some of the kings of underground is coming to an end that their impact is felt.

^Sampling or adding stringed instruments is nothing new in popular or underground rap.

See: RZA, Kanye’s beats on his own records.

The Waterboys - The Whole Of The Moon.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
^Sampling or adding stringed instruments is nothing new in popular or underground rap.

See: RZA, Kanye’s beats on his own records.[/quote]

It isn’t stringed instruments its full ranged(well semi-full at the least) orchestral samples. I’m very familiar with RZA’s body of work as well as Kanye’s work. If, however, you had an example of RZA using such production pre 1997ish I would be very interested in hearing it. I’m fairly sure such a thing doesn’t exist though. Kanye hasn’t been around long enough to be in this discussion.