Favorite Series of Novels

^Ya, it’s really a boring series you pretty much have to take notes on while reading if you want to remember who half the people are. I lost interest pretty quickly.

What’s the Dark Tower series about?

I enjoyed the Culture series too, although there’s no real continuity between them.

The Laundry novels, by Charles Stross, are an entertaining read. It’s not serious reading, but it is a smart mishmash of bizarreness. I’ve seen it described as James Bond crossed with Dilbert. But literally one of the books involves Nazis in a parallel dimension using high end mathematics to conjure demons, with a men-in-black style organization out to stop them, all while mired in bureaucratic overhead and office politics.

For that matter, the Bond novels are pretty good too though. Quite a bit more serious than the movies.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
What’s the Dark Tower series about?[/quote]

Trans-dimensional cowboy seeks man in black, has adventures and learns some important lessons along the way.

I enjoyed it. Some books more than others, but I definitely enjoyed it.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Trans-dimensional cowboy seeks man in black, has adventures and learns some important lessons along the way.

[/quote]

Interesting. I might grab the 4 book set and see how it goes.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

LOL.

Yes, exactly what twojarslave wrote =D

Give it a read. As he mentioned, some books are clearly superior to the others, but overall it’s just a great read.

Especially if you’re a fan of King to begin with and have read a good number of his earlier works. The Dark Tower series is said to be his “magnum opus” and he includes a lot of references to his earlier stuff.

Hmmmm, I’ve not read a lot of Kings work actually…

*The Green Mile is it I think.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

*The Green Mile is it I think. [/quote]

In that case I would recommend you go to the local library and pick any of these books and give them a read-

The Shining/Pet Semetary/Salem’s Lot/The Stand.

A couple of these figure into the Dark Tower series, but overall they’re pretty much the best out of King’s works (imo). If you enjoy them, then you’ll probably enjoy The Dark Tower series.

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is my all time favorite, just for fun book series. My hubs also liked them, so not just for chicks.

The first book is called Outlander. http://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Diana-Gabaldon/dp/0440212561/ref=sr_1_1?s=books

The Starz network made a series based on them. I’ve only seen the pilot episode, but it was good. I’m looking forward to seeing them on DVD.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

Interesting. I might grab the 4 book set and see how it goes. [/quote]

there’s 7.5 books and a short story.

No Wheel of Time love?

Glad to see John Ringo get some love. I’ve read his Paladin series a couple times and the Council War series once (planning on picking that one up again in the future).

As far as ASOIAF series, I agree the series is kind of convoluted with a ton of information and characters to remember, but I think he is pushing forward in his own way, just trying (and doing a great job) to keep it from becoming obvious what is going to happen.

I’ve been reading the hell out of some Terry Pratchett for the last couple months. I was able to copy a file that is about 16 gig of e-books, and it has a big chunk of his Discworld stuff. Has a ton of stuff in the file, but it is all listed by author so if I don’t recognize the name I have no idea what books are on there.

Wrote down some of the recommendations from here though, always looking for new stuff.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

In that case I would recommend you go to the local library and pick any of these books and give them a read-

A couple of these figure into the Dark Tower series, but overall they’re pretty much the best out of King’s works (imo). If you enjoy them, then you’ll probably enjoy The Dark Tower series.[/quote]
My favorite IT. Totally fucked up, but really good.

I agree on the Dark Tower novels. The first four are great, the last three aren’t quite up to par with the first four. You can tell he took a break there in between. My favorite is the third one, The Wastelands.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
The Jack Reacher novels are pretty good. I’m not sure if they’re considered a series though. [/quote]

I was going to menton these, and sounds like a good recommendation as the OP likes the Spenser series.

Eric Van Lustbader 's Nicholas Linnear cycle/The Ninja; Sunset Warrior cycle; China Maroc

Wade Barker’s Year of the Ninja Master series

Shawn Chesser’s “Surviving The Zombie Apocalypse” series is easily one of the best in the zombie-genre. Not the most creative title, and the book covers are similar to a early 2000 Cash Money Records album. But, the writing is excellent. It’s obvious this guy does a lot of research and has some great military consultants. Great for Walking Dead fans.

Don Winslow (Savages) has a pretty good PI series with a character named Boone Daniels. Big fan of Winslow’s style.

Some really hardcore insanity would be Anthony Neil Smith’s Billy Lafitte books (Yellow Medicine, Hogdoggin, The Baddest Ass). Huge fan of Anthony Neil Smith’s works. Ultra creepy.

HARRY BOSCH, Michael Connolly for the win.

Nelson DeMille’s John Corey series is great.
I got sick of Reacher and then when they had Tom Cruise casted as him, I lost interest.
Jeffrey Dever’s series is good too with the paraplegic.
Never got into Dan Brown, he’s fine, I read two books and that was enough.

The problem with series, are they just put out product.

I enjoyed the first four books of Frank Herbert’s Dune series quite a bit. I read the rest of his books but none of them really appealed to me the way the first four did.

His son, Brian Herbert and some other guy who I can’t recall right now decided to flesh out the history of Dune with a whole series of prequel books, of which I’ve probably read six or seven. Some may call that cashing in on dad’s legacy, but I think he did a pretty good job of carrying the torch. None were as good as the original Dune, but they never are.

I definitely enjoyed the Brian Herbert books that I’ve read. I may go to the library and get another one tonight, in fact. I’m pretty sure he spit out quite a few that I haven’t read.

1 Like

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

A couple of these figure into the Dark Tower series, but overall they’re pretty much the best out of King’s works (imo). If you enjoy them, then you’ll probably enjoy The Dark Tower series.[/quote]

I think I’ll do that.