T Nation

Favorite Series of Novels

I enjoy the book and movie recommendations of the wise readers of this website. Hell I've even asked you men for relationship advice on occasion. I was wondering if you have any recommendations on novels that have evolved into longrunning series. I enjoy watching characters develop over the years. One of my favorites is the Spenser series written by Robert B. Parker.

I like the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks. Fucked up sci fi with aliens brutalising each other in all sorts of ways and having sex.

What’s not to like?

Donald Westlake aka Richard Stark: The Parker Series
Amazing writer.

I really enjoyed the Inheritance series bu Christopher Paolini. It’s not exactly brain busting reading, but the 4 books are very enjoyable to read.

Clive Cussler’s Oregon Files. Old fashioned action movie high adventure, the protagonist is a charismatic one legged blonde Mexican with a rusty boat equipped with miniguns and long range missiles. Some of it gets a little far fetched but for the most part is pretty grounded. Cussler generates some pretty neat villains too.

Stephen R. Donaldson, The Covenant Chronicles. Kinda Lord of the Rings fantasy type.

Has anyone read the Southern Victory series?

I like the Lucas Davenport/Virgil Flowers Prey series by John Sandford. Easy reading.

Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan novels were top notch

Sackett series
Anything by RA Salvatore or raymond feist

[quote]derf wrote:
Sackett series
Anything by RA Salvatore or raymond feist[/quote]

I’m a fan of RA Salvatore too (if you cant tell by my avatar) Ive been reading RA Salvatore’s fantasy series for 20 years. Great books and characters. Derf, have you read any of his jedi series. Wondered how they are?

Tarzan - Edgar Rice Burroughs - 24 books

Repairman Jack books - F Paul Wilson - 15 books + 3 that deal with his life before the series

Felix Castor books - Mike Carey - 5 books so far

Sandman Slim - Richard Kadrey - 7 books so far

Broken Empire(Prince of Thorns, etc) - Mark Lawrence - 3 books plus started a new series in the same world

[quote]stoicwarrior wrote:

[quote]derf wrote:
Sackett series
Anything by RA Salvatore or raymond feist[/quote]

I’m a fan of RA Salvatore too (if you cant tell by my avatar) Ive been reading RA Salvatore’s fantasy series for 20 years. Great books and characters. Derf, have you read any of his jedi series. Wondered how they are?[/quote]
This. Anything with Drizzt Do’Urden and the gang is a win.

Anything written by John Ringo - GREAT military and military sci fi
Robert Buettner’s Jason Wander/Orphan series
John Scalzi’s Old Man’s War series

I read quite a bit and these books I have held onto as I intend to read them again somewhere down the line.

The Jack Reacher novels are pretty good. I’m not sure if they’re considered a series though.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

My all time favorite is probably the Aubrey-Maturin series (master and commander is the first book) with the Sharpe series a close second. I also really like saxon chronicles, but they aren’t finished yet.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Clancy[/quote]

I’ve never enjoyed Clancy novels, I don’t know why, but they just never stick for me. I feel the same about the Game of Thrones series. I’ve read Game of Thrones and about half of Clash of Kings and just lost interest.

I’m a big fan of the three Dan Brown books that feature Robert Langdon as the main protagonist (Angels & Demons, The Da Vinci Code, and Inferno). I guess you could call that a series. I really like Brown’s writing.

Little bit of an off the wall series, but I also like The Hollows by Kim Harrison. I’ve read all except the final book (It’s like 14 books).

The Dark Tower series.
Harry Potter series.

The AOIAF series would have been great if R.R. Martin wasn’t a fucking douchebag who doesn’t know when to stop writing and adding more and more crap.

I’ve completely lost interest by book four. He’s creating history at this point, not actually writing an engaging series of stories. The man lost sight of the fact that he’s a WRITER, not a HISTORIAN.

But what can you do when the entire selling point of your book seems to be “Oh, I’m amazing because I kill off anyone whenever I want just for shock value instead of adding significance and driving characters forward in a straight-forward literary sense”. The sad part being that he just descends into nonsensical writer crap whenever it’s convenient for him, but doesn’t seem to realize it.