Favorite Scotch

Gotta be in the mood for Talisker. Its an in your face flavor. My favorite blended was always Famous Grouse but I’m starting to like Black Label. I just recently had the Glenmorangie aged in a Port cask and may have found a new single malt favorite. If you haven’t tried it you’re missing out. So many single malts and so little time…

[quote]knewsom wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
I’ve tried to acquire a taste for scotch, but I just can’t choke the shit down.

On the other hand I love my whiskey and waters(dirty water) and occassionally drink some Beam.

Sorry scotchies, I gave it a good fair shot.

Hey, I like bourbon too - a Wild Turkey or a Maker’s Mark is pretty good if there’s no single malt scotch around - I just don’t like much of the blended stuff.

The taste IS quite different, but in my mind, still pleasant. As for your neg. reaction to scotch, well, it could be that you’re allergic to Peat. A good friend of mine is, and he just feels AWFUL when he drinks it, not to mention finding the taste VERY unpalateable.[/quote]

Whereas I can’t touch the bourbon, it leaves a unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth and I will get a hangover which I don’t from single malt scotches.

[When I was 18, my boyfriend at the time decided that I WAS going to learn how to appreciate single malts and there were no mixers involved. Now, I can’t bear more than the tiniest splash of water in the scotch, if I’m going to mix it at all.]

wtf with the age limits ? fuck off.

my dad drank glenlivet.
for that reason i really like glenlivet also. doesn’t knock you over but there’s a ton of stuff going on . it’s really elegant w/lots of aromatic high pitched flavor … refreshing malt.

i like bushmills and blackbush for the same purpose. irish i know but bb is still a malt. and awesome to drink w/ beer. may main drink is a bushmills and a stout(partial to o’hara’s).

another one i like quite a bit is bruichladdich…there’s real magic going on there.

also i don’t want to leave out lagavulin. that shit is royalty. that’s the kind of sauce you stretch out over a half hour. it’ll definitely keep up w/ any cigar.

elijah craig bourbon kicks frickn ass btw. though i think my favorite is baker’s . mmm cherry.

props to the lagavulin!

Glenmorangie is my go-to scotch and I like it poured over a few cubes of ice. It’s a beautiful thing to just let the cubes blend in with the scotch.

Actually, I have enjoyed scotch on from an early age. I used to drink quite a bit of Black Label when out for the evening. It was usually the best compromise between taste and affordability at the time. I even had a girlfriend that gave a bottle of the Blue Label to me for a birthday present. I believe at the time it was around 100$ a bottle. Honestly thought it was very overated; even with a higher price tag, it’s still a blend.

I didn’t begin to learn about scotch however until I started waiting tables at a high-end restaurant with an extensive scotch menu. Can you believe the management used to pay us to attend scotch tasting seminars? Talk about putting the wolves in with the sheep.

[quote]swivel wrote:
also i don’t want to leave out lagavulin. that shit is royalty. that’s the kind of sauce you stretch out over a half hour. it’ll definitely keep up w/ any cigar.
[/quote]

I like Lagavulin. I’m drinking it right now. I think I’ll have another.

I like most of the big, peat flavoured Islay whiskeys, like Laphroiag and Lagavulin. I’ll buy Bowmore’s if I can’t find anything else, but it is nowhere near as smoky as those two.

Glenfiddich is nice, but only their 15 year and older stuff. Their 12 year old is over-rated.

For everyday drinking, I like Glenlivet or even Jamesons.

[quote]bgl500 wrote:
I even had a girlfriend that gave a bottle of the Blue Label to me for a birthday present. I believe at the time it was around 100$ a bottle. Honestly thought it was very overated; even with a higher price tag, it’s still a blend.
[/quote]

I completely agree. Blue Label is what wankers who are trying to look impressive buy. You can get much better whiskey for about a quarter of the price.

Fuck Scotch drink Welsh Whiskey…
Penderyn single malt Welsh whisky once you try that you will be hooked. Thing is its not cheap. But dontcha know Jack Daniel’s was Welsh !?

Scotch: JW Blue straight with a Pelligrino chaser.

Bourbon: Maker’s Mark or Woodford Reserve. The former is good w/ a splash of gingerale. Both are good straight up or on the rocks.

[quote]Massif wrote:
bgl500 wrote:
I even had a girlfriend that gave a bottle of the Blue Label to me for a birthday present. I believe at the time it was around 100$ a bottle. Honestly thought it was very overated; even with a higher price tag, it’s still a blend.

I completely agree. Blue Label is what wankers who are trying to look impressive buy. You can get much better whiskey for about a quarter of the price. [/quote]

Most people drink the stuff the wrong way. Gotta chase it with a good bottle of mineral water. I = not a wanker.

Lagavulin is very good. Chivas is very drinkable for everyday kind of dinkin’

Blue Label despite being a bit pansy ass, is pretty bloody good.

But the best in my opinion is Auchentoshan. Try it.

Magnificent.

I have a few bottles with numbers not names, from the Whisky Society in Scotland, yeah. My wife picked them up, they are to her liking, not mine, too sweet I think. I like mine to taste like someone just laid waste to the farmstead.

[quote]Victor Lustig wrote:
Penderyn single malt Welsh whisky once you try that you will be hooked. Thing is its not cheap. But dontcha know Jack Daniel’s was Welsh !?[/quote]

I’ll have to give that one a go… and no, I had no idea that Jack Daniels was a Briton (and by Briton I mean Welsh, if I ment English, I would’ve said “Saxon”)… what’s Welsh Whiskey taste like anyhow?

[quote]swivel wrote:
i like bushmills and blackbush for the same purpose. irish i know but bb is still a malt. and awesome to drink w/ beer. may main drink is a bushmills and a stout(partial to o’hara’s).
[/quote]

Sorry, neither is a malt. They are however prime examples of how good a blended whiskey can be.

TQB

[quote]knewsom wrote:
Victor Lustig wrote:
Penderyn single malt Welsh whisky once you try that you will be hooked. Thing is its not cheap. But dontcha know Jack Daniel’s was Welsh !?

I’ll have to give that one a go… and no, I had no idea that Jack Daniels was a Briton (and by Briton I mean Welsh, if I ment English, I would’ve said “Saxon”)… what’s Welsh Whiskey taste like anyhow?[/quote]

Don’t you mean Anglo- Saxon, but I’m not that up on History, thought the Saxon’s were still in Germany and Holland.

Here is a quote from the Welsh-Whiskey website…

Penderyn Whisky
" The whisky is ‘finished’ in Madeira casks to impart a generous flavour of subtle complexity. The whisky spirit is supremely smooth, mellow and full of flavour - even before it is laid down to mature in oak barrels Hand crafted to perfection, the unique distillation and maturation process at Penderyn produces a single malt whisky that is smooth, light in character and softly golden in colour. This fine whisky captures the true spirit of Wales .

At premium strength (46% abv) Penderyn single malt whisky has an exceptionally balanced taste with an aroma of cream toffee and fleetingly of fresh new leather. Then, as the initial sensations fade, the finishing notes of tropical fruits, raisins and vanilla emerge strongly and are long lasting."

I don’t know if you can get it Stateside. But seeing as there are supposedly 2 Million off American’s with Welsh ancestry (inclusing my Uncle who lives in Boston) you might be in luck.

[quote]TQB wrote:
swivel wrote:

Sorry, neither is a malt. They are however prime examples of how good a blended whiskey can be.

TQB
[/quote]

check again dude , blackbush is not a blend.

Glenmorangie is definately a favorite of mine. Preferably the 18 year old.
Not too crazy about blends.

I always have it with 3 ice cubes.
Not 2, not 4…always 3.

I like the Bruichladdich as a change of pace, but its too salty for my tastes to have regularly.

i wont dispute the quality of auchentochan , it wouldnt have survived otherwise, i just have never been able to enjoy that lowland taste.

i tend not to drink blends (i know im an alc snob, ive gotten over it) but what do people think of BNJ? I prefer it over some of the more vanilla malts.

Glenfiddich Solera Reserve, aged 15 years. Sooooo smooth.

[quote]swivel wrote:
TQB wrote:
swivel wrote:

TQB

[/quote]

Checked. It remains a blend.

The official website is down

[quote]TQB wrote:
swivel wrote:
TQB wrote:
swivel wrote:

TQB

Checked. It remains a blend.

The official website is down[/quote]

bollix ! my world is crumbling !
TQB you are of course correct. my good old dad always calls it a malt. in fact i asked him as my own double check, he grumbled “malt” and hung up on me in a way which clearly said “son, why are you bothering me about something you’re going to turn into piss ?”

your second post prompted me to call a rep i know who works for pernod-ricard(now owners of bushmills) and he confirmed the blend status. 75% malt, which accounts for it’s great flavor, but still a blend.

and so, i’m left asking myself.“why would i doubt my dad?” …well, once my dad made sunday breakfast for me and my high school buddy steve and it was probably the best breakfast i’ve ever eaten, except the plate full of muffins on the table were all moldy. me and steve watched as my dad buttered them up and washed them down. when he went to the kitchen to get more coffee steve looks at me and says " …i’m not gonna tell him" and i just looked back at steve and said " i’m not gonna tell him either." so dad returned w/ more coffee and ate the rest of the muffins…how can i doubt a man who eats moldy muffins w/ marmalade?