T Nation

Favorite Quotes

"A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror."

-Ken Keys

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand upon. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them"

John Wayne.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --Greek Proverb

I really like this one.

If you alwayas put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortatlity, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you.

-Bruce Lee

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

-- Lao Tzu (sometimes credited to Confucius)

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here."
-- Richard Dawkins, excerpt from Chapter I, "The Anaesthetic of Familiarity," of Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder (1998)

"You cannot stop the storms of life...but you can adjust the sails."

"It is better to light a candle than to curse in the dark."

Hmmm...difficult choice. Very difficult choice. But I think my favourite quote comes from the great G.K. Chesterton, in The Man Who Was Thursday:

'We may perhaps concede to the mathematicians that four is twice two, but two is not twice one. It is a millions times one.'

'Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp.
Or what's a heaven for?'

'Andrea del Sarto' by Robert Browning.

The following quote is one of my favourites and it was first said by one of T-Nations members:

Stop making excuses for why you don't have certain things, don't look a certain way and can't do this and can't do that. Get off your lazy fucking ass, grow some balls and go make shit happen. Create your own destiny and use the most powerful thing you were given since birth - free will.

• Amsterdam Animal

In The Big Lebowski Walter says:

"If you will it, it is no dream."

and I think he says Theodore Herzl said that.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it"

Oscar Wilde

"If you are going through Hell...keep going"

Winston Churchill

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

"no. no. what're ya doing?!? dont lift with your legs. your backs the strongest muscle in your body. and look man, your knees arent even locked. how do you expect to stand up straight? come on. put your groin into it. and stop exhaling on every lift. the goal is to hold your breath as long as possible. under stress the body produces all the oxygen it needs."

"lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand. take it easy." - the eagles, take it easy

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt