Favorite Progression Schemes

Hey guys I thought it would be cool to create a thread of your favorite progression schemes. There are plenty of popular programs out there that give great results but often we stumble along our own system that works really well. This could be for any exercise. I’ll list some of my own.

Military press:
whatever I can handle for 2 sets of 3
strip off 25 pounds after the last heavy set and rep out
do this twice a week and go up 5 pounds a week

Squat:
Maximum weight I can handle for 7 reps
increase the weight by 20 pounds and rep out
do this twice a week and go up 10 pounds a week

Deadlift:
go up 10 pounds a week for 3 weeks
on the 4th week drop off 10 pounds and start over
this equates to a 10 pound gain on deadlift every 3 weeks
slow and steady but really adds up over time
on a separate day I do a deadlift variation

Anyone have any favorites they wanna share?

I’ve slowly developed my own deadlift routine which has helped me go from 305 in July of last year to 495 now hopefully 520 in two more weeks and 600 by August.

Note that I do my best in Sumo so if you pull conventional this might not work. I also don’t calculate actual percentages so these are all estimates.

Wk 1: Deficit Pulls up to roughly 60% of my max I’d guess. Usually higher rep being sets of 5 the entire time. I do these conventional
Wk 2: Still Conventional Deficit pulls up to maybe 70% of my max for 3.
Wk 3: Stil Conventional Deficit pulls up to about 70% for a double and then go up to about 80% for a single but switching to sumo deficit.
Wk 4: Work up to a double (Sumo) at whatever my former max was. So for example two cycles ago I hit 470. Last cycle I hit 495. This time I’m going for 520. So this time on this week I did a double at 470. Next cycle will be a double at 495…
Wk 5: Reverse Band Pulls (Sumo from floor) so that the top is about 30-50 lbs more than what I want my PR to be for a single
Wk 6: Reverse Band Pulls (Sumo from floor) so that the top is about 30-50 lbs more than what I want my PR to be for a single
Wk 7: PR Day (Sumo from floor)
Wk 8: Don’t even enter the gym

For my Bench I follow someone elses program and Squat I’m currently just working on technique but after New Years will probably develop my own routine for that.

[quote]EndersDrift2 wrote:
I’ve slowly developed my own deadlift routine which has helped me go from 305 in July of last year to 495 now hopefully 520 in two more weeks and 600 by August.

Note that I do my best in Sumo so if you pull conventional this might not work. I also don’t calculate actual percentages so these are all estimates.

Wk 1: Deficit Pulls up to roughly 60% of my max I’d guess. Usually higher rep being sets of 5 the entire time. I do these conventional
Wk 2: Still Conventional Deficit pulls up to maybe 70% of my max for 3.
Wk 3: Stil Conventional Deficit pulls up to about 70% for a double and then go up to about 80% for a single but switching to sumo deficit.
Wk 4: Work up to a double (Sumo) at whatever my former max was. So for example two cycles ago I hit 470. Last cycle I hit 495. This time I’m going for 520. So this time on this week I did a double at 470. Next cycle will be a double at 495…
Wk 5: Reverse Band Pulls (Sumo from floor) so that the top is about 30-50 lbs more than what I want my PR to be for a single
Wk 6: Reverse Band Pulls (Sumo from floor) so that the top is about 30-50 lbs more than what I want my PR to be for a single
Wk 7: PR Day (Sumo from floor)
Wk 8: Don’t even enter the gym

For my Bench I follow someone elses program and Squat I’m currently just working on technique but after New Years will probably develop my own routine for that.[/quote]

Nice I like that deadlift routine! It seems like you put a lot of thought into it. If my routine fails me I might give this one a go. How large is the deficit you pull from?

I wouldn’t really say I put a lot of thought into it or anything. Just sorta developed it naturally as I would just pay attention to what the hardest part of my PR was and work to improve that.

It’s a 2" platform I use. There’s a video of it in my log. Its the last session on the page.
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/tauromachie?id=4657891&pageNo=2