Favorite Playstation Game (PS1)

Back when gameplay and not pretty particles mattered most there was a not so powerful little quality game shittin’ powerhouse known as the Sony Playstation. Just the sound of the signature swooshy synth start up sound makes me smile.

My pick is Castlevania - Symphony of the Night.

This game had it all for me. It was a 2d side scroller, there were no stages or levels, it was a huge map that you filled in. It was the perfect mix of rpg elements in an action game. You leveled up your character by gaining experience through killing enemies. You could equip weapons and armor to different body parts, which in turn effected your defense, attack, luck etc.

Weapons and items could be obtained from killing items. There were secrets galore that made the replay value almost endless. You found items that changed your character into different animals or substances such as a bat or mist that could pass through certain walls to get to new areas or use sonar in an unlit area full of spikes. Yeah this game was the shit.

My all time favorite game is still Final Fantasy 8.

Gran Turismo. I played that damn game like it was my job.

I’ll have to go with Final Fantasy 7 on this one.

Xenogears - far and away. Not that trumped up shit trilogy they put out for PS2 over the past 5 years (Xenosaga).

For those who said Final Fantasy games - give Xenogears a shot. I thought FF7 was the end all of RPGs until I played this.

[quote]bob_sander87 wrote:
I’ll have to go with Final Fantasy 7 on this one.[/quote]

I have to agree…

[quote]aznt0rk wrote:
bob_sander87 wrote:

I have to agree…[/quote]

Another vote for FFVII.

It’s cliche to say but I honestly don’t think I can pick a favorite game from PS1 or SNES(I know you didn’t ask but just saying). Instead I’ll try to jog some people’s memories of the not so obvious choices(FF7 =p)

Resident Evil 2
Twisted Metal 2
Final Fantasy Tactics(if you’ve never played this get a ps1 emulator and do it now, one of the most complete and difficult RPGs ever)
Vagrant Story(same as above, also EXTREMELY unique and crazy character customization)
Tekken(my personal choice would be 3)
Medal Of Honor(all you people playing FPS on consoles now owe this game your life, because Doom and Quake failed hard)

Realistically I expect FF7 to still get picked most, but w/e =]

FFVII - the reason I traded in my n64.

Suikoden I + II

My favorite RPG series. Not too many people have played these games since every Suikoden that came out has been limited. These games are worth quite a bit if you have one.

My second favorite has to be the first Wild Arms.

[quote]red04 wrote:
Final Fantasy Tactics(if you’ve never played this get a ps1 emulator and do it now, one of the most complete and difficult RPGs ever)[/quote]

Thief! You stole mine! I fart in you general direction!

I didn’t think anyone else would even think of mentioning that one. Anyway, that’s the one game I still find myself going back to play. And yes, it can be pretty hard . . . unless you acquire Blade Grasp as a Samurai :wink:

Others I have to mention are:

Fifa World Cup '98

and, yes I know it’s cliche, but I have to do it:

Final Fantasy VII

I just have a lot of great memories playing that game. It’s still nothing compared to Final Fantasy VI, though (but we’re talking PS1 here, not SNES.)

[quote]Mikaj wrote:
Suikoden I + II

My favorite RPG series. Not too many people have played these games since every Suikoden that came out has been limited. These games are worth quite a bit if you have one.

My second favorite has to be the first Wild Arms.[/quote]

Wild Arms was pretty kick ass; I had forgotten about that one. Sadly I never took the time to get into Suikoden (hey, RPGs take a long time, and there are only so many hours in a day!)

I really regret that, as I’ve heard and read nothing but good things about it. I really liked the idea of being able to carry over your progress on your memory card from the first to the second game.

Metal Gear Solid & Syphon Filter.

MGS owned on so many levels.

[quote]Backlash79 wrote:
aznt0rk wrote:
bob_sander87 wrote:

I have to agree…

Another vote for FFVII.[/quote]

Same here. That’s the game that finally made be break down an buy a PSOne.

Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo
Tekken

FF7 and Crash Bandicoot Warped. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Backlash79 wrote:
aznt0rk wrote:
bob_sander87 wrote:

I have to agree…

Another vote for FFVII.

Same here. That’s the game that finally made be break down an buy a PSOne.[/quote]

I love FFVII, but final fantasy tactics was by far the coolest game for the PS. I wish they would make another on a hex grid, but I loved the system with job classes/magic/everything.

FF VII - VII
Tekken 3
FIFA 98 :smiley:

Oh can’t believe I left it out… The original Metal Gear Solid is one of my all time favs as well.

Final Fantasy 7 (8 was amazing too)

jumping off topic for a second but have any of you played crisis core on the psp? its also great