Favorite Nintendo Games

So, I’d still rather play NES or SNES than any new system, but I got to thinking about some of the old games.

Did anyone here ever beat Metroid? I didn’t play it too much when I was younger but it always seemed impossible to beat.

My faves were probably

Dusty Diamond’s Softball
Contra
Excite Bike
Tyson’s Punchout
Mario 3

to name a few

Metroid is a bitch to beat. Took me forever to get through that one.

Love SMB 3 and Punch-Out!

Others:
Tecmo Super Bowl
Legend of Zelda
Kid Icarus
Contra

I could go on and on…

Contra owned my soul one summer of my youth. Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, Start. Now, where is my fucking spread gun?

Rad Racer was a favorite of mine. My favorite stage was the night highway with the Corvettes.

Castlevania 2: Simon’s Quest had the coolest music in the history of video games and scared the ever living shit out of me.

Double Dragon bosses needed to do more squats.

Smash TV - Congratulations! You just won 12,000 microwaves and 50,000 meat!

The first TMNT game was tits and was hard as fuck. I don’t think I ever made it past the 5th level. The second game was crap.

Man…there were so many more but hell if I can remember any of them. Lots of SEGA games are coming ot mind though.

To add to your list, TMNT 2 and River City Ransom were also pretty good.

Blaster Master for NES is one of the few games I could never beat, and despite trying recently I still can’t beat it =/

never did care for the Zelda series :shrug:

as for SNES, F-Zero, Top-Gear and Mario Kart used to be among my faves too

I loved Metroid! I played it and beat it enough times that I was finally able to unlock Samus’ alternate costume. I was like, “Samus is a chick?”

My other favs on NES.

Zelda
Punchout
RC Racer
Kid Icarus
Rygar

You gotta love a gaming system where you could fix it by blowing either into the cartridge or the system itself.

I had a SNES too, but I really can’t remember too many of the games I played on SNES except for Super Star Wars and Final Fantasy V.

bomberman on NES

I remember there was some game about pizza. My step brother liked it a lot. These little blue and red dudes would run around tryin’ to get pizzas. Weird. I was a Super Mario guy.

Yoshi’s Island for the SNES

Donkey kong country

Mario 3
Battle Toads
Punchout
California Games

[quote]Geebus wrote:

Battle Toads

[/quote]

oh lawd

I have an emulator and still play NES games from time to time.

I always enjoyed the Mega Man series. The Dragon Warrior games were fun, too. Shadowgate and Deja Vu were frustrating as hell at times, but kinda cool.

I also thought Maniac Mansion was a great game with all the various things you could do and multiple endings.

[quote]MtbKid wrote:
Donkey kong country[/quote]

yeah, #2 was awesome. Me and a friend would stay up till 6 am at times on our way to beating it.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
I have an emulator and still play NES games from time to time.

I always enjoyed the Mega Man series. The Dragon Warrior games were fun, too. Shadowgate and Deja Vu were frustrating as hell at times, but kinda cool.

I also thought Maniac Mansion was a great game with all the various things you could do and multiple endings.
[/quote]

same here.

the one problem I run into though is that I have all the games and soon as I die, I’ll usually just change games, it’s too ocnvenient, lol

least with the actual system if you wanted to change games you had to blow in it, smack the system, or use a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol :smiley:

Mario 2 was my favorite. It was so different and innovative. The only problem was being too eager to use the warps and skip levels instead of playing through. The only game I never beat was Bayou Billy. I never got past the first level. My oldest brother had this weird small purple cartridge from Japan that had wires coming out that had something like 48 games in it.

I used to tell my friends and they wouldn’t believe me, and he lived in Austin so I couldn’t prove it. The first Mario on the SNES was the shit, and I still maintain that the Mario 64 is the most visually stunning game I’ve seen to date. I also had a genesis and a turbo graffix 16.

For the record, I beat Metroid. I can’t finish the first TMNT though, it’s too damn frustrating. I loved Ultima (all 3 on NES). I bought the NES for Metal Gear many years ago. I still play the system to this day.

Tyson’s punch out was awesome. Though I think Tyson was literally impossible to beat.

Forgot to mention the original Ninja Gaiden games. Those were crazy awesome. I think there were 3 for the original NES? The cut scenes were epic.

Nothing beats zelda in my book. I could sit an punch those chickens over and over again… Chicken “war” was the best thing ever :smiley: