Favorite Music Remakes....

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
Guns n’ Roses have a cover album called “The Spaghetti Incident?”.

For a band I’m sort of on the fence about and not really a fan, they had AMAZING taste in other bands.

Holy crap there are some good choices in there. [/quote]

Could you sir please elaborate on your “on the fence” comment? I’d be interested to hear your pros and cons of GNR.[/quote]

Sir, I don’t want any trouble :D.

Before I get into the specifics I guess I should mention that their more complex songs generally irk me the same way most prog rock bands and Queen do [an exception would be “Civil War”- which has it’s charm]. I remember us talking about Zeppelin, and if I recall correctly I went into why I thought they were a shining exception to bands who chose to make musicality “complex” songs- namely that excess was everywhere in Zeppelin’s songs, the way they were arranged, lyrical subject matter [in some songs], the way they used their instrumentalists, and of course, Robert Plant. With that, you can sort of tell that powerful noise and excess were kind of Zeppelin’s aesthetic, so they “had the right” [poor word choice] to really go for complex music like that. How that’s related to the topic at hand, is I usually don’t like musically complex songs in a pop genre like rock unless it’s tied into an complete aesthetic like with Zeppelin. Otherwise the only way I like my rock [or hip hop] songs to be complex is conceptually.

For me GnR didn’t really get that when they went to do their longer songs like the ones on the Use your Illusion record. But when I judge them as a band I usually put this aside and judge them for their other songs, since that’s where I think they’re more intriguing, anyway.

A lot of it is just my not being able to peg what kind of band they were. I’m not a fan of hair metal for the same reason most who hate it do, but while they have obvious similarities it’s pretty obvious these guys were FAR more than that.

They’re much more in the vain of the Rolling Stones, where they could hit a stride with songs that were at once sloppy and focused. The Stones were better at this IMO, songs like “Monkey Man” for example. Overplayed as it is, Welcome to the Jungle fits into this mold. So do a good 5-6 songs on that first album. It’s just they did sort of streamline their sound to fit in better with what was in as far as hard rock back then, either consciously or not. So you never really get a classic record out of them, but you get some real great ones on each record, along with some real duds.

It’s kind of the same thing with Aerosmith. These kinds of bads don’t just toe the line between “dumb hard rock” and “gritty rock n roll”, they dance on either side from song to song. Hence my being on the fence about these guys. They COULD have been one of the greats IMO.

But based on your avatar I think I pretty much disqualified my opinion with that first paragraph :D.

Hope this wasn’t a waste of time for you.

[/quote]

No, that’s a fair assessment. I’m actually not a huge fan of GNR. They have several songs that are fantastic - the aforementioned Civil War, Estranged (their best song, IMO) and November Rain to name a few - placed on albums with a bunch of other crap. They can hit a home run and then the next song you are left wondering what the hell they were thinking. Illusion I and II are prime examples of genius mixed in with fucktardedness (for lack of a better term).

I also agree on your comment about bands like GNR not toeing the line and sticking to a certain style of music. I guess some people would call it “diversity”, but with GNR, to me at least, it doesn’t come across that way. Perhaps it has something to do with the obvious musical (style) differences between Axle, Slash, and Duff.

And to add what I said about stylistic differences, I recently read a review of Chinese Democracy. The review mentioned that back before the original members split, Axle would always take the path of greatest resistance, whereas Izzy Stradlin (and the rest of the band) would try to simplify everything. That seemed to be the case in Chinese Democracy as well. I say all this to point out that perhaps this is why GNR was unpredictable on their albums.

[quote]Dustin wrote:
No, that’s a fair assessment. I’m actually not a huge fan of GNR. They have several songs that are fantastic - the aforementioned Civil War, Estranged (their best song, IMO) and November Rain to name a few - placed on albums with a bunch of other crap. They can hit a home run and then the next song you are left wondering what the hell they were thinking. Illusion I and II are prime examples of genius mixed in with fucktardedness (for lack of a better term).

I also agree on your comment about bands like GNR not toeing the line and sticking to a certain style of music. I guess some people would call it “diversity”, but with GNR, to me at least, it doesn’t come across that way. Perhaps it has something to do with the obvious musical (style) differences between Axle, Slash, and Duff.

And to add what I said about stylistic differences, I recently read a review of Chinese Democracy. The review mentioned that back before the original members split, Axle would always take the path of greatest resistance, whereas Izzy Stradlin (and the rest of the band) would try to simplify everything. That seemed to be the case in Chinese Democracy as well. I say all this to point out that perhaps this is why GNR was unpredictable on their albums.[/quote]

Good points.

Especially the point about diversity. I never really thought that was the right word for what they were trying to do either. It had a lot to do with the internal relations of the band and what each member wanted.

Good riffs and fast solo’s don’t really make good songs on their own, so Axl’s pretty much the key to that band. I didn’t enjoy a lot of Chinese Democracy, but I’ll take it over a Velvet Revolver album any day.

Anyway, good talkin’ as I’d expected :).

You might want to check out Northern Kings. They do great covers.

Bon Jovi - Dead or alive

Journey - Don’t stop believing

Frank Sinatra - My Way

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

And to add what I said about stylistic differences, I recently read a review of Chinese Democracy. The review mentioned that back before the original members split, Axle would always take the path of greatest resistance, whereas Izzy Stradlin (and the rest of the band) would try to simplify everything. That seemed to be the case in Chinese Democracy as well. I say all this to point out that perhaps this is why GNR was unpredictable on their albums.[/quote]

Good points.

Especially the point about diversity. I never really thought that was the right word for what they were trying to do either. It had a lot to do with the internal relations of the band and what each member wanted.

Good riffs and fast solo’s don’t really make good songs on their own, so Axl’s pretty much the key to that band. I didn’t enjoy a lot of Chinese Democracy, but I’ll take it over a Velvet Revolver album any day.

Anyway, good talkin’ as I’d expected :).
[/quote]

Axle definitely had the “vision” for the more grandiose arrangements. Kind of like Dewey Cox in Walk Hard, trying to write a masterpiece every time he put pen to paper. Give credit to Izzy Stradlin, as he co-wrote nearly all GNR songs with Axle. And it is no surprise that after Izzy left the band kind of fell apart. See Spaghetti Incident as the content was not original.

I didn’t care for Chinese Democracy either.

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

For a band I’m sort of on the fence about and not really a fan, they had AMAZING taste in other bands.

Could you sir please elaborate on your “on the fence” comment? I’d be interested to hear your pros and cons of GNR.[/quote]

Not really a fan of Asshole Rhodes singing, sounds too much like Kathryn Hepburn.

Warpigs - Cake

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
for all you Death Metal fans out there…Six Feet Under did a shit load of remakes on their Graveyard Classics cd…it has stuff like TNT by ACDC, and Purple Haze by Jimi, its actually pretty sweet IF your into death metal…if you dont like death metal than dont bother checking it out…
IronWarrior[/quote]

Speaking of death metal covers, Ten Masked Men exclusively does death metal covers of pop songs. Sounds like a terrible idea but I think they really pull it off. One of my faves:

haha dude, thats a great cover!! a really gay song, but they made it pretty sweet! its always kinda funny hearing death metal bands take a song like that and play is the way they do, good choice!
IronWarrior

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

Not really a fan of Asshole Rhodes singing, sounds too much like Kathryn Hepburn.[/quote]

Asshole Rose!?! I like that as well as the Hepburn comparison.

Rose’s voice is unique. He sounds like he chain smokes Newports.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
Warpigs - Cake

[/quote]

Hmmmm, not sure what to think of that.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

Not really a fan of Asshole Rhodes singing, sounds too much like Kathryn Hepburn.[/quote]

Kathryn Hepburn haha…I’m stealing that one.

Just heard on liquid metal Spineshank do a cover of Goerge Harrisons While my guitar gently weeps…okay.

Not a classic but Soulfly does a cover of Helmets Meantime that is killer imo.

I’m typing this listening to Slayer do In-a-gada-da-vida at work. Liquid metal at work FTW!

[quote]bond james bond wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

Kathryn Hepburn haha…I’m stealing that one.

Just heard on liquid metal Spineshank do a cover of Goerge Harrisons While my guitar gently weeps…okay.

Not a classic but Soulfly does a cover of Helmets Meantime that is killer imo.

I’m typing this listening to Slayer do In-a-gada-da-vida at work. Liquid metal at work FTW!

[/quote]

haha dude, listening to slayer at work, i love it!

My boss is pretty cool. Just told me I can leave early too.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
Warpigs - Cake
[/quote]

Love Cake. Especially their cover of “I will Survive”.

Rebel Yell by DOPE is a SICKKK cover!!! completely forgot about it, everyone should check it out cuz i think they did a great job at it…They also did Spin Me Round and thats a great cover too…Dope has done real well with the Billy Idol songs…
IronWarrior

Pseudo remake. Loved both bands versions, but this is by far the best:

[quote]BJack wrote:
Hurt - Johnny Cash (Originally by Nine-Inch Nails)[/quote]

Each time a thread like this pops up, someone inevitably says this very thing. In turn, I inevitably feel a strong desire to punch something while bashing my head against the wall. Is the remake a bad song? No. It’s really not all that bad. But it’s like some evil genius was brainstorming ways to ruin the original and said, “I know! I’ll get Johnny Cash to sing it in his incredible monotone. Then, I’ll completely de-emphasize the instruments that were so important to the original and replace them with a nice, unintrusive acoustic guitar to compliment the monotone voice of Johnny Cash. I’ll top it off by making sure he sings the song with roughly 1/100th the feeling of the original.” But that’s not where it ends. As if to spit on the original even more, critics could not stop gushing about how “edgy” Cash had been to cover gasp a NIN song, and soon the ignorant masses began to adopt the mindset that NIN had actually covered the song. I wish to God this cover had never come to be.
\rant

[quote]HeavyTriple wrote:

[quote]BJack wrote:

Each time a thread like this pops up, someone inevitably says this very thing. In turn, I inevitably feel a strong desire to punch something while bashing my head against the wall. Is the remake a bad song? No. It’s really not all that bad. But it’s like some evil genius was brainstorming ways to ruin the original and said, “I know! I’ll get Johnny Cash to sing it in his incredible monotone. Then, I’ll completely de-emphasize the instruments that were so important to the original and replace them with a nice, unintrusive acoustic guitar to compliment the monotone voice of Johnny Cash. I’ll top it off by making sure he sings the song with roughly 1/100th the feeling of the original.” But that’s not where it ends. As if to spit on the original even more, critics could not stop gushing about how “edgy” Cash had been to cover gasp a NIN song, and soon the ignorant masses began to adopt the mindset that NIN had actually covered the song. I wish to God this cover had never come to be.
\rant [/quote]
GHEY

[quote]BJack wrote:

\rant [/quote]

Considering Cash had one foot in the grave when he recorded this cover, I don’t think it was bad at all.

But, I do see where you are coming from.

I felt the same way when those flamers from Limp Bizkit (however the hell the spell the band name) did The Who’s Behind Blue Eyes.

[quote]BJack wrote:

\rant [/quote]

I’m really sorry you don’t like it. I kinda hate reznor’s voice in this song. I honestly thought johnny put more feeling into it.