T Nation

Favorite Music Remakes....

Today i was listening to Turn The Page by Metallica, than soon after i had Cat Scratch Fever on by Pantera, and it had me wondering what other great classic rock remakes are out there?? To start the list i will post a few and hopefully people will catch on add a bunch more!

Turn The Page - Metallica
Cat Scratch Fever - Pantera
Bad Company - 5 Finger Death Punch
Creeping Death - Bullet For My Valentine
Black Betty - Soil

There’s a recent thread dedicated to this very topic somewhere on here.

I’d like to add MACC’s version of Hendrix’s “Hey Baby” to that list. It’s actually better than Jimi’s original.
(MACC are were members of Soundgarden and Pearljam)

Hurt - Johnny Cash (Originally by Nine-Inch Nails)

ahh i didnt even realize someone beat me too it!!! well ill definitely check out that MACC song, sounds sick!
IronWarrior

In the air tonight by Nonpoint (phil Collins)

tech. not a remake of a rock song but Ecstasy of Gold by Metallica is good.(original comes from score of movie The Good the Bad and the Ugly)

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
There’s a recent thread dedicated to this very topic somewhere on here.

I’d like to add MACC’s version of Hendrix’s “Hey Baby” to that list. It’s actually better than Jimi’s original.
(MACC are were members of Soundgarden and Pearljam)[/quote]

Good pick.

Guns n’ Roses have a cover album called “The Spaghetti Incident?”.

For a band I’m sort of on the fence about and not really a fan, they had AMAZING taste in other bands.

Holy crap there are some good choices in there.

Theory Of A Deadman remade Whats Your Name (by Skynyrd) and Midnight Rider (by Allman Brothers) both are good covers, but Midnight Rider is really good!
IronWarrior

Astronomy and Whiskey in the Jar by Metallica
Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm

for all you Death Metal fans out there…Six Feet Under did a shit load of remakes on their Graveyard Classics cd…it has stuff like TNT by ACDC, and Purple Haze by Jimi, its actually pretty sweet IF your into death metal…if you dont like death metal than dont bother checking it out…
IronWarrior

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

For a band I’m sort of on the fence about and not really a fan, they had AMAZING taste in other bands.

Holy crap there are some good choices in there. [/quote]

GnR also did a great job with Live and Let Die

Lots of good ones on there.

Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face (Radio Disney Version)

Shilelagh Law is a local NY bar band that mainly does old and new Irish folk tunes. They also do a bunch of covers/medleys. This is one of my faves (not my video).

Youtube also has their version of Sweet Child of Mine that’s different, but still pretty cool.

I have seen a bootleg of Zeppelin doing a cover of Long Tall Sally. The song’s run time is only a couple of minutes, but Page turns it into a 3 minute plus song with an extended “geetar” solo.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

Could you sir please elaborate on your “on the fence” comment? I’d be interested to hear your pros and cons of GNR.

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
for all you Death Metal fans out there…Six Feet Under did a shit load of remakes on their Graveyard Classics cd…it has stuff like TNT by ACDC, and Purple Haze by Jimi, its actually pretty sweet IF your into death metal…if you dont like death metal than dont bother checking it out…
IronWarrior[/quote]

Speaking of death metal covers, Ten Masked Men exclusively does death metal covers of pop songs. Sounds like a terrible idea but I think they really pull it off. One of my faves:

Ruby by The Killers. I much prefer it to the original First Edition version.

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

Could you sir please elaborate on your “on the fence” comment? I’d be interested to hear your pros and cons of GNR.[/quote]

Sir, I don’t want any trouble :D.

Before I get into the specifics I guess I should mention that their more complex songs generally irk me the same way most prog rock bands and Queen do [an exception would be “Civil War”- which has it’s charm]. I remember us talking about Zeppelin, and if I recall correctly I went into why I thought they were a shining exception to bands who chose to make musicality “complex” songs- namely that excess was everywhere in Zeppelin’s songs, the way they were arranged, lyrical subject matter [in some songs], the way they used their instrumentalists, and of course, Robert Plant. With that, you can sort of tell that powerful noise and excess were kind of Zeppelin’s aesthetic, so they “had the right” [poor word choice] to really go for complex music like that. How that’s related to the topic at hand, is I usually don’t like musically complex songs in a pop genre like rock unless it’s tied into an complete aesthetic like with Zeppelin. Otherwise the only way I like my rock [or hip hop] songs to be complex is conceptually.

For me GnR didn’t really get that when they went to do their longer songs like the ones on the Use your Illusion record. But when I judge them as a band I usually put this aside and judge them for their other songs, since that’s where I think they’re more intriguing, anyway.

A lot of it is just my not being able to peg what kind of band they were. I’m not a fan of hair metal for the same reason most who hate it do, but while they have obvious similarities it’s pretty obvious these guys were FAR more than that.

They’re much more in the vain of the Rolling Stones, where they could hit a stride with songs that were at once sloppy and focused. The Stones were better at this IMO, songs like “Monkey Man” for example. Overplayed as it is, Welcome to the Jungle fits into this mold. So do a good 5-6 songs on that first album. It’s just they did sort of streamline their sound to fit in better with what was in as far as hard rock back then, either consciously or not. So you never really get a classic record out of them, but you get some real great ones on each record, along with some real duds.

It’s kind of the same thing with Aerosmith. These kinds of bads don’t just toe the line between “dumb hard rock” and “gritty rock n roll”, they dance on either side from song to song. Hence my being on the fence about these guys. They COULD have been one of the greats IMO.

But based on your avatar I think I pretty much disqualified my opinion with that first paragraph :D.

Hope this wasn’t a waste of time for you.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

GnR also did a great job with Live and Let Die[/quote]

Forgot about that one :).