Favorite Movie that Makes You Think

I watched in class today “Crimes and Misdemeanors” and really enjoyed it. I liked the philosophical aspects of it the most and tried connecting it to my life.

Professor Levy: We’re all faced throughout our lives with agonizing decisions, moral choices. Some are on a grand scale, most of these choices are on lesser points. But we define ourselves by the choices we have made.

We are, in fact, the sum total of our choices. Events unfold so unpredictably, so unfairly, Human happiness does not seem to be included in the design of creation. it is only we, with our capacity to love that give meaning to the indifferent universe.

And yet, most human beings seem to have the ability to keep trying and even try to find joy from simple things, like their family, their work, and from the hope that future generations might understand more.

So what is your favorite film that makes you think?

(Vague, I know)

The most recent was Barry Lydon. It wasn’t a great movie, but the way it portrayed the art of dueling, human beings fighting to the death (potentially), as a natural behavior of the human animal really made me think. Violence is normal. Our current cultural emphasis on non-violence is abnormal.

This unnatural state makes things rather difficult for us humans in some ways. Don’t get me wrong, I like being able to sleep soundly in my bed, but there are consequences for this existence too.

Platoon. War is really, really fucked up.

Confessions of a dangerous mind.

Signs

Contact

American History X

Revolver

“Naked Lunch”

“Apocalypse Now”

“Catch 22”

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
The most recent was Barry Lydon. It wasn’t a great movie, but the way it portrayed the art of dueling, human beings fighting to the death (potentially), as a natural behavior of the human animal really made me think. Violence is normal. Our current cultural emphasis on non-violence is abnormal.

This unnatural state makes things rather difficult for us humans in some ways. Don’t get me wrong, I like being able to sleep soundly in my bed, but there are consequences for this existence too.[/quote]

That’s what I’ve been thinking as well. That the only constants in life are violence and sex. Just look at our specie’s history for proof.

Movie? The Matrix…derp

Waking Life

I’m going to just go ahead and say every David Lynch movie ever made.

Donnie Darko for sure.

The Kingdom

My Left Foot
Kingdom of Heaven
Unforgiven

Crash

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Revolver[/quote]

x2

[quote]daudowen wrote:

“Naked Lunch”

“Apocalypse Now”

“Catch 22”[/quote]

Ditto.

Naked Lunch was fucked up.

Interesting that they’re all (inferior, except AN) adaptions of classic novels.

“A Heart of Glass”
“Infernal Affairs”
“The Long Good Friday”
“The Pope’s Toilet”
“The Darjeeling Limited”
“Hell is for Heroes”

And plenty more I can’t think of.

American Psycho

Ive never seen Waking Life sober. But I watched it a few times stoned and enjoyed myself.

Fearless

Fight Club.

Boyz in the hood

Saving Private Ryan

Team america.

Edit: High school musical 1&2. How could someone want to play a character in those movies? And people think prostitution is bad.

Fight Club

Kinda made me feel like a pussy, and getting into an actual knock down fist fight really is hard.