Favorite Movie Quotes, Part II

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

I know this may rustle your jimmies DB, but the entire slew of final dialogue from Pulp Fiction about Jules’ wish to make amends for his sins.[/quote]

There’s really only one quote from any of his films that I really, really like. It’s from Pulp Fiction, from Harvey Keitel’s character.

“Just because you ARE a character doesn’t mean that you HAVE character.”

Oh yeah, I also like:

“Where did you get that motorcycle?”
“It’s not a motorcycle, baby. It’s a chopper. Now c’mon, let’s go.”
“What happened to my Honda?”
“I’m sorry baby, I had to crash that Honda.”

[quote]anonym wrote:
“Say hello to my gun!”[/quote]

Jesus Christ dude, that’s not what he says! He says, “Say hello to my little friend!”

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

Verbal Kint’s devil line from The Usual Suspects. As a quote in and of itself it’s pretty catchy, but put into context of the film, it’s ice fucking cold.[/quote]

I saw this film when it first came out in the theaters. My dad took me to see a movie and we didn’t know which one to watch and had never heard of The Usual Suspects before, but I thought the movie poster looked intriguing so we chose that one. Boy were we glad we chose it! The ending is still one of the all-time great movie twists in my mind, maybe THE best.

“The news said it’s raining in New York.” Such a great line, given the context in which it is said.

“Keaton always said, ‘I don’t believe in God, but I’m afraid of him.’ Well, I believe in God and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.”

“There is No. Fucking. Coke!”

“How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?”

“There’s nothing that can’t be done.”

[quote]Irish Daza wrote:

[/quote]
I have a shirt with this written out on the back.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
“How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?”
[/quote]

Always liked that one.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

Put. That coffee. Down.

Tyler Durden was way too many gems.

“Sticking feathers up your butt doesn not make you a chicken”

“I’m going to make him an offer he can’t say no to.”

Can’t leave out my log title from Gladiator:
“People should know when they’re conquered”
“Would you Quintus? Would I”

Also can’t believe I’m the first one to get to this quote:
“Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here. This stuff will make you a goddamned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me.”

Actually there are a bunch of Predator quotes that I like lol.

“Crying’s not allowed in baseball!”

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

I know this may rustle your jimmies DB, but the entire slew of final dialogue from Pulp Fiction about Jules’ wish to make amends for his sins.[/quote]

There’s really only one quote from any of his films that I really, really like. It’s from Pulp Fiction, from Harvey Keitel’s character.

Oh yeah, I also like:

“I’m sorry baby, I had to crash that Honda.”[/quote]

Man I love The Wolf as a character, for such a short time on screen, he did have some absolutely wonderful quotes.

I like many Tarantino lines, but not because of the actual dialogue itself, but the relation it has to the film surrounding it, sometimes almost metaphysically.

For instance the tipping scene in Reservoir Dogs and how the dialogue of each character alludes to their personality and role in the film, if you go back and listen intently to the dialogue having already seen the entire film, there are some very subtle hints of absolute masterpiece foreshadowing that most very easily miss.

Perhaps more boldly present is this subtlety from Kill Bill Vol. 1:

O-Ren Ishii: Your instrument is quite impressive. Where was it made?
The Bride: Okinawa.
O-Ren Ishii: [in Japanese] Whom in Okinawa made you this steel?
The Bride: [in Japanese] Hattori Hanzo.
O-Ren Ishii: [in Japanese] YOU LIE!
[the Bride shows Hattori Hanzo marking on sword]
O-Ren Ishii: [in Japanese] Swords however, never get tired. I hope you saved your energy. If you haven’t… You may not last five minutes. But as last looks go, you could do worse.

It looks rather tame at first hand, and maybe even still a little cheesy afterwards even, but knowing the fight between Beatrix and Ishii lasts a total of four minutes and fifty nine seconds from beginning to end is very satisfying. Of course some could argue it’s just a cheesy way to throw in some movie “Easter egg” like that, but I still love when Tarantino does those things.

Has anyone here ever seen Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, starring Bette Davis and Joan Crawford? Absolute classic in the thriller genre.

“I didn’t bring your breakfast because you didn’t eat your din-din!”

“You wouldn’t be able to do those awful things to me if I weren’t still in this chair.”
“But you ARE, Blanche! You ARE in that chair!”

“Oh Blanche? You know we’ve got rats in the cellar?”

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

Oh yeah, I also like:

“I’m sorry baby, I had to crash that Honda.”[/quote]

Man I love The Wolf as a character, for such a short time on screen, he did have some absolutely wonderful quotes.

I like many Tarantino lines, but not because of the actual dialogue itself, but the relation it has to the film surrounding it, sometimes almost metaphysically.

For instance the tipping scene in Reservoir Dogs and how the dialogue of each character alludes to their personality and role in the film, if you go back and listen intently to the dialogue having already seen the entire film, there are some very subtle hints of absolute masterpiece foreshadowing that most very easily miss.

Perhaps more boldly present is this subtlety from Kill Bill Vol. 1:

O-Ren Ishii: Your instrument is quite impressive. Where was it made?
The Bride: Okinawa.
O-Ren Ishii: [in Japanese] Whom in Okinawa made you this steel?
The Bride: [in Japanese] Hattori Hanzo.
O-Ren Ishii: [in Japanese] YOU LIE!
[the Bride shows Hattori Hanzo marking on sword]
O-Ren Ishii: [in Japanese] Swords however, never get tired. I hope you saved your energy. If you haven’t… You may not last five minutes. But as last looks go, you could do worse.

It looks rather tame at first hand, and maybe even still a little cheesy afterwards even, but knowing the fight between Beatrix and Ishii lasts a total of four minutes and fifty nine seconds from beginning to end is very satisfying. Of course some could argue it’s just a cheesy way to throw in some movie “Easter egg” like that, but I still love when Tarantino does those things. [/quote]

Eh, I don’t know. It seems to me that you shouldn’t have to work so hard to enjoy a good line from a movie. I’m just not a fan of Tarantino. I think most of what he does that people really enjoy is just shit he’s ripped off from movies that are old enough so that most of the audience, who tends to be the under-40 crowd, hasn’t seen the originals. He doesn’t even bother to come up with original titles anymore, either.

Given that most of his films are really just odes to certain genres or films from the past, I was wondering how a director 30 years from now might be able to make an ode to Tarantino. I couldn’t figure it out, then it hit me. They could just film a scene-by-scene remake of Once Upon a Time in the West, throw some over-the-top, stylized violence into it, call it One Time Out West and voila! An ode to Tarantino!

“Yo bitch, you ever had your asshole licked by a fatman in an overcoat?”

Jay
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

“The force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet.”

The way Vader hisses that just sets up the entire finale of Empire so perfectly and never ceases to give me a boner.

“It’s not the years honey, it’s the milage” - Indiana Jones, Raiders

“I got that beat. [points to chest] Mary Ellen Moffat, she broke my heart!” - Hooper, Jaws

“Ahhhhh, you think darkness is your ally?”

“We can add ‘onius,’ ‘ainous,’ or ‘anous,’ to just about anything and it becomes magical.”

"But my cousin Walter jerked off in public once. True story. He was on a plane to New Mexico when all of the sudden the hydraulics went. The plane started spinning around, going out of control, so he decides it’s all over and whips it out and starts beating it right there. So all the other passengers take a cue from him and they start whipping it out and beating like mad. So all the passengers are beating off, plummeting to their certain doom, when all of the sudden, snap! The hydraulics kick back in. The plane rights itself and it land safely and everyone puts their pieces or, whatever, you know, away and deboard. No one mentions the phenomenon to anyone else. "