T Nation

Favorite Movie Quotes, Part II

Bond James Bond and I were having a little fun with some quotes from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid over in the spaghetti western thread and the original "favorite movie quotes" thread came up. Since it's been about 6 years since that thread I decided to start a new one. Have at it! And I promise that I won't post any quotes from "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" after this post.

From WAOVW?:

"Who did the painting?"
"Some Greek with a mustache that Martha attacked one night."

"Rubbing alcohol for you Martha?"
"Never mix, never worry!"

"If you pass out or throw up......And try to keep your clothes on too. There's no more sickening sight than you drunk with your skirt over your head. Your heads, I should say."

"If you even existed I would divorce you!"

"They dance like they've danced before."
"It's a familiar dance, monkey nipples. They both know it."

Chinatown:

"You've already got one going, Mrs. Mulwray."

"Your wife got excited. She crossed her legs a little too quick. You understand what I mean, pal?"

"They shut my water off. What's it to you?"
"How'd you find out about it? You don't drink it, you don't bathe in it. They wrote you a letter! But then you'd have to be able to read."

"Isn't that your phone number?"
"Is it? I forget. I don't call myself that often."

"Now where's the girl? I want the only daughter I've got left. As you found out, Evelyn was lost to me a long time ago."
"Who do you blame for that? Her?"
"I don't blame myself. You see, Mr Gittes, most people never have to face the fact that at the right time and the right place, they're capable of ANYTHING."

I love the knife quote from Gangs Of New York. Even though there's not much reason to watch it outside of Daniel Day-Lewis, I thoroughly enjoy this scene in particular due mostly to Day-Lewis' acting chops and delivery, kind of running between viciously angry and somewhat nonchalant-annoyed.

Honourable mention to the "I've abandoned my son" line/scene from There Will Be Blood.

I said, we'll get 'em liquored up and take 'em to the peachtree dance.

Little Bill: You'd be William Munny out of Missouri. Killer of women and children.

William Munny: That's right. I've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned.

Also Harry Waters' "Inanimate Object" line from In Bruges, which I believe to be one of the most hilariously scripted insults of the past decade.

Bonus points for Ralph Fiennes grumbled annoyance when he's smashing up the phone.

That's what I like about them high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age. Yes they do.

Also Yoda's "Do or do not, there is no try." from The Empire Strikes Back. Found it to be a very concise, very easily memorable motivational quote. Helped me hit some PR's many a time in the gym.

Definitely one of the more underrated quotes out there.

I always liked a lot of the lines from Empire Strikes Back.

"Don't make me destroy you." Actually, that whole scene is great. I still remember the first time I saw it. I was completely blown away when Vader reveals himself to be Luke's father.

"I'm altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it further."

"Don't forget his profile, Ed"

"Don't forget his phone call, Ed"

"Don't forget his fingers, Ed"

"Don't forget the bouquet, Ed"

--Unnamed, Unseen Cop in Raising Arizona.

(pretty much every line in Raising Arizona is one of the great movie quotes of all time).

I WAS GOING TO POST THIS EXACT QUOTE

Caddyshack is filled with great ones from Rodney Dangerfield.

Hey, you're a lotta woman, you know that. You wanna make fourteen dollars the hard way?

Hey, I'll bet you were really something before electricity.

"Well you sir are a cowardly sonofabitch! You just shot an unarmed man!"
"Well, he should have armed himself if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend."

Verbal Kint's devil line from The Usual Suspects. As a quote in and of itself it's pretty catchy, but put into context of the film, it's ice fucking cold.

I know this may rustle your jimmies DB, but the entire slew of final dialogue from Pulp Fiction about Jules' wish to make amends for his sins.

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned."
- Tyler Durden

"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."
- Tyler Durden

I enjoy both of these immensely.

And I adore the "You owe me money!" line from The Hustler.

I apologise for taking up so many posts, but I sporadically remember new ones I like at very inopportune times.

"Clear out, nothing to see here!" The Naked Gun

"Say hello to my gun!"