T Nation

Favorite Mass-Shoulder Routines

Little background, I've been lifting in a dedicatory fashion for about 7 months now and currently I stand at around 6'2 200 lbs. The trouble I'm having is in my shoulders. No matter what I throw at them, they dont seem to get larger in proportion to the rest of my body. Since I started I have noticed decent strength gains but whereas my other body parts are gaining muscle, the shoulders won't.

For the past two months I have been using the Delt Triad workout (here: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_delt_triad_round_shoulders_fast ) and it has been more or less working in the strength department, but still no relative size. Now, I rarely get sore after working my shoulders regardless of what I do. Yesterday, I decided I was just going to throw a bunch of stuff at them and see how I felt the next few days. So, yesterdays workout was as follows

5x5 Heavy Military press w barbell.
3x10 close grip high pulls
3x8 front raises w a 45 lb plate.
3x8 shoulder flyes
5x5 1 arm DB snatch w the emphasis on using my shoulder.
(probably not the best combos but like I said, I made it up as I went and just threw stuff in there.)

What I'm asking you guys is, what are your favorite routines for putting mass on your shoulders. Also, any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How much weight in the last couple months have you increased in a shoulder press you have consistently been doing? Did you ever stop and think you also might be eating just like a 200 lb person and not 230 lb person who if along the time while eating to get that size he increased his strength for reps by a substantial amount in pressing movements. Don't you think his shoulders would be bigger perhaps?

I usually do smith machine seated shoulder press.
Well right now I'm using this one cybex shoulder press machine. I grip it so my hands are semi supinated(as this feels real good on my iffy shoulders). I'm real close to using the whole stack. I'm just going to keep attacking it until I have to chain a fuckin' dumbbell around the thing and go at it for lots of reps.

After that it goes
cable or seated dumbbell laterals

Then I workout back. My shoulders get hit some when doing reverse grip bench press/flat machine press. So they're getting a lot of work regardless.

I'm just eating everything in sight also. Hard bulking when you're broke sometimes but it can be done:D.

I have a similar problem with adding shoulder mass, but there are 2 lifts that work for me: standing military press and rear delt raises. I do the military press for something like 5x3, and the raises for 4x8-10. The key here is gaining strength on the movements and going as heavy as possible. Do the raises 1 arm at a time with a DB, and do the military press at about 85% of your max.

personally for packing slabs on shoulders, i used barbell push press ( NOT smith) and Dumbells shoulder press. Followed by a super set of front raises and lateral raises. 3-4 of that superset really puts the burn on. Most importantly, dont neglect your rear delts!! you can add alot of 'size' to the overall shoulder by bringing those out.

have you achieved a bodyweight OHP yet? im not 'judging' my shoulders till i reach it (30kg to go :slightly_smiling:

1) I heard people getting good result from upright row; a guy, in particular, said that he gained strength with MP, but really started adding size when he focused on upright rows (3-4 sets of 8-12). Personally, I have no direct experience, but maybe it's worth a try.

2) How does your routine look like? If you do chest, back and shoulders on three different days, maybe your shoulders haven't time enough to fully recover and grow.

3) If you think your shoulders really lack behind your overall developement, you can try a specialization routine (after a week of "rest"): http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/hss100_shoulder_specialization