Favorite Lunges

[quote]plateau wrote:
Itchy wrote:
plateau wrote:
Itchy wrote:
Start with your ankle in line with your hip.

Use a BB first it stops you thinking about your grip.

There is no way my girly grip could allow me to hit my legs as hard if I was holding DBs.
[/quote]

I tried it with the barbell last night and the reps went alot smoother than last time. Still awkward, but I think I’m getting it. I was only using the olympic bar+20 lbs. I think with practice I will get these down. The reverse lunge is actually alot easier for me to do for some reason (as far as balance).

Oh, and x2 on the grip. I didn’t even realize my grip was weak, but when I tried these with 75 lbs. dumbbells my grip gave out before my legs.

since I’v dropped all squats and deadlifts for now, I think I’ll practice these nightly until I can start actually adding some real weight. I’m also trying to figure out some way to rig up something so I can do glute-ham raises (I train at home for the time being).

I personnally don’t like ghetto GHRs, how about RDLs or good mornings?

[quote]plateau wrote:
I personnally don’t like ghetto GHRs, how about RDLs or good mornings?[/quote]

I have a back injury.

Lunge variation I like best but am trying to nail down the form on is the “curtsey” cross lunge with a loaded barbell - try it, it fries your legs. The key is to not let your core collapse as you tire out

It’s from Robert Dos Remedios’ book - “Power Training” (yeah, I know it’s a Men’s health book but it has got decent leg exercise variations)

Also to round out a leg workout when the space is free I do bodyweight walking lunges across the conditioning room floor, for sets & distance.

[quote]jaybvee wrote:
Lunge variation I like best but am trying to nail down the form on is the “curtsey” cross lunge with a loaded barbell - try it, it fries your legs. The key is to not let your core collapse as you tire out

It’s from Robert Dos Remedios’ book - “Power Training” (yeah, I know it’s a Men’s health book but it has got decent leg exercise variations)

Also to round out a leg workout when the space is free I do bodyweight walking lunges across the conditioning room floor, for sets & distance. [/quote]

Jaybvee, who is that in your avatar? She just got added to my spank bank.

Her name is MC Barao & yeah, she is very easy on the eyes. You can Google her & she is also on Model Mayhem.

I’m quite confident she does lunges as well.

[quote]Itchy wrote:

do you find it’s easier to do these with a barbell or dumbells?
[/quote]

I think easier would be barbell because i don’t have to worry about grip, but that is obviously cumbersome for walking lunges so I like dumbbells for those. Also, with dumbbells, your spine isn’t directly loaded and it’s easier to “stay tall.”

[quote]Fezzik wrote:
Itchy wrote:

do you find it’s easier to do these with a barbell or dumbells?

I think easier would be barbell because i don’t have to worry about grip, but that is obviously cumbersome for walking lunges so I like dumbbells for those. Also, with dumbbells, your spine isn’t directly loaded and it’s easier to “stay tall.”[/quote]

I’m going with the barbell for now. gonna try to add a little more weight tonight. I work out in a 12x12 room in my house, so walking lunges are out.