Favorite Lunges

so whats everyones favorite lunge, the only lunge i really have ever done is walking long step db lunges but obv theres a tone more. After seeing lee priest do one leg at a time with dbs i might try that. So tell me when you guys do lunges what do you usually prefer?

I’m personally a fan of walking lunges. But recently on my quad days, i’ll put one foot up on a bench and lunge with DB’s, it adds a nice balance component.

Walking Lunges used to be my favourite but recently dynamic lunges with a ‘twist’ I’ve really seen a difference.

It’s nothing groundbreaking, but the lunges I’m talking abut are dumbell dynamic lunges where you vary the length of the step every 2-3 reps or so.

I.e. 3 reps short stride, 3 reps medium and 3 reps with a long stride forward, taking care to land and push off from your heel each time. That’s one set with about 9 reps in total. Then repeat

Overhead Barbell, love them for locking in good core posture either before or after squats.

Reverse DB Lunge.

Recently I did walking lunges without weight at the end of my workout, but the kicker was I would stay low during each lunge (kinda like duck walking). It was brutal

I like any lunges done by Ronnie Coleman followed by his catchphrases.

I have a question:
Until recently, the only exercises I’ve ever done for my legs have been squat and deadlift variations, all done on 2 legs. After fucking up my back, I decided to give lunges a try so as to reduce the load on my spine.

Anyway, what I wanted to know is–Is it SUPPOSED to be hard as hell to keep your balance on these when you first start practicing them? I have to go really slow and concentrate to keep from wobbling. Is this common or is my balance just awful?

Walking lunges are great, but it’s -40 and 3 feet deep of snow here, so forget it. I like Alternating lunges with fat bar.

[quote]esk221 wrote:
Reverse DB Lunge.[/quote]

x2

I sometimes do them off a small step (no more than a 12").

[quote]PHGN wrote:
Walking lunges are great, but it’s -40 and 3 feet deep of snow here, so forget it.quote]

Then do them inside

I’m a big fan of barbell lunges. Hard on the lungs, too.

I will NEVER do lateral lunges outside of the mobility complex, though.

I am a bigggg fan of walking DB lunges. I usually grab my bodyweight and go as long as I can. I’m soon gonna try BB walking lunges… and it’d be cool if I got to doing like twice my bodyweight with walking lunges… lol :slight_smile:

I actually liked walking DB lunges better than squats. I feel it in the tear drop muscle much more for some reason… and they wreck my glutes like nothing else.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
I have a question:
Until recently, the only exercises I’ve ever done for my legs have been squat and deadlift variations, all done on 2 legs. After fucking up my back, I decided to give lunges a try so as to reduce the load on my spine.

Anyway, what I wanted to know is–Is it SUPPOSED to be hard as hell to keep your balance on these when you first start practicing them? I have to go really slow and concentrate to keep from wobbling. Is this common or is my balance just awful?

[/quote]

I’ve really only ever had problems balancing when I get pretty fatigued, but if you’ve never done it before then it should be pretty difficult to balance. Just like any other exercise, it takes a while to groove the motion into muscle memory. It will help to do extended warm ups with this, and they would help your back out as well. Bodyweight x 12, broom stick x 12, bar x 12. And if you are going to do unilateral work to spare your back, make sure to do it early in the workout if not first. Lunges can put torque your back if you are prefatigued.

I like all the variations, but I can’t really do reverse lunges for some reason. It always ends up hurting my knees.

[quote]Itchy wrote:

[/quote]

Do you do them statically, i.e. 1 side at a time? If not try that.

[quote]plateau wrote:
Itchy wrote:

Do you do them statically, i.e. 1 side at a time? If not try that.[/quote]

I’ve tried them both. I think part of my problem is figuring out how far apart my feet should be. The whole thing just feels really awkward.

Also, for some reason my right knee has a weird grinding pain in it today. This is really pissing me off. I’m thinking I’ll add in a couple of light sets of these for the next few workouts so I can get in the practice and find the right groove.

[quote]Fezzik wrote:

I’ve really only ever had problems balancing when I get pretty fatigued, but if you’ve never done it before then it should be pretty difficult to balance. Just like any other exercise, it takes a while to groove the motion into muscle memory.

It will help to do extended warm ups with this, and they would help your back out as well. Bodyweight x 12, broom stick x 12, bar x 12. And if you are going to do unilateral work to spare your back, make sure to do it early in the workout if not first. Lunges can put torque your back if you are prefatigued.

I like all the variations, but I can’t really do reverse lunges for some reason. It always ends up hurting my knees.[/quote]

do you find it’s easier to do these with a barbell or dumbells?

walking db lunges

I like walking db lunges best too. I always do them last on leg day, and it feels good to look and see the distance you have to go, motivates me more.
They really smash me though, cardio wise and in the quads when I do them and in my glutes the next day.

Itchy what weight are you using? I only use 17.5 kg dbs but I only feel off balance on the last rep or two of a 22 step set.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
plateau wrote:
Itchy wrote:

Do you do them statically, i.e. 1 side at a time? If not try that.

I’ve tried them both. I think part of my problem is figuring out how far apart my feet should be. The whole thing just feels really awkward.

Start with your ankle in line with your hip.

Use a BB first it stops you thinking about your grip.

There is no way my girly grip could allow me to hit my legs as hard if I was holding DBs.
Also, for some reason my right knee has a weird grinding pain in it today. This is really pissing me off. I’m thinking I’ll add in a couple of light sets of these for the next few workouts so I can get in the practice and find the right groove. [/quote]