🏛 Favorite Lessons from Stoicism

It seems like a lot of lifters are into the principles found in stoic philosophy, which is fitting. Anyone who lifts weights is voluntarily exposing him or herself to discomfort on a regular basis. So even if you’re not really thinking about it, you’re most likely practicing some of the virtues found within it.

Share your favorite ideas/quotes rooted in this philosophy. Then tell us how you apply it in real life or why it’s important to you.

1 Like

The biggest lesson from stoicism that I’ve integrated is “You can’t affect what happens to you, you can only affect your reaction”

This shift in mindset put the control of my reality directly in my hands. Do i have slips, sure, but in general understanding my locus of control has improved my life immensely.

La’

2 Likes

I really want to chime in on this topic, but frankly I don’t visit enough boutique coffee shops, and I have no man bun… I believe I’m unqualified.

I’m pretty “meh” about most stuff though :man_shrugging:

1 Like

stoicism is based more on action than theory…

For instance: “Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.” - Marcus Aurelius, some famous stoic guy, probably

2 Likes

The Stoics taught me “Don’t trust Joaquin Phoenix!”

3 Likes

There will come a time when being big and ripped might not be possible or advisable for health reason.
One good lesson from Stoicism can be to learn to accept that.

Nothing sums it up better than:

Claim: “I can deadlift 6 plates, and I’m built like Flip, but maybe better shoulders.”.

Response: " Ok. Post a video.".

Claim: crickets

5 Likes

Please tell me this is an actual event rather than something you just made up as an example

Greenboy. He thought a 6 plate deadlift meant 3 on each side, and claimed to be built “alot like flip, but with better shoulders”.

He then sent unwanted pics to @EmilyQ 's email, and claimed a stock walmart photo as himself.

Never provided an iota of proof for any of many grandiose claims.

Not joking.

I think he was a bit flabbergasted that 6 plates meant each side.

5 Likes

Oh man, I completely forgot about that guy. Don’t remember that claim from him, but I do remember the wild antics.

1 Like

Say what you will about that dude, I know I have, but he really played ball with the waterman joke Pwn hit him with.

1 Like

I would have to look back for a refresher on that one. My mind has become like an intractable jumble of bro-science and free porn.

My favourite passages from Meditations (Penguin Classics translation):

Book 1, Passage 15: “From Maximus: self-mastery, immune to any passing whim… the uncomplaining energy for what needs to be done…”

Book 6, Passage 22: “I do my own duty. The other things do not distract me. They are either inanimate or irrational, or have lost the road and are ignorant of the true way”

Book 8, Passage 36: “… ask yourself… ‘What is there in this work I cannot endure or support?’ and you will be ashamed to admit such a thing…”

Those three are pretty applicable to well… anything.

Whilst not a stoic text, Nassim Taleb comments on Seneca’s philosophies in Antifragile (great book). He writes about two lessons from the Greek philosopher:

1. The Barbell: Dedicate 90% of your time/resources to simple, low-risk strategies to prevent losses; dedicate the remaining 10% to high-risk, high-reward strategies to provide opportunity for tremendous upside.
2. Detachment: Have lovely things, but be prepared to lose them at any time

Lastly, Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday taught me that confidence is often the greatest obstacle to progress

1 Like

He was just a little more puffy, or something along those lines.

1 Like

Man I forgot about that dude … fun times

1 Like

Seneca was a Roman.

1 Like

My mistake :slight_smile:

Seneca was from Hispania. So, he was Hispanic.

A Mexican, if you will.

Uhm … seems legit

But for real, the folks inhabiting Hispana at the time were mainly of Celtic origin so…

1 Like

Australians are from Australia, so Hispania would have Hispanians.

But i did chuckle at the idea of Seneca being a Mexican via your logic.