Favorite/Least Favorite Event + Best/Worst Event to Compete In

Damn I had a good laugh!

Btw how heavy was the squat lift in your competition.

Same question.

Also how did they set the depth? Was it individual or was everyone squatting to the same depth and how did they determine the depth in that case?

Everyone did a squat with just wagon wheels to begin with (60 or 70kg total). The platforms were adjusted so you got to parallel.

The event was for weight and reps. So you choose your weight and go for as many reps as possible. Weight beats reps - so 1 rep at 170kg is better than 165 for 10.

From memory, the weights started at about 150, I can’t remember how many reps but a few. There was 280 or something as the biggest squat. Rising bar meant the guy just did what he had to do, definitely had more in the tank.

The platforms really threw some people off. Those who never squatted to depth but thought they did and people who had wonky squats really suffered.

This was actually a brutal event. It took a long time. It was the first of 5 and it definitely tanked people for the rest of the comp.

1 Like

BTW, the biggest stuff up was from people who missed depth, began to raise from the squat then decided to lower back down again to touch the platforms. So they did 1.5 reps.

I missed depth on one side on one squat. I just finished the rep and accepted a no rep. It’s best not to miss but if you do, just go on. 1.5 reps are far more difficult than 2 reps IMO.

Just looked it up: 371lbs. Odd weight, haha.

Depth was set before the competition. We’d get it measured by the judge who would be calling it, and then they’d set it for each lifter. Kinda like yoke height.

1 Like

At your level of competition this must have been a rep fest.

Yes and no. I took second with 14 reps and first was 15, but for everyone like us, there were 2 or 3 people that would squat 1 rep, bounce it off the blocks and lose the bar. It was actually a SUPER fast event as a result. Most people failed with 1 rep, and alluva sudden it was your turn to go. I’m glad I didn’t wrap my knees, because I wouldn’t have been ready.

in general, i’m good at, and am best at, static stuff, and i dislike and suck at carries.

My least favorite event I’ve done in comp is either yoke carry or conan’s wheel. Both have crushed me.

My favorite events have been stones, the deadlift for rep events I’ve done (although these are HELL when you’re done), and arm over arm pull. Also really liked the front squat event I did.

The events I’m best at are stones (I think there’s a decent chance I’m like a top 15 stone lifter in the world in the 181 class), deadlift, squat events when they come up, and I was really good at arm over arm pull, although I haven’t done it enough to know how I stack up against really good competition. It’s kind of funny, I didn’t think I was very good at axle clean and press, but it turns out I have the state record for my class.

The other event I suck at, that isn’t a carry, is circus db. I have to work on that.

The fingal fingers thing looks cool. I’d like to do a back squatting event, never done that. I haven’t had stone of steel in competition, I look forward to that in the future.

1 Like

Favorite/Best - Deadlift(any variety), because there is no reason to be alive if you cannot do deadlift!

Least Favorite/Worst - anything with an Axel, because I have big palms but short fingers and bent pinkys so I struggle to grip them.

Most want to try - Atlas Stones, because I have never had a chance to, have done natural stones and sandbags, also used to lift up my Washer to practice awkward object lifts which I enjoy.

More mundane: I haven’t lifted a wooden log - I would love to give it a go.

I saw an Instagram clip of an event where it’s a log, hasn’t had the bark removed, no handles, no weight, isn t propped up by tyres/mats. It just looks like someone found it lying there and thought how about this is an event?

Looked awesome.

I have never done a natural stone to shoulder. After seeing a bunch of IG posts of people doing natural stones to shoulder, I really really want to avoid it haha Looks hideous.

Edit: case in point:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bey5nKsFBT8/

1 Like

That’s a really good one. Glad you shared that, I saw it over the weekend. I’ll add natural stone lifting to my list of things I’d like to do in comp. That seems pretty awesome.

that looks so rugged

Haha if he cracked open a beer afterwards it would have been the manliest thing ever.

Flip, sorry to be so late on this question, but since I compete at 181 as well and am generally just average on stones (my best is 350 to 48"), how do you like to train them?

That’s respectable for your weight class (assuming you can cut a bit of weight - depending where you compete)

@strongmangoals and @I_AM is this a joke?

That’s not just respectable, or average. That is top 10 in the US for that weight class, period. There’s a 360 stone at USS nationals this year in a medley, and I’ll be surprised if 5 people get it. Doesn’t matter where you compete, if you’re doing a 350 stone at 181, you are an elite stone lifter.

And it’s to 52"!! That’s a fucking 2x bodyweight stone to chin height for me. Hahaha I’ve been training to nats height for a month now and have gotten 335 to 52". 360 is a whole different animal. I was thinking the same thing bout only a handful of guys finishing that series at Nats, especially after 4 other hip-dominant/low-pick movements. Should be fun. You gonna be there @flipcollar?

yep, I’ll be there. 360 is brutal. I thought the platforms were going to be shorter for the heavier stones, is that not accurate? I haven’t looked at the contest info recently, so I’m not positive.

I haven’t gotten 360 yet. And I don’t actually have one to try. I’ve gotten 340, and that’s the heaviest stone I’ll be training with. But yea, with stones almost certainly being the last event of the day, it’s hard to believe more than a few guys will get that last stone. I’m working to be able to 1-motion the first 2 stones in the series to save some time, in case all I can get is 3 stones in the series. I think how fast you finish the first 3 will heavily impact placing. I would expect maybe half the competitors to even make it through the first 3 stones, 330 is no joke either.