Favorite Kimura Setups?

This is my favorite Kimura setup. What are you guys doing?

Nice, I like that one. I rarely get it though since most guys in my gym and in competition will posture like crazy.

Personally I get mine from the high guard with one shoulder trapped (shoulder-guard?).

When the opponent defends the armbar sometimes they’ll start framing and posturing to prevent a possible triangle. Use that as an opportunity to attack the other arm (the one that would end up inside the triangle) by pulling on their head and shifting your hip to that side. Get the kimura grip and bring a leg in front of his head, so you end up in a kimura-omoplata type position.

From there I either extend my hips, break his grip and finish the kimura, or use the omoplata to sweep. If you manage to get a proper kimura grip, its easy to get an armbar if your opponent forward-rolls. If he steps over your body, bail on the kimura and sit up before he gets across for the sweep.

I only go for it from side control.

If opponent is postured up, I’ll fake hip bump sweep to the point where opponent has to land his hand to the mat. By then I’m that much up, that I can wrap his hand and lock the kimura. Fall back and the rest is about normal.

This is the best video, I could find quickly.

ah, I get that one more often. Not like the vid though. Most of my sparring partners counter the hip-bump sweep by driving into me, no hand on the mat. They usually leave an opening though, which is enough to sneak the arm in.

Like zecarlo I usually get the kimura from side control. When transitioning from side control to north-south, I isolate the opponent’s arm, with an underhook or otherwise. If necessary, I’ll give them a bit of space to bait them to turn to their knees and go for a single leg. Now if you have the arm isolated, hit the kimura grip while using it and the squeeze in your legs to stop them rolling over.

Isolating the arm is crucial against good-blue belts and above, but a good many less experienced guys will leave a bit of room when they turn over, enough that you can sneak an arm in there.

I get this one A LOT. In competition too. Usually, I’ll fake the kimura and sit back for an armbar. When I do this, I’ll abandon the kimura grip (arm towards head) and switch (arm towards legs), cross my feet under the guy’s shoulders to stop the clock-walk escape, and grab the nearest leg for the “spiderweb position”.

Sorry for the long description, hope it comes across in writing, lol.

[quote]guhkes wrote:
If opponent is postured up, I’ll fake hip bump sweep to the point where opponent has to land his hand to the mat. By then I’m that much up, that I can wrap his hand and lock the kimura. Fall back and the rest is about normal.

This is the best video, I could find quickly.

I like this one.

There’s also the vicious option, once I get the lock, to press my elbow against the back of his/her neck. So not only does my victim feel pressure and pain on his/her arm/shoulder, but on the neck joint as well.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

I like this one.

There’s also the vicious option, once I get the lock, to press my elbow against the back of his/her neck. So not only does my victim feel pressure and pain on his/her arm/shoulder, but on the neck joint as well.
[/quote]

Hmmm…that sounds awkward from the bottom. If you can dig your elbow into their neck…seems that you won’t be in position to get right leverage on the kimura itself. Considering how you have to get your hips out…and maintain proper wrist/arm control.

Not calling bs…but just trying to visualize that. Although I could see what you’re saying MAYBE if you were applying an Americana from top side control…???

Oh…and I tend to find the kimura from side-control…or after transition to north-south position. I find it difficult to secure with another big guy from bottom guard.

I like side control as well. The way I most often get it is:

-go for Americana (whatever set up you prefer)
-opponent reaches across with far arm to attempt defense
-step over opponent’s head with “high” foot (foot closest to head) to attempt the armbar
-opponent bends are to defend armbar
-come down to high knee so that you are now kneeling on either side of opponent’s head with them on their side and either grip wrist with high hand, weave lower hand under arm and take a traditional kneeling kimura, or underhook opponent’s forearm with high arm lock hands together and take a modified kimura

Sort for the novel, and I came up with this while rolling, so not sure if there are any YouTube vids for demo purposes

Meant to say sorry for the novel

^Nice, I’ll try that one out today.

I call it a wristlock. Then no one sees it coming.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

I like this one.

[/quote]

Hmmm…that sounds awkward from the bottom. If you can dig your elbow into their neck…seems that you won’t be in position to get right leverage on the kimura itself. Considering how you have to get your hips out…and maintain proper wrist/arm control.

Not calling bs…but just trying to visualize that. Although I could see what you’re saying MAYBE if you were applying an Americana from top side control…???[/quote]

Nope. Not Americana. Just from a guard position.

Definitely doable for me. My hips are little bit out than usual I must say but I still manage to keep an excellent control of both wrist and arms.