T Nation

Favorite Hip Hop Acts?

I love Hip Hop and I’m curious to know how it goes down with the rest of the T-Nation crew. I can’t stomach commercial ‘gangsta’ shit like 50 Cent, The Game. Far too much bling, hoes and all that shit. But I love guys that have the ability to expand your consciousness with the drop of a rhyme. Favs at the moment include:

Blackalicious
Saul Williams
The Roots
Roots Manuva (the UK’s finest exponent of Hip Hop)
Subtle (The Anticon label’s finest)
Buck 65 (Canadian Hip Hop/Beat Poetry, stunning)

Jesus, I could go on listing for days;-D

Tone

[quote]TONEdef wrote:
I love Hip Hop and I’m curious to know how it goes down with the rest of the T-Nation crew. I can’t stomach commercial ‘gangsta’ shit like 50 Cent, The Game. Far too much bling, hoes and all that shit. But I love guys that have the ability to expand your consciousness with the drop of a rhyme. Favs at the moment include:

Blackalicious
Saul Williams
The Roots

Tone[/quote]

I’m with you on the Roots, Gift of Gab/Blackalicious, and Saul Williams. I need to look up the other artists, though.

I’ve been listening to quite a bit of Sage Francis, also. Blackstar is also a favorite.

Oh, and if you like spoken word and poetery, check this out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EweFcBdD1zo

-Nate

Another thread gave me the idea to “review” very good/great albums in my T-Nation blog. I just started and my first enrty was Gang Starr’s Daily Operation. I plan on adding new albums frequently to expose people to music that they might not have otherwise known. Check it out if you’re interested.

Nas
Busta Rhymes
Diggable Planet (I still don’t understand why they quit)
Pharcyde
The Roots
Lauryn Hill

In my MP3 player right now:
Gnarkes Barkely
Busta Rhymes
Nas
Nelly Furtado
The Blade II soundtrack
The Black Eyed Peas
Outkast
NeYo
LL Cool J
Evenescence

[quote]Nate Green wrote:
TONEdef wrote:

Blackalicious
Saul Williams
The Roots

Tone

I’m with you on the Roots, Gift of Gab/Blackalicious, and Saul Williams. I need to look up the other artists, though.

I’ve been listening to quite a bit of Sage Francis, also. Blackstar is also a favorite.

-Nate[/quote]

I agree with both of you on The Roots, great stuff. Blackstar is also one of my favorites also. Or solo, Talib Kweli and Mos Def are excellent. If you like Mos Def, check out Black Jack Johnson. It’s Mos Def with his rap/rock band. Interesting stuff. And it’s not that crap rap/rock like Kid Rock or Limp Bizkit.

Jurassic 5 is also another one of my favorites.

Aesop Rock is awesome, be sure to check him out.

[quote]dre wrote:

Aesop Rock is awesome, be sure to check him out.[/quote]

Good choices. And Jurassic 5’s new album just came out and it might be their best yet.

Underground hip hop is where the real music is…

Yak Ballz
Cage
Weathermen
Jedi Mind Tricks
Non Phixion
On.Be.Lo
Apathy
Celph Titled

If you really like Hip Hop and haven’t listened to any of these guys, Check em out.

Gang Starr
Nas
Immortal Technique
Rakim
Masta Ace
Jedi Mind Tricks
Aesop Rock
New Obie Trice

Generally old school shit, the last few years have been terrible music wise.

[quote]Nate Green wrote:

-Nate[/quote]

The Blackstar album is fantastic. I love Mos Def and Talib. I still think Mos Def’s 1999 album “Black On Both Sides” is better, but it’s a close thing.

If you like Sage Francis, you’ll love Buck 65 and Subtle. Subtle and another Anticon favourite, cLOUDDEAD are, IMO, pushing the boundaries of Hip Hop like no other guys. Also check out “Fear of a Black Tangent” by Busdriver, sublime!

If you were to only get one of the ones I’ve listed get Roots Manuva’s “Awfully Deep”. No-one mashes genres like Roots Manuva. he has a fantastic knowledge of all music. I’ve never understood why UK Hip Hop doesn’t get more press when we’re producing such high quality artists like Roots.

Thanks for the youtube vid. I look forward to hearing Buddy Wakefield’s album.

Tone

PUBLIC ENEMY #1 !!
Geto Boys (w/ Willie D, of course)
Wu-Tang (RZA or 4th Disciple productions)
Gravediggaz (not so much the second album)
The Roots (first few albums)

[quote]dre wrote:
Aesop Rock is awesome, be sure to check him out.[/quote]

Dre, did you ever hear “Crooked” by Evil Nine featuring Aesop Rock? Un-fucking-believable.

[quote]TONEdef wrote:
dre wrote:

Dre, did you ever hear “Crooked” by Evil Nine featuring Aesop Rock? Un-fucking-believable.[/quote]

Nope, but i’ll try to find it. Thanks for the heads up!

VANILLA ICE !!!

[quote]malonetd wrote:
dre wrote:

Good choices. And Jurassic 5’s new album just came out and it might be their best yet.[/quote]

I didn’t know that they just came out with a new album. I’ll have to pick that up. Thanks!

I LOVE HIP HOP. So many artists: here are a couple that I am listening to currently.

-The Demigods
-The odd couple (Jay Love and Lois Logic)
-Pete Rock
-Damian Marley
-Juice
-Boot Camp
-Hiero ya’ll!!
-Scram Jones
just to name a few. I scratch records on the daily so I am constantly looking for new material

Control Machete doesn’t get enough mention. I especially dig the Solo Para Fanaticos album.

I’m in total agreement with the awesomenes of Roots, Mos, Talib, Blackalicious, Roots Manuva, Buck 65…etc.

Sage Francis is brilliant “Inherited Scars” is one of my favourite tracks.

Also have to to give the nod to Viktor Vaughn/MF Doom, Quannum collective, DJ Shadow and Qbert…

Who could forget the old guys like Tribe, Gangstarr, Common and PETE ROCK?!

[quote]dre wrote:
malonetd wrote:
dre wrote:

Good choices. And Jurassic 5’s new album just came out and it might be their best yet.

I didn’t know that they just came out with a new album. I’ll have to pick that up. Thanks![/quote]

It’s called Feedback. Also, The Roots have a new album coming out at the end of the month, although early reviews say it’s not nearly as good as their earlier stuff.

In addition to what’s been said Biggie was a great act. No matter what Biggie song I played when I was DJ’ing the crowd would errupt. It wasnt just an east coast tri-state area thing either.

His stage presence was very limited. He didnt do many large concerts. He would always show up at clubs around the area and just lay out some great impromptu shows. Too bad his life was cut short as I miss the big fella! :frowning:

[quote]malonetd wrote:

It’s called Feedback. Also, The Roots have a new album coming out at the end of the month, although early reviews say it’s not nearly as good as their earlier stuff.[/quote]

I think i’ll pick up that album this weekend. Again, thanks for the heads up!

I’ll have to keep an eye out for the new Roots album too.