T Nation

Favorite GYM: Cons / Pros

Looking for some statistics about gyms…

What is the best gym you have ever gone too and why:
What gym do you currently go to:
How much do you pay for your membership:
What do you like about your gym:
What do you NOT like about your gym:

Are you a computer program? I just want to be sure before I start listing things.

1. The best gym I’ve ever been to was a World Gym in Winnipeg that was huge…lots of space and a high ceiling with proper lighting and the music wasn’t loud.

2.I go to a World Gym in Taiwan that has little in common with the one in Winnipeg.

1. I got a deal a few years ago where I paid about $120US a month for 18 months then it became free after that. I won and stayed longer and now haven’t paid a cent for the gym in about 6 years!

2. My gym has enough equipment and all the things like steam room and sauna.

3. Oh my God…I could go on all day.

Music that’s too lud and it’s the same music every day. Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and Nickleback. I’m not kidding.

Guys making loud noises while lifting. I’m not talking about deadlifting grunts…I mean 20lb curl wheezes and moans.

People that do the same thing every day…and I don’t mean Squat Guy, as that’s a good thing to be, I mean weird stuff like Rear-Delt Raise Guy…does it every day for 30 minutes kind of thing. Or the woman that does the treadmill…walking at 1.5kph…slower than 80 year-olds walk down the street.

There’s a PT that trains in the moring…it’s usually just me and him around the dumbbells…and he peps himself up with “OK…you can do it!” to himself before he does 25lb DB bench. That’s really weird.

But as I said…I go for free now.

[quote]Nards wrote:
Are you a computer program? I just want to be sure before I start listing things.

1. The best gym I’ve ever been to was a World Gym in Winnipeg that was huge…lots of space and a high ceiling with proper lighting and the music wasn’t loud.

2.I go to a World Gym in Taiwan that has little in common with the one in Winnipeg.

1. I got a deal a few years ago where I paid about $120US a month for 18 months then it became free after that. I won and stayed longer and now haven’t paid a cent for the gym in about 6 years!

2. My gym has enough equipment and all the things like steam room and sauna.

3. Oh my God…I could go on all day.

Music that’s too lud and it’s the same music every day. Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and Nickleback. I’m not kidding.

Guys making loud noises while lifting. I’m not talking about deadlifting grunts…I mean 20lb curl wheezes and moans.

People that do the same thing every day…and I don’t mean Squat Guy, as that’s a good thing to be, I mean weird stuff like Rear-Delt Raise Guy…does it every day for 30 minutes kind of thing. Or the woman that does the treadmill…walking at 1.5kph…slower than 80 year-olds walk down the street.

There’s a PT that trains in the moring…it’s usually just me and him around the dumbbells…and he peps himself up with “OK…you can do it!” to himself before he does 25lb DB bench. That’s really weird.

But as I said…I go for free now.[/quote]

No, no, no. I am not a robot. I am looking to start up a gym in a few years!

That is very impressive that you have the free gym! /Applaud. Yeah ‘those guys’ who do that heavy duty moan and groan to lift 20 pound dumbbells HAHA. It’s unfortunate too that I see some kids trying to curl weight or lift weight they cannot and really using terrible form. I destroyed my athletic career because of that. Lifting with no one to assure me it was being done properly.

But thank you I highly appreciate that feedback. Again ace job on the free membership man!

Thanks.

Yeah, my dream would be a gym that still caters to both sexes, but isn’t dark with neon lights and spotlights (like my gym) and with a boss that would be famous (or infamous) for being a strict jerk. I mean the kind that told people to put their weights away or get kicked out, that sort of thing.

That may not be the best way to run a business…but the loyal members would love it.

I’ve been waiting for 7 years to say this:

The best gym is the one in my garage. Music is as loud or quiet as I want it. I can drop the weights, grunt, use chalk, lift without my shirt off, bang She Say on the bench, the benefits never end.

[quote]sen say wrote:

The best gym is the one in my garage. Music is as loud or quiet as I want it. I can drop the weights, grunt, use chalk, lift without my shirt off, bang She Say on the bench, the benefits never end. [/quote]

x2. Although I’ve never used my bench that way, lol.

[quote]sen say wrote:

The best gym is the one in my garage. Music is as loud or quiet as I want it. I can drop the weights, grunt, use chalk, lift without my shirt off, bang She Say on the bench, the benefits never end. [/quote]

What gym have you used previously where you had to lift with your shirt off?

^x3 its not my garage but my cousins we can lift whenever without annoying ppl or music, and use as much chalk as I want . Since I’m in the military i use whatever gym is on base best thing is its free , worst thing is I gotta sneak my chalk in and hope the gym nazis don’t see me

[quote]The Rattler wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:

What gym have you used previously where you had to lift with your shirt off?[/quote]

Magic Mike’s Gym and Dick Circus

[quote]nnoellabieniec wrote:
Looking for some statistics about gyms…

What is the best gym you have ever gone too and why:[/quote]

Armbrust Pro Gym in Denver, Colorado. For one, it’s Phil Heath’s home gym, 'nuff said. Number two, a number of other extremely top-level competitors/athletes train there, which promotes an amazing work environment that isn’t easily replicated. Also, there’s a plethora of machines and equipment for all lifestyles and modes of training. Lastly, motivation EVERYWHERE on the walls. In the “leg room” (which probably deserves a point by itself) there are pictures of Platz, Ronnie, Branch and other monster legs draped all across the walls. Nothing much better than getting done with some kind of intense set, feeling like fuck, and then seeing a picture of Platz squatting 5plates A2G to make you sack up.

…Armbrust Pro Gym. lol. Not for much longer, though… :frowning:

$45, which is the most expensive option, as I opted for a month-to-month contract. Still extremely fair IMO.

… … I believe this was already covered.

[quote]What do you NOT like about your gym:
[/quote]

It emasculates me daily, which I do kind of also enjoy.